Search

What happens if I "miss" a connection

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
What happens if I "miss" a connection

I'm flying J today SVO-JFK-ATL-TUL.

The connection at JFK is someone tight but should be manageable - over an hour. My JFK-ATL flight is 439 at 3:30. However, there is a later flight at 5:30 (which I would rather be on anyway) which would still get me to ATL in time for the same final segment to TUL.

A. what happens if I don't get to the gate for flight 439 (assuming Delta's flights aren't delayed)? Will they automatically rebook me on the 5:30? Will I have to pay a change fee or fare difference?
B. can I call and get a same day change for free? I'm only silver medallion.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Assuming you are on a single ticket, and you miss for a reason out of your control ( your late, to tight, etc) then they will put you on the next available, which is not necessarily the next flight. If that later flight is full, they might put you on the next morning, or select an alternate path to get you to your final destination.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
To answer your second question, no. No free same day changes for a Silver.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by vatali
Assuming you are on a single ticket, and you miss for a reason out of your control ( your late, to tight, etc) then they will put you on the next available, which is not necessarily the next flight. If that later flight is full, they might put you on the next morning, or select an alternate path to get you to your final destination.
If you misconnect (presuming one ticket) due to late delivery by DL, DL is obligated to rebook you. If you misconnect for other reasons, DL has no obligation to you, but because you are using JFK as your gateway, it will almost certainly rebook you.

Larger issue is whether there is availability on the later flight. All it takes is for a cancellation earlier in the day, lousy weather and so on, and there may be no availability for the rest of the day. In that case, you hang around JFK until there becomes space available.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The international to domestic minimum connection time at JFK is 1:45 IIRC. Do you even have a "legal" connection?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobertS975
The international to domestic minimum connection time at JFK is 1:45 IIRC. Do you even have a "legal" connection?
It also helps if the OP has Global Entry. @:-)
Old May 24, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
It also helps if the OP has Global Entry. @:-)
But as the OP is trying to MISS the next flight, it would be better if he was a Columbian drug lord.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This should not have been possible to purchase as a single ticket. How did the OP buy this "connection"? If an OLTA sold this as one ticket, contact them ASAP for rebooking.

If the OP purchased two tickets with this tight of an I-D connection at JFK, then IMO all bets are off regarding what will happen. DL would not be obligated to help with rebooking in any way.

Whether it's an illegal connection on one ticket or two separate tickets, OP will probably not be able to check bags through. If it's a single ticket, there could be difficulties in checking in if then ticket has not been rewritten by then.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I'm flying J today SVO-JFK-ATL-TUL.

The connection at JFK is someone tight but should be manageable - over an hour. My JFK-ATL flight is 439 at 3:30. However, there is a later flight at 5:30 (which I would rather be on anyway) which would still get me to ATL in time for the same final segment to TUL.

A. what happens if I don't get to the gate for flight 439 (assuming Delta's flights aren't delayed)? Will they automatically rebook me on the 5:30? Will I have to pay a change fee or fare difference?
B. can I call and get a same day change for free? I'm only silver medallion.
You have placed "miss" in quotes. This leaves the impression that you might be intending to purposely fail to show up for DL 439 in order engineer a situation where DL will place you on the flight you prefer. Perhaps you did not intend to leave this impression, but the context certainly leaves your motivation up to conjecture.

Considering how full flights are these days, intentionally failing to show up for DL 439, when you could otherwise make the flight, is a disservice and a discourtesy to both the airline staff and other customers.

What if there is someone waiting on standby for DL 439? The GA will be able to see your itinerary record, and will know that you are in the airport, likely having had ample time to make the flight. What is the GA to do, other than waste time wondering about this, when other more important matters need to be attended to?

What if DL 439 goes out less than full, but the flight you prefer has more standby PAX than can be accommodated, and you displace one of them? ... someone more deserving of the seat, I would submit, than you would be in such a contrived situation.

Keep in mind that the DL agent that you speak to in order to talk yourself onto the preferred flight will also have access to your record and may (should) ask probing questions about why you did not show up for DL 439.

==========================
Edited to add... just noticed that you are flying J, which means your skulduggery will almost certainly deprive someone of the UG they would otherwise have received.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; May 24, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Old May 24, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
delta.com will happily sell DL467 to DL428 for tomorrow, which is basically the same connection: 1h35 min layover in JFK. So either the 1:45 MCT is wrong or delta.com is broken.

BTW, walk-up fare is only €1800 in J! Cheaper than Y!

Oh, also for all the "flights are full!" arguments... I can buy an H fare on the 5:30 or 7:30 JFK-ATL flights today. Quite a few open seats (and also on OP's 3:31 that's boarding now). Cheaper S fares hourly out of LGA until 7pm.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
FYI, the I to D MCT in JFK is 85 minutes.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Also, the MCT does not control what DL itself is willing to sell. It only controls how others can sell the DL published fares.

And one should never assume that the MCT implies a "reasonable" connection. The cost to the airline and the cost to the pax are far different numbers. The pax should care about HIS MCT, not DL's.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Also, the MCT does not control what DL itself is willing to sell. It only controls how others can sell the DL published fares.

And one should never assume that the MCT implies a "reasonable" connection. The cost to the airline and the cost to the pax are far different numbers. The pax should care about HIS MCT, not DL's.
^^^

As someone who views the 35 minute MCT in ATL to be a farce, I heartily support your advice.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The risk, whether OP is legitimately asking about a misconnect or is trying to scam a fee-free change is that all it takes is one cancellation and every seat is gone for the rest of the day and the next.

Forget all the ethical issues, simple self-interest dictates that this stuff is plain silly unless your time has no value or you enjoy airport motels.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe

^ This is where SCT - sensible connection time - comes into play as MSPEconomist mentioned in another thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.