Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Redeem SkyMiles for economy int'l flight, then pay for C+ upgrade ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeem SkyMiles for economy int'l flight, then pay for C+ upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:47 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question Redeem SkyMiles for economy int'l flight, then pay for C+ upgrade ?

This may seem like a newbie question, but I had never obtained a ticket with the following combo.

Can I redeem my SkyMiles for a round trip to Europe at the shown economy rate on Delta's website (for example 82,500 SkyMiles), and then after the fact, upgrade to a C+ seat by paying the $99 (or whatever the upgrade cost is)? Or is this combination not possible?

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
This may seem like a newbie question, but I had never obtained a ticket with the following combo.

Can I redeem my SkyMiles for a round trip to Europe at the shown economy rate on Delta's website (for example 82,500 SkyMiles), and then after the fact, upgrade to a C+ seat by paying the $99 (or whatever the upgrade cost is)? Or is this combination not possible?

Thanks!
Only for the international flights. Any domestic connection flights require a ticket for C+
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Only for the international flights. Any domestic connection flights require a ticket for C+
When is the OP traveling? The rules change on May 16th. Until then, it should be possible to pay for C+ seats even on domestic award tickets, although a $99 fee currently suggests international, but could the the fare difference after May 16th.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When is the OP traveling? The rules change on May 16th. Until then, it should be possible to pay for C+ seats even on domestic award tickets, although a $99 fee currently suggests international, but could the the fare difference after May 16th.
True on the date. However OP notes they're flying to Europe on a reward, thus it's international flight. A fare difference would be in miles, not $ since this is an award ticket.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
True on the date. However OP notes they're flying to Europe on a reward, thus it's international flight. A fare difference would be in miles, not $ since this is an award ticket.
However, how will domestic connecting segments that are part of an international itinerary be treated? Does it matter if one has direct flights or a through fare? AFAIK DL's rules aren't clear, especially for travel after May 16th.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, how will domestic connecting segments that are part of an international itinerary be treated? Does it matter if one has direct flights or a through fare? AFAIK DL's rules aren't clear, especially for travel after May 16th.
I was told by DM phone agents and IME so far if it's a direct flight you can upgrade, even on the "domestic" portion. If you are actually connecting though then the domestic flight isn't upgradeable. I agree the rules aren't clear, just going by what they've told and done for me so far.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, was able to redeem the miles, then upgrade to C+.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Thanks, was able to redeem the miles, then upgrade to C+.
For the domestic portion? Or just the international?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
I bought my wife a TATL RT with miles, then upgraded return TATL to C+ for $109, just finished the trip.

PS - CitizenM at AMS ROCKS!!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

For the domestic portion? Or just the international?
This is for a round trip JFK to OTP and back. I have to stop at AMS on the way there and at FCO on the way back. the longer Atlantic legs can be upgraded to C+ for around $99 (which I charged on my reimbursable Amex cards). The much shorter flights over continental Europe are on partner airlines using small aircraft so C+ doesn't apply there.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I booked a coach ticket with miles and upgraded to C+ with cash, but that was before the changes to the program were announced, so I don't know how it works now. I'm curious to know about this as well... Can you do a Miles+Cash booking for C+ and F, or just Y?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by EditingFX

+1

A nice operation and no waiting for check-in, check-out and most importantly - a van to the terminal.

I don't think we'd want to do more than a day at a time with more than 1 person..
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by EditingFX

Agree 100%. I would even stay there for a few days and commute on the train to center city. I didn't know about the van but the walk is no more then a few minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.