Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the FC Pre-Flight service dead?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Purely out of curiosity, how did that conversation go? Or at least, what did you say that motivated the FA to do her job? Was she hostile/defensive/begrudingly doing it?
It was an unpleasant conversation at first but after cracking a joke the fa went above and beyond.... its all about how you relate to people.....ive had many phone agents gate agents fa do stuff this isnt technically allowed but its all about how you approach the situation 😉
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
32 segments in DL F so far this year, I think I was not offered a PDB on 2 of them
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
On a Delta flight last year in FC, I arrived during zone 2 boarding, I politely asked for my beverage of choice as I passed the galley. The FA acknowledged and asked which seat I was in and fought her way through zone 3 boarding to bring it to me! Guess who received a JWD cert.? Ask nicely if not offered. If time allows most will accommodate.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dzflyer
It is beverage service #1 and #2 when you ask for 2 woodfords😃😃😃
I stand corrected, it should have been beverage service 3 and 4!!!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
On a Delta flight last year in FC, I arrived during zone 2 boarding, I politely asked for my beverage of choice as I passed the galley. The FA acknowledged and asked which seat I was in and fought her way through zone 3 boarding to bring it to me! Guess who received a JWD cert.? Ask nicely if not offered. If time allows most will accommodate.
I have found that asking nicely has almost always yielded positive results.

I can see how some might feel that the they should not have to ask and I sort of understand that, but I feel that the few seconds it takes to ask almost always yields a positive result than it is worth it.

I was in Economy recently and had to take my third dose of Z-Pack and asked for a glass of water to take back to Economy with me to take my pill. The Flight Attendant at first said I should wait till in-flight, but when I showed her the pill she gave me a glass of water without issue. I asked why the hesitation and she said that many people will say they have to take a pill to just get a cup of water, even if they do not have to take a pill. I am not sure why she cared if one truly has/had a pill to take, but either way I got my cup of water and took my pill.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:05 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
4 for 4 on our recent fligts to LAS. (Yeah, I know Southwest does it nonstop but we're Deltaholics and really like to know we'll sit together.)

Otherwise, I've occasionally been asked for an aloft choice when they're really pushing a late load.

Haven't noticed NYC crews being bad, but I try to avoid that. Also proudly a Diamond reboot with NO ATL flights at all!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What did you ask for? Was it something complicated which could not be done in a short time?

Whether offered or not, I've never been refused any pre-departure service other than when there are special circumstances (e.g., quick taxi, boarding problems and the like).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by kmersh
I can see how some might feel that the they should not have to ask
Honestly, if you aren't getting a PDB, it's your own fault (or the flight is way late, which is an ops issue not FA issue).

Strategy 1 - ask. Never had it NOT work.

Strategy 2 - inform. This is different than asking, and usually the strategy for later boarding (getting on with zone 2 because of connection, whatever). As you walk past the FA, hand them your coat and say "i'll have a woodford, thanks!" Don't be a dick, but firm politeness.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Strategy 2 - inform. This is different than asking, and usually the strategy for later boarding (getting on with zone 2 because of connection, whatever). As you walk past the FA, hand them your coat and say "i'll have a woodford, thanks!" Don't be a dick, but firm politeness.
Well that kicks out a large portion of the FT crowd now doesn't it.

Can that even be posted? Obviously so, since it was posted.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Honestly, if you aren't getting a PDB, it's your own fault (or the flight is way late, which is an ops issue not FA issue).

Strategy 1 - ask. Never had it NOT work.

I completely agree that asking never hurts and that is my modus operandi when in First Class and the Flight Attendants are not offering a Pre-Departure Beverage for whatever reason.

With regards to Strategy 2, I am less comfortable with that one as I personally lack the finesse sometimes in my speech and would not want to run the risk of causing issues between me and the Flight Attendants possibly resulting in unwanted negative attention. My Wife has warned me that even though I am not meaning to sound "dickish", I have the potential, so I find that being as friendly and cordial as possible is the best outcome for me.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by kmersh
With regards to Strategy 2, I am less comfortable with that one as I personally lack the finesse sometimes in my speech and would not want to run the risk of causing issues between me and the Flight Attendants possibly resulting in unwanted negative attention. My Wife has warned me that even though I am not meaning to sound "dickish", I have the potential, so I find that being as friendly and cordial as possible is the best outcome for me.
Wow, it sounds your wife and my wife are sisters, even though my wife is an only child
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
No PDB this morning OKC-ATL and no we did not board late.

As I board, I noticed that there were plastic cups with ice ready to go. Putting up my rollaboard, I mention I need a cool drink (not alcohol) as I am dressed warm for the Australian winter.

An FA eventually comes from the last row forward to take orders. However, the lead FA becomes obsessed with putting late comer's luggage in the FB bins that were empty due to a leisure family that put all their fear at their feet. Our departure is delayed due ot luggage being loaded below but the FA closed the door declaring we were ready to row then got all 3 FAs together for a loud conversation.

This was a D1 ticket and with no lounge in OKC the tomato juice with ice would have been appreciated.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Interestingly, I was ex-MCI this week. We were delayed and the GA announced at least 3 times that there would be no ground service for premium passengers due to the fast turn around. I was not even in my seat before the FA was taking my order for a PFB. He then did a round of refills while we were taxiing.

Sent DL a note thanking them for his great service.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by stewie7669
I'm afraid to ask since one of them might go to the captain, call me disruptive (to their social cackling) and have me removed from the flight--for having dare questioned their actions. You can't say ANYTHING to a FA anymore without them diverting the plane and calling in the Gestapo to take you away in handcuffs (out of an "abundance of caution" of course---GAG!!!)
this is not United. Maybe your confusing the two???
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
I've seen PDBs on most flights unless catering is late.
Traveler tip: handing your jacket to the FA on a 737-900 is useless as the closet is in the back of first class and the jacket may end up folded over something in the galley until the aisle is clear.
Also, any FA that lets a passenger possess a PDB during taxi is risking their job if the FAA is on board. (FAR 121.577)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.