Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first......downgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Embarrassing is a bit over the top. It's embarrassing if the guy poached an F seat and got caught, but this is a business issue.
Not exactly the same, but once I was called up to go to first class. This is after everybody has boarded. When I get up there they tell me 1A and 1B are reserved (for crew to sleep in, I guess). So I get sent back.
Is that not embarrassing?
Old May 23, 2015, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Bicostal
I am of the opinion once an upgrade is issued, game over. The injured party is the late arriving, not misconnecting, original FC passenger and they should be offered appropriate compensation and accommodation on the next flight if they so desire. As for delaying gate upgrades, that sets the stage for late departures and we all know that's the last thing Delta wants.

Poor operational execution is not the passengers fault.
So the free upgrade takes precedence over a paying customer? This is the issue with the free upgrades. An unpopular opinion but they should be done away with DM and down. A paying customer outways a non rev, upgrade, etc. Even if the flight flies with that seat empty. The upgrade idea was smart back in the day, but now people expect them. If you get an upgrade you are at the same level as a non rev, you lose everytime, and its time for you to go when a paid person comes either 90 minutes before the flight closes or 9 minutes. An upgrade is a free gift if available. What is the point of buying first if every time you may be threatened with getting kicked out of it because a free upgrade/non rev takes your seat.

PS everyone would be pitching a fit if this was a non rev, but an upgrade apparently is different?
Old May 23, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
For full disclosure I got an upgrade on a business class lie flat transcon, got up front paid person was in my seat, didnt pitch a fit or anything, walked back to my original seat in coach, sat down, and enjoyed the flight.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM United MM, Marriott P for life
I did a FC SDC about 55 minutes prior to departure but the RA wasn't able to assign a seat. I got to the gate about 35 minutes prior to departure and they had already processed upgrades. The GA said she couldn't do anything. Luckily my seat on the next flight was still available. I complained later and was told that the RA should never have processed an SDC because it was less than an hour and should never have confirmed the SDC unless she could confirm a seat.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
when I desire F, I buy F, otherwise I am content to sit with in the cabin I paid for.
Wow, jackass much?
Old May 23, 2015, 7:44 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Maybe I'm crazy, but if they give you a seat in F, shouldn't that mean they shouldn't sell it to someone else? I understand that they want to make as much money as possible, but I'm of the opinion that if they give it to you, it's yours. And it's not the same as a non rev. You are a revenue passenger. You made them revenue on other flights. I understand that no one should ever expect an upgrade, but once it's given it's poor form to take it back.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Charter DM / Hilton Diamond
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esltroy

Thanks for not adding to the discussion. (Not)

OP check with delta. They may be able to make it ok with you.

when I desire F, I buy F, otherwise I am content to sit with in the cabin I paid for.
The people here are content to sit where they paid to sit also. They just don't like getting jerked around. "Want first buy first" is what DB Medallions say to make people feel small for bringing up any upgrade situation. We buy first when we absolutely want it.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:11 pm

Only downgrades for me have been equipment switches, and back row in FC was eliminated. Kicking myself for the 2nd one, happened this Spring and I was confirmed the night before. Could have switched up to row 2 at that time, just didn't think of it. Twice bit, ... (so much to remember during trip prep!)
Old May 23, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by nichojo
Wow, jackass much?
Wow, wow, wow. Jackass much? This takes the cake. WFBF, period!
Old May 23, 2015, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I will only offer that the first downgrade I experienced was on AA a couple of weeks ago. It was a paid F ticket, yet I didn't start a thread on it.

Not saying that the DL forum is filled with melodramatics, but...
Old May 24, 2015, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
How nice for you.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;24853929]I

It's too bad that DL FF accounts no longer show "class flown" when miles post. /QUOTE]

Once the miles have posted, click on the flight to see the details. There should be a line to click "to claim miles". It will open a window with the flights details, telling your miles have posted correctly, but it will also show you the class flown versus purchased.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Well, I've missed plenty of upgrades so I'm not upset. I flew in what I paid for, no problem for me. The GA wasn't rude, but honestly I think he made a mistake. The upgrades got processed about an hour before departure which seems unusual based on my extensive experience. Not crazy, though. I just thought they were trying to be efficient and get everyone seated. He wasn't rude, just gave me my ticket and said, "We would like you to sit here, please". Later, after I went back up to the gate he told me that HE was the one who had processed the upgrades and even remembered my name. He said I was the only million miler on the flight. The fishy part was when he told me that he had five unassigned seats in first class. Seems lie he would have been aboe to know that before processing all of the upgrades. When I went down the jet bridge, he told me that the seats that he had to take back were for the family just in front of me, man and woman, two kids, and disabled child in a wheelchair who had to be carried onto the plane. Maybe he made the command decision that this family needed some extra help to keep them together and make their journey easier. However, he could have just told me that, I can take the truth.

I think I'll write it a letter about it, but I'm not going to get stinky about it. it's done, just a two hour flight, no biggie. I missed my ATL-LAX upgrade last week while flying on a last minute full Y, now THAT's disappointing.

r
Old May 24, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by vincentharris
So the free upgrade takes precedence over a paying customer? This is the issue with the free upgrades. An unpopular opinion but they should be done away with DM and down. A paying customer outways a non rev, upgrade, etc. Even if the flight flies with that seat empty. The upgrade idea was smart back in the day, but now people expect them. If you get an upgrade you are at the same level as a non rev, you lose everytime, and its time for you to go when a paid person comes either 90 minutes before the flight closes or 9 minutes. An upgrade is a free gift if available. What is the point of buying first if every time you may be threatened with getting kicked out of it because a free upgrade/non rev takes your seat.

PS everyone would be pitching a fit if this was a non rev, but an upgrade apparently is different?
A complimentary upgrade is neither free nor a gift. It is an earned benefit defined in the frequent flier program rules.

What is remarkable is how the WFBF crowd misses this point.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by Bicostal
A complimentary upgrade is neither free nor a gift. It is an earned benefit defined in the frequent flier program rules.

What is remarkable is how the WFBF crowd misses this point.
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.