Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have not been offersed a PDB on 3 flights this year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have not been offersed a PDB on 3 flights this year

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Had a PDB yesterday on DL ATL-LGA and everything was late (crew, catering etc). Fantastic service all around.
I have never understood why a flight being delayed has anything to do with FAs offering a PFB. In almost all circumstances (sure there may be a few situations), there is still going to be a good 20 minutes from when PREM boards to when the last pax gets on.

It's one thing when you score an u/g and you're just happy for the extra room, but if DL wants their F cabins filled by the WFBF crowd, they ought to provide that level of service. It's like going out to some trendy, highly-rated restaurant and being told their will be no amuse-bouche because the kitchen is behind.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
No PDB on a LGA/DTW flight a couple months and the flight boarded early and it was a NYC based crew. That flight pissed me off because the FA doing first and one of the coach were up in the galley gossiping a lot of the time during boarding and he didn't bother hanging jackets until coach was in the final boarding stage. I know the First FA was a former NW flight attendant. Also pissed me off because he waited until at least 10 minutes after when he could have safely get up to do the beverage service and he got a little huffy with my seatmate for asking for a refill. One pass of the snack basket and he didn't say anything when I took two items.

I had a couple flights this year that were delayed and a GA made an announcement at the gate that there wouldn't be a beverage service on the ground in first class due to the late departure and to try to get the flight out on time but in those cases the FA's were great about doing a service as soon as they were able to get out of their seats and the one on my LAS/DTW flight was taking dinner orders after we boarded and the door was shut but while we were still at the gate along with drink orders and as soon as he was able to get up got everyone their drinks.

I understand if a flight is late boarding not doing a PDB if the FA's are helping the passengers out to get the flight out ASAP, but they should do a PDB before they gossip in the galley.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
No PDB on a LGA/DTW flight a couple months and the flight boarded early and it was a NYC based crew. That flight pissed me off because the FA doing first and one of the coach were up in the galley gossiping a lot of the time during boarding and he didn't bother hanging jackets until coach was in the final boarding stage. I know the First FA was a former NW flight attendant. Also pissed me off because he waited until at least 10 minutes after when he could have safely get up to do the beverage service and he got a little huffy with my seatmate for asking for a refill. One pass of the snack basket and he didn't say anything when I took two items.
I wondered if this is a thread that would make someone go there!!!
It's been so long the acronym has been forgotten (it's PMNW, isn't it?).
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kmersh
--On DL GA announced they were not going to offer service prior to take off and the Lead Flight Attendant came out and profusely apologized for not being able to offer his best service prior to take off.

The level of apology was surprising as it was only a Pre Departure Beverage, but clearly at least some employees must care.
This has been my experience too.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
2 recent mainline round trips in paid first: MSP-MKE and MSP-MSY. I was not offered a PDB on any of those segments. On the most recent return from Milwaukee, someone requested a beverage and was denied until we were in the air. None of these flights faced any unusual time pressures. Boarded, departed and arrived on-time or early.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I wondered if this is a thread that would make someone go there!!!
It's been so long the acronym has been forgotten (it's PMNW, isn't it?).
Yes it is PMNW. Someone above stated they weren't offered PDB's on MSP flights, and I am wondering if it's because they are PMNW's crew and not because it's NYC based crews.

Before the merger the FA's on Delta were a lot better with PDB's than the NW flights I took.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
Some FAs are just better/nicer/more attentive than others. Be sure to give feedback if you get the survey.
Good idea and I plan on it if i get the survey.

I had been 100% on PDB's since last July (not counting delayed flights which often times they still give PDB's) until the last 3 weeks and all were NYC based crews.

I have heard the apology as well for late aircraft and catering. It is a nice touch and much appreciated. On these 3 flights nothing was said other than the emergency briefing.

Overall DL is excellent with PDB's and was curious of others experiences. Service in the air was good as well last night. Refilled drinks and multiple passes of the snack basket.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Yes it is PMNW. Someone above stated they weren't offered PDB's on MSP flights, and I am wondering if it's because they are PMNW's crew and not because it's NYC based crews.

Before the merger the FA's on Delta were a lot better with PDB's than the NW flights I took.
Going through this now on AA. US gets me my Bloody without fail...I mean every flight regardless. Last week I was on LAX-PHL both boarding and catering were late. They stopped Y boarding to let the carts through. Within 1 minute if the bev cart brakes being set she was at my seat with a Bloody. AA on the other hand is horrible when it comes to PDB. They SOMETIMES offer oj or water and when I say "Bloody" I get the scowl. I am told PDB will be one of the US traits adopted by AA...lets see how long THAT takes.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I prefer NYC and DTW GAs since they actually enforce the boarding zones. NYC FAs? Not so much.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
The PDB has been hit and miss often over the years, mainly due to short turnarounds, but it seems that it has been more of a miss lately. I'm not saying that it is completely gone, but I think there is a link to the lack of the PDB and the silly PREM boarding scheme. I am seeing EC filling up before FC, which doubles the amount of people trying to board and restricts the ability of the FAs to move in the aisles without disrupting the boarding process. BTW, I am also seeing jackets and coats being taken at the end of boarding as the door closes, now more often than before.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SYRRDU
The PDB has been hit and miss often over the years, mainly due to short turnarounds, but it seems that it has been more of a miss lately. I'm not saying that it is completely gone, but I think there is a link to the lack of the PDB and the silly PREM boarding scheme. I am seeing EC filling up before FC, which doubles the amount of people trying to board and restricts the ability of the FAs to move in the aisles without disrupting the boarding process. BTW, I am also seeing jackets and coats being taken at the end of boarding as the door closes, now more often than before.
The only change made to PREM is that diamond's can now board which I like since I have a bulkhead C+ seat a lot if I'm not upgraded. I can't imagine there being that many diamonds who are sitting in the back of the bus on a flight that it will impair the PDB. That's a benefit I hope Delta keeps for diamonds or at least allow diamonds to board between PREM and SKY
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
... at least allow diamonds to board between PREM and SKY
As a Diamond, I am all for that. I have been very fortunate over the years and even in this post-FCM world (78 of 89 possible UGs this year). But I see the EC getting filled up faster than FC very often, especially out of RDU. 757's are the exception, where the FAs can move throughout FC without disrupting boarding.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
No PDB on BUF-LGA last week. Flight boarded on time and everybody was in and seated with ample time for PDB. No attempt was made to serve anybody nor any reason given for not serving.

One drink offered with one pass of the basket and a "humpf" given when I took 2 items instead of one and he had to re-fill the basket for the row behind me.

IIRC they were also NYC based FA's.
Did you try asking for a PDB?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I posted above about my one flight without PDBs; IIRC it was ATL-MSP. The rest of the time, I've been offered PDBs, including on exMSP flights recently, although I do recall one flight a while ago when the timing did not permit PDBs but the FA took drink orders at the gate and served beverages very quickly after takeoff as well as being attentive about refills; to me, it was an overall positive experiences.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:47 pm

The issue with delays creates all sorts of scenarios...and in my experience of 2.5 million miles about 50% of the time it's an excuse to not do work - i.e. providing pre-flight beverages.

In cases where it's clear there's no catering or I'm on a plane like the 737-900 and it's boarding late, I just let it go. But if I ever see a f/a phoning it in (examples provided above) I will make sure I ask - even if it's for a cup of ice. Those type of flight attendants deserve to be subtly called out on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.