Wiki Posts
Search

FC SDC with miles/certificate upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, Kimpton IC, Hilton Gold
FC SDC with miles/certificate upgrade

I've received 3 different answers (yes, no, it depends) from the Diamond line (even when they ask a supervisor) for this simple question:

If I use miles (12.5k miles on a K+ fare) or a certificate to upgrade to FC, do the SDC rules for FC (any flight with a seat available) apply to me?

The most common response I've heard from DL is that as long as it's not a complimentary upgrade (i.e. I use something to upgrade), I can SDC to any flight with a FC seat open within 24 hours. However, I just had a flight today on a mileage upgrade where they said they couldn't move me to an earlier flight with a FC seat open because it needed to be a paid FC fare.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Yes -- but execution is inconsistent, so you may need to HUCA a few times.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
I've just had two Medallion-line reps, combined with a twitter rep, all tell me "upgrade space" has to be available to do SDC and take your, in my case, RUC, with me. Despite two F seats for sale, zero upgrade space is available and I'd have to be wait-listed. While I appreciate the consistency for a change, it isn't the answer I was hoping for.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
From https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-changes.html#

Bolding is mine

Eligibility
You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.
If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.
If you have an Economy fare, you can only be rebooked in the same fare class as your original flight.
If you have a premium cabin fare, -- including Delta One™, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin
Award Tickets are same-day confirmed eligible.
Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible.
Same-Day Confirmed changes from connection to non-stop flights are not permitted.
Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day confirmed travel changes.
ADDITIONAL RULES
Medallion complimentary upgrades do not transfer to your rebooked ticket.
Trip Extras or seats purchased for the original flight do not transfer to your rebooked ticket. Please note the original terms and conditions for Trip Extras, Delta Comfort+™ and Preferred Seats.
The same-day travel program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply.
See the following posts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25168784-post1883.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25168784-post1884.html

Last edited by SuperG1955; Jul 25, 2015 at 7:22 am Reason: Additional links added
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Thanks for those links. Helpful as I called back again, referenced that specific language, and had a very helpful agent who admitted lots of agents don't know this is allowed (acknowledging that she herself only learned by accident several months ago). She also said if I run into that again to ask the agent to look up the SDC rules, as their rules clearly state paid, mileage, and certificate upgrades are eligible for premium cabin changes regardless of fare class/upgrade space availability.

HUCA-and-A-and-A.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I just used my iPhone camera to take a screen shot of that quote so I will be able to reference it when I'm talking to a less-than-fully-informed agent ... which may be in three weeks when my son and I are flying back to the east coast (I found a one-off A330-300 on the SEA-ATL redeye and used miles to lock in a pair of UGs from $364 K fares, but he's stuck with a 3+45 connection to RIC ... the extra $50 for the SDC beats the extra $158 for the H fare with a 1+25 layover)

interestingly, the website showed my desired BWI flight in Q at $407, but the agent on the PM line priced it in K for booking
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Last week I called the DM line 5 different times, and was told it was not possible to SDC a flight already upgraded with a RUC to a flight with open F seats unless ... Some said the original Y inventory had to be available first (and it wasn't) and then the RUC would be reapplied and I'd be waitlisted for F since there was no F upgrade inventory available, and others said they could only SDC me if there was F upgrade availability. Didn't have time to call any more. As it turned out I was able to get to the airport in time for an even earlier flight, and the Skyclub agent was able to SDC me easily; she even commented that the computer didn't give her any grief this time.

I wish the rules were posted somewhere on dl.com so we all know what to expect.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by ats262
Last week I called the DM line 5 different times, and was told it was not possible to SDC a flight already upgraded with a RUC to a flight with open F seats unless ... Some said the original Y inventory had to be available first (and it wasn't) and then the RUC would be reapplied and I'd be waitlisted for F since there was no F upgrade inventory available, and others said they could only SDC me if there was F upgrade availability. Didn't have time to call any more. As it turned out I was able to get to the airport in time for an even earlier flight, and the Skyclub agent was able to SDC me easily; she even commented that the computer didn't give her any grief this time.

