Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same day MR - Will RUC apply to all segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 10:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC

If one were to do a same day MR, say the following:

TPA-ATL-DCA-DTW-TPA

Would 1 RUC apply to all the segments or would you have to use two?
Old May 29, 2015, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
If one were to do a same day MR, say the following:

TPA-ATL-DCA-DTW-TPA

Would 1 RUC apply to all the segments or would you have to use two?
You need one for each fare component, which means two for a RT unless you have a broken fare.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You need one for each fare component, which means two for a RT unless you have a broken fare.
How can one tell if it's a broken fare?
Old May 29, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
How can one tell if it's a broken fare?
Look at the fare construction which DL no longer shows on receipts.

If you see a change in the fare class, it must be a broken fare, but there could be strange cases of broken fares that use the same booking calss.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
With a normal (non-broken) fare your trip would require 2 upgrade certs... one for the outgoing TPA-ATL-DCA and 1 for the return DCA-DTW-TPA segments.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
With a normal (non-broken) fare your trip would require 2 upgrade certs... one for the outgoing TPA-ATL-DCA and 1 for the return DCA-DTW-TPA segments.
That's what I said in psot #2.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops, must've hit page down instead of scrolling and missed that.

Another way to tell if you have a broken fare is if the paired outbound or return segments are in different buckets... for example if TPA-ATL is X and ATL-DCA is L then its a broken fare.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

That being said, I've had few problems on a broken fare getting them applied in one direction providing the flights are on the same day. Recently booked BOS-HND but it was two fares, BOS-LAX and LAX - HND. One GUC cleared the whole way to Tokyo.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:01 pm

Oops, must've hit page down instead of scrolling and missed that.

Another way to tell if you have a broken fare is if the paired outbound or return segments are in different buckets... for example if TPA-ATL is X and ATL-DCA is L then its a broken fare.
I also said that in post #4.

However, I think there can be some obscure cases where two segments can book into the same fare class or booking class despite there being a broken fare.

Another weird example might be something like the following: you purchase a G fare which is really L-UP for a connection from mainline to a CRJ-200. I *think* the booking classes then must be G and L, which *might* also show up on the itinerary and receipt as fare classes G and L respectively even though it's not a broken fare and uses the same (through) fare code LXXXXX-WNUP for both segments.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen those where I had an A on mainline connecting to an L on an RJ. Back when you could see all of the breakdowns, the L leg did indeed have the same fare code with the /WNUP as the A. Only received base miles/mqms for the L segment however and not the first class bonus.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Okay just checked - so my routing is booked in X on TPA-ATL-DCA and in K for the return DCA-DTW-TPA. So if it's broken then can I use one RUC?
Old May 29, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you misunderstood... what you have is considered a common and normal fare... where the 'outbound' is different than the 'return'.
You need 2 GUCs, one for the flights out and one for back. Doesn't matter that it is same day. The system will see DCA as your 'destination' so your GUC ends there.

If you had broken fares, you'd need more than two.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:49 pm

I've seen those where I had an A on mainline connecting to an L on an RJ. Back when you could see all of the breakdowns, the L leg did indeed have the same fare code with the /WNUP as the A. Only received base miles/mqms for the L segment however and not the first class bonus.
In the past, I also saw cases where the G A P fare generally wasn't offered except as a broken fare, although strange things would happen if one of the flights were very full, specifically if the mainline segment was sold out in coach IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.