Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emirates' CEO Clark takes off the gloves against "the troika"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates' CEO Clark takes off the gloves against "the troika"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pbarnette
It is simply undeniable that Qatar receives massive government subsidies and is owned by the government of Qatar. Pretending otherwise is disingenuous.
I vote Richard.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SFO777
All well and good but the problem with that is that far too many AA-UA-DL FAs are jaded, disinterested, and simply going thru the motions logging hours on plum seniority-selected routes. The only solution given the state of US law and unions is to vote with your wallet. Sorry, but unless it's a great deal or a mileage run, I don't fly any US airline when my option is a ME3 or Asian airline.

Agree 100%. The PC-bot/labor lawyer you replied to embodies what's wrong with legacy carriers. The legal protection their crews enjoy is anti-competitive and bad for business. Plus, the top-heavy nature of their aged crews are stifling recruiting for younger, more competitive recruiting demos. Making bad decisions in life and career isn't grounds for legal protection.

Anecdotal, I know but, I've had three AA flights this year ex-DFW during which the cabin crew's resentment towards my gf was a palpable thing.

The domestic's soft product is too dependent on the crews' blood-thinner and synthroid levels at the time of flight, and it's ruined a good hard product.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Ahh, but the hallowed 15% up front are the holy grail for airlines remember

You're changing your argument's parameters. Your "DL meets expectations" isn't getting the traction you want so you're making it a socioeconomic issue with nasty class undertones?

Wrong audience for half-baked populism, too. Go rail against supermarket choice, or something.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
EK to start daily EWR-ATH non-stops on March 12th.
https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...ark-via-athens
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Wouldnt be a bad value for one to include a VX operated segment from LAX/SFO (and stopover if they so choose)
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Excellent news. Hopefully this is just the start of increased US-Europe, though, I could have done without visiting EWR I suppose. Oh well.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:23 pm

Great news. I wonder how much whining we are going to hear from DL, AA & UA.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
The schedule on the WB leg (ATH-EWR) is terrible. Too late for any connections and for folks without GE, they won't be out of the airport until nearly midnight.

This thing will bleed $$$ in the winter.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Two questions:
  1. How is this even remostely related to Delta?
  2. Why is everyone so giddy about this news?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by woodford02A
The schedule on the WB leg (ATH-EWR) is terrible. Too late for any connections and for folks without GE, they won't be out of the airport until nearly midnight.

This thing will bleed $$$ in the winter.
What connections would they have in EWR anyway? AS has 2 flights, and B6 has a handful to Florida. So I doubt connections or bleeding cash was a strong consideration for EK.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I think it relates to DL because, IIRC, they were the last airline to offer regular year-round service from NYC-ATH.

Granted, the timings are bad, but it may be good for all of the people in New Jersey looking to go "beyond" without having to go through JFK. Just a thought.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by kop84
What connections would they have in EWR anyway? AS has 2 flights, and B6 has a handful to Florida. So I doubt connections or bleeding cash was a strong consideration for EK.
Generally EK has been expanding where there is an opportunity to pick up some AS or B6 feed (ie. BOS, FLL, MCO), so this add falls out of that strategy.

I am really puzzled how they plan to fill the plane in the winter...let alone fill it profitability...oh wait.

So yes, this may hurt DL or UA, but really only for 2 or 3 months of the year.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Two questions:
  2. Why is everyone so giddy about this news?
DL's CEO has renewed calls by the US3 to the US govt to restrict the expansion of the ME3 specifically saying that expansion by the ME3 is costing American jobs.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:39 pm

Delta's prices are inordinately high, and I say this as a diamond flyer going to Africa, Asia, and Europe with frequency. I can book the same exact route through KLM or AF for 1/2-2/3 the cost of booking via Delta.

Something is amiss with Delta pricing.

Emirates offers a much better product -- the only problem is that you have to go through the UAE to get to many of their connections, which is fine for destinations in Asia, OK for east Africa, and terrible for western or southern Africa if flying from the US. Same with QA. But more competition is good. Delta pricing is off and the product is subpar if you have experience on Emirates, QA, Singapore, Cathay, etc.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by metacritic
Delta's prices are inordinately high, and I say this as a diamond flyer going to Africa, Asia, and Europe with frequency. I can book the same exact route through KLM or AF for 1/2-2/3 the cost of booking via Delta.

Something is amiss with Delta pricing.

Emirates offers a much better product -- the only problem is that you have to go through the UAE to get to many of their connections, which is fine for destinations in Asia, OK for east Africa, and terrible for western or southern Africa if flying from the US. Same with QA. But more competition is good. Delta pricing is off and the product is subpar if you have experience on Emirates, QA, Singapore, Cathay, etc.
If you're a Diamond, then I'd say that, in Delta's eyes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Delta's pricing

Now, if you were a potential SkyMiles elite member who was actively avoiding flying Delta solely because of Delta pricing, then there might be something wrong with Delta's pricing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.