Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta elites lose complimentary access to Alaska bulkheads and exit rows

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta elites lose complimentary access to Alaska bulkheads and exit rows

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I would rather have a disaster of a relationship than none at all. I don't wish for a speedy end.
+1 It's still better then a stick in the eye.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree, but folks need to be aware of the problems.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:57 pm

It will be over the very nano-second one of the sides decides that no more $$$ can be made from the partnership...until that point comes they will deal with each other. DL or AS would code with JS if they thought there was a buck to be made (and it was legal...legalish)
Old May 19, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Originally Posted by keeton
When either DL buys AS or AA buys AS.
Never!
Right now it makes enormous sense for DL to buy AS -- they would effectively have a monopoly on many of the SEA routes. As others have pointed out though, this proposal would be subject to considerable DOJ scrutiny for this reason.

AA could buy AS as a preemptive strike, though I doubt that would happen any time soon given their ongoing merger with US Airways. I think if AA were to make a bid for AS, they would face less DOJ scrutiny because of Delta's competition in the SEA and ANC markets, but I'm still not sure how much tolerance the DOJ has for further consolidation within then industry.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Madone59
+1 It's still better then a stick in the eye.
Not much better. You can't get a better seat. The remaining prefered seats aren't any better than a regular Y seat that anyone can get. You have to pay for bags like any other non elite. I fail to see why the partnership even exists anymore.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

DL does fine in SEA without buying AS. Growing organically instead of going into debt to buy the competition usually is preferred.
Old May 19, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Not much better. You can't get a better seat. The remaining prefered seats aren't any better than a regular Y seat that anyone can get. You have to pay for bags like any other non elite. I fail to see why the partnership even exists anymore.
It is all about the network. I know the perks are disappearing, but out of LAX access to DL is a BIG plus. Also, when crediting to AS, mileage earnings on higher fares are generous.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
It is largely DL that has driven/initiated most of these changes. DL took away EconomyComfort seats from MVP Golds. DL removed the free checked bag benefits from MVP(G). AS has simply reciprocated.

On the flip side, AS and AA continue to have full reciprocal benefits - including access to the AS bulkhead / exit seats for AA top tier members, priority boarding and free checked bag - just like AS top tier elites have access to MCE seating on AA, free bags, Priority Access etc.

While the partnership is certainly strained, DL and AS continue to have several codeshares in several markets where it makes sense - e.g. I flew last week on AS metal on a DL coded / DL ticketed itinerary with a connection on AS from TUS-SEA and DL onwards from SEA. Being able to purchase a DL through fare made me choose a r/t DL ticket that I probably would not have had the codeshare/through-fare not been available.

It's a shame DL has fallen out with AS as I like flying both carriers and both have a really solid operation these days. Even with MCE seating, PriorityAccess and free bags on AA, I would still far, far prefer to fly DL when not flying on AS.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
It probably depends on who the next president is. I don't see any further consolidation unless the political situation is right.
I don't think it gets much better than it is now. The current admin rubber stamped every airline merger thrown their way; eliminating 3 airlines (CO, US, FL). AS is smaller than any of those...
Old May 20, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I would rather have a disaster of a relationship than none at all. I don't wish for a speedy end.
Same here. Much prefer AS's mileage plan to DL's and book all my DL travel to AS.

Not sure what I would do if the relationship ended for my weekly business travel. PBI is home airport now so I don't fly any AS metal. Almost all DL and a limited amount of AA.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At the moment, DL is still showing me the 7 am MSP-SEA flight operated by AS as sell as the DL 9 am flight when I search for TPAC destinations served from SEA.

Isn't the remaining value of the partnership the tiny chance of upgrades on the day of departure for DL elites riding on AS flights and AS eluted traveling on DL "domestic" flights?
Old May 20, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
deleted

Last edited by gator21; May 20, 2015 at 7:27 am Reason: read the link wrong.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ruckzac
-- they would effectively have a monopoly on many of the SEA routes. As others have pointed out though, this proposal would be subject to considerable DOJ scrutiny for this reason.
Assuming the government doesn't block a DL/AS merger on grounds that US needs AS as a standalone, I don't see how else the gov't can scrutinize a DL/AS tie up. How is a potential DL/AS (or anyone/AS) merger any more anti-competitive than WN/FL, UA/CO, AA/US, and DL/NW? Yes, it would suck especially for those in the PacNW and AK, but when you look at from a national perspective, just how harmful is it relative to the above mergers?

SEA isn't slot controlled, so as far as routes go, maybe they would have to give up a SEA-JFK slot or two.

I could see the gov't forcing any potential new DL/AS to give up a fair number of gates in SEA. Something like all of N and some of either C or D.

As long as SEA can accommodate new entrants or have the space to allow another airline to grow in SEA, what else can the gov' object to? I don't think those in D.C. even know where SEA is, let alone the west coast. If it doesn't affect their beloved DCA, they seem to care less.

That being said, I don't think DL is going to make a play for AS anytime soon.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
DL does fine in SEA without buying AS. Growing organically instead of going into debt to buy the competition usually is preferred.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I don't think it gets much better than it is now. The current admin rubber stamped every airline merger thrown their way; eliminating 3 airlines (CO, US, FL). AS is smaller than any of those...
I don't think it matters who/what is in the administration. Big business will get its way more often than not. Someone has to fund the campaigns.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
About 18 months ago I status-matched from DL to AS, mainly to be able to consolidate both DL and AA earnings in one account. What I didn't expect was the ease of upgrades on AS TCONs using Gold Guest certs and Instant Complimentary Upgrades. While AS F isn't Delta One by any means, it's consistent and I never have to worry about being 45/70 on a gate upgrade list. In 18 months I've only missed one TCON upgrade, and that was booked less than 2-weeks out. SEA being one of my main ports of call on the west coast, I can almost always make a swing through work even if my main business is elsewhere on the coast.

Since then, the deterioration of the partnership, especially earnings on lower fare-class DL flights, has pushed me to 80% or more AS/AA metal... this is a bigger deal than it may sound as someone based in ATL. So far I've only had 4 DL legs this year, 3 short hops right at/under the 500 mile min and one TCON that I booked well before the earnings cut.

If the partnership dissolved 100% tomorrow, I think I could still make it with AS/AA and only fly the occasional DL leg, letting it credit back to my SkyMiles account instead where I still earn miles from my SunTrust Debit Card (which is getting its own earnings cut later this year too).
Old May 20, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I'd like a more robust alliance between DL and AS. Full access to comfort+ and exit row seating. SkyPriority, boarding priority, free checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.