Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New York to Toronto...WestJet or Delta, A Comparison

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select

As I have started to take this route frequently I have been playing with the best solution and would love to hear others comments. I live on the west side of Manhattan and having tried both routes and I am just not sold on one versus the other...here are my pros and cons of each.

WestJet:
PROS - LGA is easier to get to; more flights per day; bigger plans (737s)

CONS: it is pretty much taking the bus; no pre-check (and the gate agents told me not to hold my breath); you pay up for better seats; no medallion status recognition; no online check in via delta, only via westjet

Delta:
PROS: Pre-check; online check in; medallion recognition, upgrades (on a CRJ-700, but still) priority boarding; very quick taxi out in the mornings at least

CONS: CRJ-700s; Term 4 is huge and makes for a long trek to the gate; JFK is definitely a bigger hassle to get to; fewer flights and smaller planes means IRROPS could get ugly
Old May 5, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
I usually fly WestJet to YYZ... the no Medallion recognition is very rough during IRROPs. WestJet CSRs are great but basically they can't do much if you're on DL stock, and transferring it to WestJet stock is a pain (WS agent calls DL, wait 30+ min, hope).

WestJet also frequently cancels undersold flights (esp. the 6am one out of LGA). I always try for the 6am, and more often than not it gets canceled.

The good news is WestJet doesn't have a same day issue if you decide to take an earlier flight as long as there's room available. Get there early enough for the 4:14 when you're ticketed on the 5:30? Gate agent will put you on an early flight home.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
A bit OT (no miles) but have you tried Porter from EWR? Easily the best airline in North America.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
A couple of the WS cons I don't necessarily agree with; I don't care a ton about a better seat on a <400 mile flight and I'm not sure why it matters if you can check in with DL or not. But I do agree about the IROPS handling being better if you're on a DL ticket flying DL vs. being on a DL ticket flying WS, and being NYC, IROPS happens a fair amount.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by tfly212
As I have started to take this route frequently I have been playing with the best solution and would love to hear others comments. I live on the west side of Manhattan and having tried both routes and I am just not sold on one versus the other...here are my pros and cons of each.

WestJet:

CONS: it is pretty much taking the bus; no pre-check (and the gate agents told me not to hold my breath); you pay up for better seats; no medallion status recognition; no online check in via delta, only via westjet

Delta:
PROS: Pre-check; online check in; medallion recognition, upgrades (on a CRJ-700, but still) priority boarding; very quick taxi out in the mornings at least

CONS: CRJ-700s; Term 4 is huge and makes for a long trek to the gate; JFK is definitely a bigger hassle to get to; fewer flights and smaller planes means IRROPS could get ugly

Try AC. Basically hourly departures, plus fly the best aircraft on the route.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:17 am

given the short flight i'd simply just book based on price/time. For me at least I find it much much easier to fly out of LGA vs JFK so would book Westjet solely based on that (then again i'm in the upper east and can get to LGA in 15 minutes with no traffic).

But i'd also put in another vote for Porter if you're willing to forgo the skymiles.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
A bit OT (no miles) but have you tried Porter from EWR? Easily the best airline in North America.
Porter is a great company, but flying into YTZ is not that great compared to YYZ imo. Lots of delays and cancellation due to bad weather.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
For LGA to YYZ flights, I think Westjet also includes alcohol.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
TAM flies JFK-YYZ now.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by injera
given the short flight i'd simply just book based on price/time. For me at least I find it much much easier to fly out of LGA vs JFK so would book Westjet solely based on that (then again i'm in the upper east and can get to LGA in 15 minutes with no traffic).

But i'd also put in another vote for Porter if you're willing to forgo the skymiles.
Problem with porter is customs is at EWR. Nice to just breeze through at Pearson. I used to fly AC all the time but I just dropped down to a nobody on United so I am trying to stick to delta and their codeshares.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

WestJet:

Delta:

Where on the west side? I find JFK is almost as quick to get to as LGA, and easier. (I'm on the F line.)

The fares being the same, I'd go for Delta.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethb
Where on the west side? I find JFK is almost as quick to get to as LGA, and easier. (I'm on the F line.)

The fares being the same, I'd go for Delta.
Chelsea...these are all work trips so the costs aren't a big issue more trying to figure out the best route with all things considered. The IRROPS thing on WestJet has me a bit concerned for the long term. Flying WS one way and Delta back next week so I will keep building my sample size.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
My JFK/LGA YYZ experience:

If you are on a WS ticket, not DL ticket for LGA YYZ, you have more IRROP options with AA LGA YYZ who WS also codeshare with.

DL has 4 pairs of flights daily between JFK and YYZ. Three of the four pairings is served by the same CRJ7 flying back and forth.

If you compare Y vs Y seating, WS is better with 3-3 configuration on the 737 vs DL's 2-2 on a CRJ7.
As for me, I find with my DL status I get better service and have not sat in Y since the CRJ2 were retired from YYZ JFK runs. So seating is better for me, YMMV.

Skyclub at JFK. (None at YYZ, DL or WS)

TSA: With pre DL @JFK got WS @LGA beat. I saw the non-pre line move faster at JFK T4 than WS LGA.

Distance to gate: DL @JFK is at the tip of T4. However you can catch the Jitney shuttle at gate B18. It now runs B18 to end of T4 where the RJ are and then to T2.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Problem with porter is customs is at EWR. Nice to just breeze through at Pearson. I used to fly AC all the time but I just dropped down to a nobody on United so I am trying to stick to delta and their codeshares.
Yes, immigration at EWR can take long. Try avoid Porter into EWR. A colleague spent longer time waiting in line than the actual flight time.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

WestJet:

Delta:

Why would you try and use DL OLCI for a codeshare in the first place given you have the WS PNR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.