Wiki Posts
Search

What Choice Benefits for 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
What Choice Benefits for 2016

I started flying Delta last May after 6 year hiatus. I made DM by October and have just made DM again for 2016.

Last year I chose the $200 E certs and the GUC's.

I still have two GUC's left.

What are you guys choosing for your benefits this year? Just looking for opinions on the best way to use them.

Thank you.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I take the GUC and GM for wife.

My main MQM source is TPAC flights so using all 4 GUCs would not be a problem for me.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
I used to to GM for wife and the GUCs. For me, the GUCs can be used every year. Since GM is so devalued and since Ms. TFD almost always flies in paid F anyway, I'm just going to go with the ecerts and the GUCs for 2015 and 2016.

Please note that you should wait as long as possible to select the GUCs since they are only good for one year from date of issue. This is why I have yet to select my 2015 benefits on the website.

TFD
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
I used to to GM for wife and the GUCs. For me, the GUCs can be used every year. Since GM is so devalued and since Ms. TFD almost always flies in paid F anyway, I'm just going to go with the ecerts and the GUCs for 2015 and 2016.

Please note that you should wait as long as possible to select the GUCs since they are only good for one year from date of issue. This is why I have yet to select my 2015 benefits on the website.

TFD
I learned the waiting game the hard way. I chose my benefits right away last year.

GUC's are by far the best value.

What about miles vs e cert? Since the miles don't expire and could potentially be worth more than the $200 e cert, the miles may be the better choice.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:05 am

Currently, I opt for the Tiffany GC for the wife. One for Birthday, one for Anniversary. Never had a complaint.

GUC mean little to me.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
I did GUC and 25k miles, worth more then $200 for me

GUC is awesome for me and my bf who pay 450 for SFO-SVO RT
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
For me, everything is transatlantic, so GUC and GM for the spouse were easy decisions to make for DM benefits.
Still haven't figured out what I'll choose for My PM choice benefits.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
For me, everything is transatlantic, so GUC and GM for the spouse were easy decisions to make for DM benefits.
One thing to consider: with the Platinum AMEX IAP, you can buy 1 discounted BC ticket and get 1 for the "fees" (i.e., reasonably priced). With planning, you can get a R/T for you and you +1 for premium economy prices and not have to play "upgrade roulette".

I used this last year on an AF codeshare through AMEX travel. Since my company paid for my fare, I got my wife in BC for around $1K. And yes, discounted BC fares count - you just cannot buy through an OTA (i.e. Orbitz, etc.)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
One thing to consider: with the Platinum AMEX IAP, you can buy 1 discounted BC ticket and get 1 for the "fees" (i.e., reasonably priced). With planning, you can get a R/T for you and you +1 for premium economy prices and not have to play "upgrade roulette".

I used this last year on an AF codeshare through AMEX travel. Since my company paid for my fare, I got my wife in BC for around $1K. And yes, discounted BC fares count - you just cannot buy through an OTA (i.e. Orbitz, etc.)
That is not true. The AMEX International Airline Program requires a fully refundable fare. They give you a better deal than full J price, but it isn't even remotely close to what a discounted Z fare would be.

Last edited by FlyAO2; Apr 29, 2015 at 11:10 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I chose the same DM benefits but this year for PM I gifted SM to my daughter. She is going to be flying a little this year so free 1st bag and a small chance of an upgrade was my gift to her.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I do the GUCs and then debate with myself over the $200 DL voucher or 25,000 miles. The miles are worth more, but I earn miles faster than I can use them, so $200 off a leisure ticket can be nice. For PM choice benefits, it's $200 versus only 20,000 miles, so the $200 DL voucher looks better if I don't take the RUCs, which are much better than 20,000 miles for domestic upgrades.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
That is not true. The AMEX International Airline Program requires a non-refundable fare. They give you a better deal than full J price, but it isn't even remotely close to what a discounted Z fare would be.
Sorry, you are wrong. In my experience, it was honored for an "I" class fare (Discounted BC fare with a change penalty). Even after I clarified that I thought it had to be a fully refundable fare.

But than again, I have been an AMEX Platinum member for only 19 years, so I could be mistaken.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:11 am

Sorry, you are wrong. In my experience, it was honored for an "I" class fare (Discounted BC fare with a change penalty). Even after I clarified that I thought it had to be a fully refundable fare.

But than again, I have been an AMEX Platinum member for only 19 years, so I could be mistaken.
My post said that AMEX requires a "non-refundable fare" when I meant to say "refundable fare."

Are you saying that AMEX gave you a free companian ticket on a discounted I fare class through the IAP? No chance....19 years or not, you are mistaken

http://iap.americanexpress.com/
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
My post said that AMEX requires a "non-refundable fare" when I meant to say "refundable fare."

Are you saying that AMEX gave you a free companian ticket on a discounted I fare class through the IAP? No chance....19 years or not, you are mistaken

http://iap.americanexpress.com/
That is exactly what I am saying. And it happened. Called AMEX with the flights and price for the discounted BC fare (non-refundable) and asked whether it qualified under the IAP. The response was that as long as it was not purchased from an OTA like Expedia or Orbitz, it was legit.

Try talking to an actual person; it does pay off.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:29 pm

That is exactly what I am saying. And it happened. Called AMEX with the flights and price for the discounted BC fare (non-refundable) and asked whether it qualified under the IAP. The response was that as long as it was not purchased from an OTA like Expedia or Orbitz, it was legit.

Try talking to an actual person; it does pay off.
You got an agent who misspoke. Did you get it ticketed??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.