Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta PM vs a Southwest Kettle: Comparing products

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

I've been flying Southwest Airlines a lot more lately. Some of it has to do with schedule, some of it has to do with price and some of it has to do with my lack of enthusiasm for Delta's new 2015 Skymiles program. I'm writing this as I wait for a flight DEN-SLC on Southwest, one that in the past would have for sure been booked on Delta. I think in many ways DL's medallion program is kind of sad in that it can be directly compared to being a Kettle or Nobody in Southwest's program (although I'm on track to make A-List this year). Here are my list of ways that Delta falls short of Southwest.

1. Change fees. I've been able to take advantage of changing flights without penalty several times and now if I know there might be a change of plans, I'm booking Southwest for the flexibility.

2. Fleet of 737s. There is absolutely no chance of having to sit next to an overweight person on a CRJ. Maybe I'll have to sit next to a Customer of Size on Southwest, but it won't be on a tin can CRJ.

3. Wifi AND Satellite TV on almost every plane, and the system works! Have you tried Delta Studio? Every time the movie stops, rebuffers, or just quits. I have a new ipad and watch with the gogo app, but the system is slow to respond and spotty.

4. Schedules that meet my need. While you could say DL has a comprehensive schedule that is made available by a mix of CRJs and Mainline aircraft, on the routes I fly Southwest has very similar frequencies, again on all 737s. And they have many of the new 737-800s which are a very nice ride.

5. Flight attendants that care about every customer. There's no question that DL flight attendants are fantastic up front. But for a PM based in SLC, you don't get to ride up front unless you pay, so as for coach service, WN stands out above Delta. My last 5hr flight on Delta the FA's didn't start drink service for over an hour, then retired to the galley until it was time to land. No second drink service, no passing through the cabin with water. I'd say on my longer flights (over 1500 miles), it's 50/50 chance whether you'll see them again.

6. Southwest has a "Let's hustle, get it done" attitude. Hard to explain what I mean by this, but let's just say I've seen Southwest turn a 737 in less than 30 min when the plane was running late. I've never seen Delta do that. Everyone seems to work together to get the plane out quickly.

7. Southwest doesn't have crappy Airbus A320s and A319s on almost every flight out of SLC. Those planes are so tired it's ridiculous. Good thing they are being "remodeled" soon.

To be fair, there are a few things that DL has over Southwest, things I appreciate greatly.

1. More non-stop flights out of SLC (although they're usually at a significant premium)

2. A "chance" of being upgraded. While my upgrade percentage on delta is less that 15% this year, there's still a better chance than on WN (which is zero). And the upgrades weren't great. Flights from ONT at 6am, Wednesday flight from MSP to DSM, etc...

3. The Sky Club. I can still use this when flying Southwest, but it's because of Delta that I was able to buy this perk at a discount.

4. Same day confirmed. Even though it's very rare to be able to do a SDC with all the changes, the free Same Day Standby is a great option for when you finish your day early and get to the airport. I've been able to take advantage of this a few times already this year. I don't think Southwest has anything like this unless you buy a business select fare.

5. The new comfort+. While Southwest will send free drink coupons from time to time, at least you know now that if you're in Comfort+ you'll get one free drink (if the FAs know the rules).

My loyalty to Delta has been slipping, but I'm still loyal. I'll check Delta's flight options first before checking others, but I used to not really check others. I would cringe to think I had to fly on Southwest. The point is, I don't cringe anymore. They really have become a viable option for me now that my predominate Delta experience is a coach seat towards the front on some old Airbus or CRJ.

True, most of my flights have been earning more miles under the new program (buying more expensive fares on short hops) but also, while Delta promised lower redemption values, I've seen quite the opposite when checking for award tickets. Actually much higher mileage requirements and certainly less consistent than what you could "buy" in the past.

