Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uh, where did the beer go?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Did I miss something? The work stations were still there several months ago. The DTW clubs (all three in the main concourse) are about the only clubs that still have this business-person convenience.

There is also ATL centerpoint... which I almost hate to mention for fear that a mention will call it to the attention of Va Ave... since it is one of the few unravaged clubs that still resembles a Crown Room.
There once were a lot more cubicles in the center DTW lounge; what's left are only a few plus the seats in the open "workroom" with the printer and Delta Vacations brochures. The ones on the ends of A seem untouched.

MSP C still has cubicles and they're heavily used. Sadly MSP F/G was deltafied early in the merger.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There once were a lot more cubicles in the center DTW lounge; what's left are only a few plus the seats in the open "workroom" with the printer and Delta Vacations brochures. The ones on the ends of A seem untouched.

MSP C still has cubicles and they're heavily used. Sadly MSP F/G was deltafied early in the merger.
In the meantime, we can be confident that the few cubicles that remain are not there due to Va Ave's largesse and their interest in customer service but, rather, because Va Ave has not yet convinced themselves that the cost of removal can be recouped by the incremental mass-occupancy potential.

And, yes, I had forgotten about MSP C... they are quite heavily used.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
There is also ATL centerpoint... which I almost hate to mention for fear that a mention will call it to the attention of Va Ave... since it is one of the few unravaged clubs that still resembles a Crown Room.
Along the same lines - I believe MCO, of all places, also still has workstations tucked away off one of the back hallways. It too still resembles a pre-merger Crown Room - actually, I think it has the best 'southern hospitality' architecture of any club in the region.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:18 pm

What work area in the main DTW SC? DL removed the wonderful private carrels a while back.
Gotta know where to look. There are still 4 left.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:23 pm

<sigh>

There is a cadre of your sort who can only maintain a debate by asserting false statements, thoughts, or motivations to others.

You cling to straw man assertions like a drowning man clings to a scrap of wood.

While it may not be apparent to you, it is clearly evident to others.

You, and the rest of the TOPTIP** group lessen the quality of discourse in the forum.

** TOPTIP = Typically Only Post To Insult People
I would suggest that you carefully reread what I posted. Because any statement that starts with "If" is conditional, and only ascribes motivations to someone who satisfies the conditional.

If you choose to be insulted, then everything appears to be an insult.

See what I did there?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate

See what I did there?
Yes, I see what you did there... or, rather, did not do.

You failed to take responsibility for your actions.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Gotta know where to look. There are still 4 left.
Yes, I know there are a few, plus a few more chairs in the open windowless room with the counters, but there once were a whole bunch of wonderful private cubicles. Back then you could almost find an empty one.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by slidergirl
No. I'm saying that it appears that DL has downgraded the beer offerings to only have those 2 Buds on tap and any beer in bottles was moved to the "Luxury Bar" offerings. Only theorizing on that, since it looked like SLC did't have the full bar set up (only the new, free stuff) and in ATL those 3 bottles were on the bottom shelf of the "Luxury Bar" setup (along with some 3 bottles of flavored vodka). If anyone else had observations, I'd appreciate them to either reinforce or refute my assumption.
This was the case at the DCA SkyClub on May 7th.

2 complimentary domestics on tap--- Bud and Bud Light--- anything bottled, [a.k.a., non bear wizz] was for available for purchase.

Surprised considering that there hasn't already been major complaints to DL yet, considering that Washington D.C. is the Happy Hour Capital of America.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Max M
2 complimentary domestics on tap--- Bud and Bud Light
I know it doesn't really matter, but I'm pretty sure the comp choices at all the clubs are Bud and Miller Lite (not Bud Light).
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:15 pm

Most popular beer in the USA is not the same as the most popular beer among (potential) DL SC users. It's not the same demographic.
its not?
Not to be a dick but can anyone prove this?