I wish the rules were posted somewhere on dl.com so we all know what to expect.
Look at Post #4 in this thread. The rules are quoted there and the link to the Delta.com page is the first line of the thread.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Look at Post #4 in this thread. The rules are quoted there and the link to the Delta.com page is the first line of the thread.
I'm not seeing anything in the rules that explains SDC options when an RUC upgrade had already been confirmed. What am I missing?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I'm not seeing anything in the rules that explains SDC options when an RUC upgrade had already been confirmed. What am I missing?
It appears there is no specific publicly available Delta.com reference with that detail; however look at the following thread and the Wiki with a relevant mail content therein:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...y-options.html
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:12 pm

You're not reading the other links in the post.

From the first reference:

After having similar SDC issues on an RUC upgraded flight a couple months back, I wrote in to confirm the policy for miles/RUCs and got the below reply on July 13th. Remains to be seen if reading this to the agent will have any impact if/when I attempt to do this again in the future...

------
Thank you for your email to Delta inquiring about same-day travel
changes.

Although the same booking class (e.g. Q, K, L or U) still needs to be
available for same-day confirmed changes on the Main Cabin tickets, the
following updates have been implemented:

1. The $50 same-day confirmed fee will be waived for Diamond, Platinum
and Gold Medallion members.
2. In addition, you are able to request a same-day change up to 24 hours
before your original flight departure time, rather than only on your day
of departure.
3. Effective March 18, 2014, when flying in our premium cabins --
including Delta One, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day
confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin,
regardless of whether your exact booking class is available. This
includes paid upgrade, mileage upgrade, Global and Regional Upgrade, and
Systemwide Upgrade tickets.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members flying in Main Cabin may
continue to stand by free of charge when their booking class is not
available.
-----
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond

Assuming this is still the "policy" I have an interesting option.

Scheduled JFK-SAN direct with a confirmed RU.

I'd do the JFK-LAX-SAN as an alternative - I'd leave a little earlier (no problem there) and arrive about 1/2 earlier as well.

Anyone ever do this? Go from a direct to a connection and from a "transcon" to a D1 transcon?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: DL exDM MM

Thanks for sharing the text of the email. Like others I have had problems finding a Diamond-line agent or supervisor who would let me SDC when using an RUC.

Not sure that reading the text of an email received by someone else and posted on FT will be compelling. Would much rather read from and be able to forward the text from an email I have personally received.

So please tell us: Where did you send the inquiry and how did you ask the question? Perhaps if CS is inundated with the same question from dozens or hundreds of pax DL will post the following pertinent text at Delta.com:

"Effective March 18, 2014, when flying in our premium cabins --
Systemwide Upgrade tickets."
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Assuming this is still the "policy" I have an interesting option.

Scheduled JFK-SAN direct with a confirmed RU.

I'd do the JFK-LAX-SAN as an alternative - I'd leave a little earlier (no problem there) and arrive about 1/2 earlier as well.

Anyone ever do this? Go from a direct to a connection and from a "transcon" to a D1 transcon?
Since JFK-LAX-SAN is a legal routing, you should be able to do it. I've almost done something similar; what prevented it was that the first flight was showing a delay that would cause a missed connection.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by captiveguru
Thanks for sharing the text of the email. Like others I have had problems finding a Diamond-line agent or supervisor who would let me SDC when using an RUC.

Not sure that reading the text of an email received by someone else and posted on FT will be compelling. Would much rather read from and be able to forward the text from an email I have personally received.

So please tell us: Where did you send the inquiry and how did you ask the question? Perhaps if CS is inundated with the same question from dozens or hundreds of pax DL will post the following pertinent text at Delta.com:

"Effective March 18, 2014, when flying in our premium cabins --
Systemwide Upgrade tickets."
It was not from a post I made, I just referenced it.

I'd suggest that you write to DL yourself so that you have your own, personalized response to quote over the phone. I send all of my important queries, requests and letters via fax and usually get a response via email unless the communication is addressed to a specific senior executive. I only do that when absolutely necessary since I don't want to build a reputation as a chronic complainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.