I think it will become more likely I'll be flying WN in the future as FCM continues on Delta, and more F seats are pulled from 757s and more coach seats are crowded in. Time will tell if Delta's changes to their program really are making them money long term, or if the short term gains lead to long term trouble as many of us become less loyal to their produt.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
How has your experience been with delay and IRROPS if applicable?

Are you ok with earning points that can only be used for domestic and North American coach travel?

Do you think once C+ is rolled out that this will change your metrics, i.e. Y- on WN is probably better than Y- on DL, especially since it's all mainline and not outsourced RJs, but isn't the more fair comparison as a PM C+ on DL to Y on WN?

Agree about the change fees though, it's a big help if you're the one paying. Although I'm sure you've run into issues with the downside of the policy, no same-day changes without going almost full-fare.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
"SDC" can be accomplished on WN by buying a second ticket for a day you think you might leave early, and then simply canceling the flight you don't take and getting credit.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE

For the first time in over 5 years I just made a decision to fly SW on the return for an upcoming trip. It's 2 weeks out and I could connect on delta or fly direct on SW. When confronted with this decision dozens of times in the past I've gone with DL for status, points, upgrades, etc. Crazy, I know - I even connected to DFW weekly for almost a year instead of flying AA direct. But I used to think it was worth it.

But here I am seeing my last few flights on DL all booked within 1-2 weeks of travel (sometimes less) and upgrades on those flights dipping to the 30-40% range even on Q+ fares. Not only that but when booking that close in, the only seats in coach are middle seats way in the back.

So instead of going out of my way to fly delta in the foolish pursuit of upgrade perks, I'm actually going to give in to convenience. And the flight was $200 MORE (including the $28 for bus select) on SW. But based on recent history I will likely end up with a better seat for 4 hours than if I had stuck with DL. And I'll get home 3 hours earlier.

I don't know if this will become a habit, but I'm definitely looking at things differently than I did last year.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
How has your experience been with delay and IRROPS if applicable?

Are you ok with earning points that can only be used for domestic and North American coach travel?

Do you think once C+ is rolled out that this will change your metrics, i.e. Y- on WN is probably better than Y- on DL, especially since it's all mainline and not outsourced RJs, but isn't the more fair comparison as a PM C+ on DL to Y on WN?

Agree about the change fees though, it's a big help if you're the one paying. Although I'm sure you've run into issues with the downside of the policy, no same-day changes without going almost full-fare.
You bring up some good points. I would say anecdotally that Delta has a better on time performance based on my flights, and I believe industry numbers would support it. I have yet to fly Delta now that C+ is in full force, because I've flown WN this week, but I am open to see if it's any better. My gut feel is that unless you ask, you're only getting one drink in comfort plus, while my flight home today ended up being an "open bar" on Southwest because somebody bought the flight attendants frozen yogurt and they were feeling festive. Something that seems quite regular on their airline. Intact, I would say of the flights I've asked for a drink, only 25% of the time they actually ask you to pay.

As far as IRROPS, Delta has to take the cake here. I've never had an issue with WN, but the fact they won't put you on another airline is a minus to me. As far as the point issue, I haven't seen a Delta award to anything international that isn't ridiculous from a mileage redemption standpoint at a time you'd want to go.

Don't get me wrong, I've been able to use a lot of my Delta points, but certainly not at the "lowest" redemption levels. I'd say it's a wash. Five years ago I'd feel completely opposite. I received great value for my Skymiles, and even had trips to Europe in Business Elite for around 90-100k miles. Now finding a "low tier" award to Europe on Delta in any month other than January on any convenient routing just doesn't exist.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
6. Southwest has a "Let's hustle, get it done" attitude. Hard to explain what I mean by this, but let's just say I've seen Southwest turn a 737 in less than 30 min when the plane was running late. I've never seen Delta do that. Everyone seems to work together to get the plane out quickly.
Just a couple weeks ago, while waiting to disembark (seated in the rear of the plane), I saw the CAPTAIN of the WN flight cleaning up the seats and tidying up. This was the captain, not some cleaning crew or flight attendant. The guy in the row in front of me was so amazed he actually took out his phone and took a video of it.