IMHO it isn't for the majority of the FT crowd, but a lot of people on here would complain if Delta found a cure for cancer so i don't think that is a good sample size.

as I said below, I can promise Delta isn't throwing away beer. So clearly someone is drinking it.
Depending upon which survey you look at, the Honda Accord is the most popular car in the US. Perhaps Hertz should only offer Accords when we go to rent a car?
if they wanted to in that size class sure. Its not really apples to apples unless you compare size classes.
Simple fact, if i am going to try to bring people in, i am going popular. Clearly Delta isn't having many problems with the bud offering or they wouldn't do it.

I can promise, no one in ATL is going to be happen tossing kegs and kegs of beer away.
DL decorates the remodeled clubs with local landscape photos (half of which are mirror images of the others, to cut costs). Presumably, they do this to instill a sense of "locality" or "community." Serving a local microbrew, as once was permitted before the bean counter revolution, would be in keeping with this intent.
I don't see what pictures in a club have to do with beer.

Again, if i am opening a airline club, a bar, a restaurant, whatever.... first step is the most popular things.

I think we both agree that it would be great to have this or that in the Skyclub. As i have said, if Delta would offer Miler lite, Crown and Captain I would but buying a SC membership tomorrow. I don't expect them to do so however. (having said that, I don't have an issue with the beer, the liquor sections in the SCs do suck, IMO)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If you were running a truck driver's lounge, having only the Buds might make sense.
As someone who drinks beer like Bub/Bud light I find this post not only so amazingly stupid that it is a joke but also fairly offensive. I know plenty of people who fly all the time and have club memberships and, i know this is shocking to some, drink bud and/or bud light.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Did I miss something? The work stations were still there several months ago. The DTW clubs (all three in the main concourse) are about the only clubs that still have this business-person convenience.

The BOS Sky Club has somehow managed to retain all of its cubicles.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Besides, beer does nothing to promote "good taste and a dignified atmosphere".
Seriously? You find beer itself inherently undignified?

I don't get FT sometimes. People complain regularly here about the poor quality gin, food, wine, and scotch and nobody blinks. Someone complains about the poor quality beer, they're derided for being a snob.

Maybe Delta should get rid of the current paltry food options and replace them with McDonalds. After all, McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in the US. They should also get rid of CNN on the TVs and put on something more popular like nonstop reality shows.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:53 am

Yes, I see what you did there... or, rather, did not do.

You failed to take responsibility for your actions.
Nope. You chose to be insulted. That is not my fault or intention.

Thanks for playing.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by realjd
Seriously? You find beer itself inherently undignified?

I don't get FT sometimes. People complain regularly here about the poor quality gin, food, wine, and scotch and nobody blinks. Someone complains about the poor quality beer, they're derided for being a snob.

Maybe Delta should get rid of the current paltry food options and replace them with McDonalds. After all, McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in the US. They should also get rid of CNN on the TVs and put on something more popular like nonstop reality shows.
Not my point at all. People who complain about the quality of the free stuff and do not consider paying for an upgrade are undignified.

Consider the following:

Guest 1: "God, the beer is warm, flat and tastes like p*ss!"

Guest 2" "Yes, it is. But at least it's free!"

Guest 1: "I'll drink to that! Barkeep - two more of the free stuff."
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
its not?
Not to be a dick but can anyone prove this?
This article, from the Brewers Association, shows how closely the demographics of craft beer and business travel are aligned. They actually cite Delta as an example.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/i...ng-craft-beer/

I don't have secondary sources for the craft beer segmentation (although I don't find it odd that affluent, 25-45 year old males form the core audience!) I do, however, have corroborating data for business travel from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. From http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/ri...ss_travel.html :

Who Travels
* More than half of all long distance business travel is made by professional, managerial or technical workers
* More than half of all business travel is made by individuals age 30 to 49
* Over one-fourth of all business travel is made by those who earn $100,000 or more annually
* Almost eight out of every 10 business trips (77%) are made by men

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.