Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Food and Wine on Delta at Delta SkyClub for Being Delta One Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat

I'm not sure if anyone has made comments or a thread on this but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Delta is now providing Delta One passengers a card in the Delta Sky Club (JFK) for a light meal and beverage. They gave me a card to place on a table and a server noticed it and took my order. Today's selection: Chilled Shrimp with Saffron Aioli, Bulgur Salad with Beets and Walnuts, Lemon Roasted Fennel with a dessert offering of assorted macaroons (2). There is a vegetarian option of Roasted Vegetable Crostini that can replace the shrimp. A suggested wine pairing of Sauvignon Blanc, Merry Edwards 2012 California is also listed on the card. I ordered the shrimp which comes with the salad, fennel, and macaroons. It was plated in four distinct sections, tapas style. I also went with the suggested wine pairing which was pretty nice and crisp for a nice spring day out on the Sky Deck.

I'm not sure if I could have substituted the wine with a spirit from the Luxury Bar since I didn't bother to ask. The meal and wine were complimentary.

I have to say, this was a surprise and a really nice touch. ^

EDIT: Just found out that they started this new meal service this week. Talked to a SkyClub waiter who said he noticed me walk out to the Sky Deck with the card and they made a note to come find me after I was situated. All in all, a fantastic job by the wait staff in the SC. Wanted to give a shout out for their amazing service.

Last edited by Pathfinder813; Apr 22, 2015 at 12:34 pm Reason: Service start date.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Who gave you the card? I wasn't offered this on a JFK connection earlier this month, but maybe that's because I checked in at MSP rather than JFK. OTOH, if the T4 lounge dragons distribute the cards, this shouldn't be a problem, although those with multiple ways to access the SC must be aware that they should always show the boarding pass for the D1 segment.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Who gave you the card? I wasn't offered this on a JFK connection earlier this month, but maybe that's because I checked in at MSP rather than JFK. OTOH, if the T4 lounge dragons distribute the cards, this shouldn't be a problem, although those with multiple ways to access the SC must be aware that they should always show the boarding pass for the D1 segment.
I got the card upon checking in to the SC. I just edited my initial post because I found out they started this new service this week. They had been testing it out amongst the DL personnel beforehand but it went live this past Monday (4/20/2015).
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Neat! Hope this sticks around, and expands eventually to other SCs with significant long-haul connections.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
I was at the JFK T4 SC, about 2 weeks ago, on a D1 service to LAX, and I bought a sandwich from their menu. This service wasn't offered then (or maybe because I was on a multi-city itinerary?). The sandwich was pretty tasty, however, it is not covered under the AMEX PLATINUM $200 Airline Fee Reimbursement (I thought it was as the DL SC entry fee is covered)!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Hope this service sticks! It's a great way for the SC experience to compete with OAL premium cabin lounges, though it seems that this only works at JFK where they have a kitchen.

And, selfishly, because I have a D1 flight out of JFK coming up soon.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I wish they'd at least provide premium drink tickets for D1 passengers. I found it frustrating to have to pay for a premium beer at the ATL F Club when flying D1 (well BE at the time) to FCO.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM
Thanks for reporting, I'll check it out this Friday!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
The sandwich was pretty tasty, however, it is not covered under the AMEX PLATINUM $200 Airline Fee Reimbursement (I thought it was as the DL SC entry fee is covered)!
I suspect that charges for Sky Club food and drink are processed by Delta's catering vendor (Sodexo or OTG Management) rather than the airline itself, which would explain AmEx's failure to reimburse.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
So this is only JFK? No love for ATL or SEA when I head to HKG next week?

I remember when we had dedicated BE lounges and food in ATL, but no more!

Last edited by Xeno; Apr 22, 2015 at 5:20 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
So this is only JFK? No love for ATL or SEA when I head to HKG next week?
The Sky Club at JFK T4 is the only one in the system with a café.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Xeno
I remembered when we had dedicated BE lounges and food in ATL, but no more!
Me too!

I'm not sure I really want more before a D1 long-haul though. They already overfeed you on board.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Me too!

I'm not sure I really want more before a D1 long-haul though. They already overfeed you on board.
Totally agreed, but coming off a breakfast flight from SFO it should hit the spot right around 6 pm.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I suppose the idea is to eat in the Sky Club beforehand so that one can skip dinner onboard and go to sleep right after take-off on brief transatlantic flights.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:49 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MS02113
I suppose the idea is to eat in the Sky Club beforehand so that one can skip dinner onboard and go to sleep right after take-off on brief transatlantic flights.
This is an option I wish was more commonly available. I got to do something similar on AF YUL-CDG in F back in 2003; they served dinner in the lounge at YUL, then I could get ready to sleep right after takeoff.

(This was part of the ludicrous routing BOS-YUL-CDG-MAN, MAN-CDG-JFK/LGA-BOS. Award ticket availability is fun.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.