Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emirates' CEO Clark takes off the gloves against "the troika"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Interesting article with Clark vowing to continue expansion deeper into the US including more fifth freedom. Miami, Denver, Ft Lauderdale mentioned.
http://www.thenational.ae/business/a...open-skies-row

Some choice volleys...

"Expand further from European hubs into the US? Yes, we might do that,” Mr Clark said. “The kind of abuse we’ve been getting might cause us to do it. And after Milan, we can see how profitable it is. If the Danes or the Swedes were to come to us and say ‘we haven’t got enough flights to the US, would you consider it?’ Yes we might do that.”

"We might say to Richard Anderson that we’re just going to do what the US government wanted back in 1999, to go transatlantic and transpacific with fifth freedom open skies.”

“Places like Denver and Fort Lauderdale would love to have Emirates flying there, because when you come into those kinds of airports you bring half of the Middle East and Africa with you. There are multiple entities in the US who are sick and tired of the troika."
Old May 12, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Saying “The kind of abuse we’ve been getting might cause us to do it." makes it sound like he's doing it to be snooty, not because they have a solid business reason. Of course his other statements build a business case for the routing, but still, is he making decisions based on ego or actual need?
Old May 12, 2015, 3:00 pm

Seems like RA has successfully gotten under his skin.

Are you sure he doesn't post on this board? I've got a couple candidates in mind that could be him..
Old May 12, 2015, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Seems like RA has successfully gotten under his skin.

Are you sure he doesn't post on this board? I've got a couple candidates in mind that could be him..
RA? Absolutely. There are some people on this board that will defend anything Delta does, even if they publicly announced they are taking over every other US airline and raising fares to a starting price of $1000.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod
RA? Absolutely. There are some people on this board that will defend anything Delta does, even if they publicly announced they are taking over every other US airline and raising fares to a starting price of $1000.
You must not have been good at those reading comprehension tests.

Also - the people you speak of don't exist.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
You must not have been good at those reading comprehension tests.

Also - the people you speak of don't exist.
Sounds like you need an eye check. I love Delta but if you don't think there are Delta bots in this forum that defend everything they do, you need to look in the mirror.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm a big fan of Delta and of Richard Anderson, but if they raised the prices too much or really devalued DM or PM, I'd leave for greener pastures (or just stop traveling by air).

I'm taking a mental health day tomorrow, DCA-JFK-PBI-ATL-DCA. $283.00 all in, and have been UG'ed on three of the four segments. I'm going to enjoy DM as much as possible until 1/31/16. We'll see what happens after that.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ND76
I'm a big fan of Delta and of Richard Anderson, but if they raised the prices too much or really devalued DM or PM, I'd leave for greener pastures (or just stop traveling by air).

I'm taking a mental health day tomorrow, DCA-JFK-PBI-ATL-DCA. $283.00 all in, and have been UG'ed on three of the four segments. I'm going to enjoy DM as much as possible until 1/31/16. We'll see what happens after that.
That is a the right attitude to have. They already raised my prices too much (exMSP on Concur = $$$) so I'm over at UA. Gasp, it's actually not bad at all.

Love the mental health day, I enjoy those myself by just flying around with nothing to do. Very enjoyable way to spend the day.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Hmm, are RA & TC:
a) actually poking each other because they can to defend their turf
b) making noise as part of doing something else, e.g. AC financing, Gov. subsidies, etc...
c) creating entertainment for the rest of the industry and followers
d) prelude to something else that gets two of them together perhaps at a future AirBi customer event for a sit down
e) using the press/media for PR as well as neogotiating tool?
f) all of the above

Now if TC shows up in the background as an extra during one of DL's future saftey video's then you will know him and RA are up to something

Fwiw I'll go with #f above...
Old May 13, 2015, 9:12 am

DL, et al.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Interesting article with Clark vowing to continue expansion deeper into the US including more fifth freedom. Miami, Denver, Ft Lauderdale mentioned.
http://www.thenational.ae/business/a...open-skies-row

Some choice volleys...

"Expand further from European hubs into the US? Yes, we might do that,” Mr Clark said. “The kind of abuse we’ve been getting might cause us to do it. And after Milan, we can see how profitable it is. If the Danes or the Swedes were to come to us and say ‘we haven’t got enough flights to the US, would you consider it?’ Yes we might do that.”

"We might say to Richard Anderson that we’re just going to do what the US government wanted back in 1999, to go transatlantic and transpacific with fifth freedom open skies.”

“Places like Denver and Fort Lauderdale would love to have Emirates flying there, because when you come into those kinds of airports you bring half of the Middle East and Africa with you. There are multiple entities in the US who are sick and tired of the troika."
I am a DL guy. It is the only airline--or partners--that I fly. With that said, the anti-Gulfies need to be more American (as a country) thinking. So, if one does not like what the three big Gulfies are doing, get some new aircraft, get some better food, get better wine in E, get more efficient and younger in-cabin staff. Be American and do better.

Just look at another example: DL and KE in Asia. A few months ago I did both DL and KE to and from Asia on 74s. The DL 74 was old and, well, needed to be refreshed. The KE 74 was squeaky clean with a spotless bathrooms. The DL staff were like the old Burger King ad--anti-Micky D--where they show someone doing a special order and things move to slow motion. When the KE 74 leveled off, the staff ran to the drink carts and immediately served us.

The legacy carriers need to do better if they want to make money against Asian airlines and the Gulfies.

"The definition of a zealot is someone who -- having lost any idea of what his purpose was -- now doubles down on his effort!"
Old May 13, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Pure Marketing piffle

Maybe someone should point out to Clark the the troika everyone is so tired of was a shesti only a few years ago....
Old May 13, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd be fine with some actual competition... maybe knock some of the arrogance out of the big US carriers, in particular DL who has shown the 'my way or the highway' attitude for a while.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
...get more efficient and younger in-cabin staff. Be American and do better.
So at what arbitrary age should airlines fire cabin crew for being too old to ensure they have acceptable numbers of younger cabin staff? 29? 39?

Me? I'll take good, attentive, friendly service and an experienced crew - be they older or otherwise, over something as superficial as "young" crew. Not too mention I question the legality with US labour laws of what you advocate.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Me? I'll take good, attentive, friendly service and an experienced crew - be they older or otherwise, over something as superficial as "young" crew.
All well and good but the problem with that is that far too many AA-UA-DL FAs are jaded, disinterested, and simply going thru the motions logging hours on plum seniority-selected routes. The only solution given the state of US law and unions is to vote with your wallet. Sorry, but unless it's a great deal or a mileage run, I don't fly any US airline when my option is a ME3 or Asian airline.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by SFO777
All well and good but the problem with that is that far too many AA-UA-DL FAs are jaded, disinterested, and simply going thru the motions logging hours on plum seniority-selected routes. The only solution given the state of US law and unions is to vote with your wallet. Sorry, but unless it's a great deal or a mileage run, I don't fly any US airline when my option is a ME3 or Asian airline.
Nice to see "Buy American" and supporting your home economy is so alive and well. Nothing like a broad stroke of the brush to depict American workers so disdainfully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.