By far WN has the most upbeat, can do attitude from a majority of their employees; far more than any of the legacies.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Based in ATL, the on time performance on SWA has been fine for me these last few months. This DM is definitely taking advantage if their 3-round-trips-by-May offer to qualify for a companion pass. One finished and two to go.

In ATL, SWA prices well below DL for last minute flying. They never raise the full coach and Business Select fares as the flight fills out. Delta lets the one way fares go up to $800 or even $1000 for last minute east coast travel. This week I am seeing Delta finally lower last minute fares to SWA levels to Florida locations and they seem to have established a $312 A fare to compete with Business Select at $274 to some SWA locations in Florida. But Delta pulls that fare back whenever they can, SWA has left their blanket last minute fares in place for four weeks running.

I have 300,000 SkyMiles and the redemption rates now seem completely outrageous, 50,000 points OW ATL to Florida ??? I just got to 92,000 Rapid Reward points, but I then spent 18,000 on my first ever redemption -- for a relative to fly SEA-MKE RT at -14 days.

Business Select ain't much, but you get a lot of Rapid Reward points, early boarding and a free drink coupon. Agree with OP they often don't collect it; I just give mine to a connecting pax to use when they leave ATL.

If the last two weeks on this board have taught us anything, it is that we must be better shoppers. No change fees are a huge advantage for SWA. What do posters mean above saying this only counts if you are spending you own personal funds ??
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I really wish that southwest would expand to a lot more locations around the us. 90% of my travel is domestic. It would be great to have them as another option when Delta flights are crazy expensive that I can still have a little Southwest on the side as I stay "loyal" to delta as I finally make the transition to another airline next year.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

If I live in the US if have no problem flying WN but I'd probably buy early boarding so I could make sure to snag an aisle seat.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by HongKonger
If I live in the US if have no problem flying WN but I'd probably buy early boarding so I could make sure to snag an aisle seat.
That's what I always do. Last time I purchased EB I think it was $12.50. I got middle of the pack "A" slot.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Esltroy
I really wish that southwest would expand to a lot more locations around the us. 90% of my travel is domestic. It would be great to have them as another option when Delta flights are crazy expensive that I can still have a little Southwest on the side as I stay "loyal" to delta as I finally make the transition to another airline next year.
I wish it weren't true, but that's not how Southwest rolls. Many small/medium cities would love Southwest service, but I guess Southwest figures you'll drive 2,3,4 or more hours to use them.

If you call the corporate number, they'll listen politely and patiently to any request for additional service. They won't tip their hand though
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:56 am

DL

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I've been flying Southwest Airlines a lot more lately. Some of it has to do with schedule, some of it has to do with price and some of it has to do with my lack of enthusiasm for Delta's new 2015 Skymiles program. I'm writing this as I wait for a flight DEN-SLC on Southwest, one that in the past would have for sure been booked on Delta. I think in many ways DL's medallion program is kind of sad in that it can be directly compared to being a Kettle or Nobody in Southwest's program (although I'm on track to make A-List this year). Here are my list of ways that Delta falls short of Southwest.

1. Change fees. I've been able to take advantage of changing flights without penalty several times and now if I know there might be a change of plans, I'm booking Southwest for the flexibility.

2. Fleet of 737s. There is absolutely no chance of having to sit next to an overweight person on a CRJ. Maybe I'll have to sit next to a Customer of Size on Southwest, but it won't be on a tin can CRJ.

3. Wifi AND Satellite TV on almost every plane, and the system works! Have you tried Delta Studio? Every time the movie stops, rebuffers, or just quits. I have a new ipad and watch with the gogo app, but the system is slow to respond and spotty.

4. Schedules that meet my need. While you could say DL has a comprehensive schedule that is made available by a mix of CRJs and Mainline aircraft, on the routes I fly Southwest has very similar frequencies, again on all 737s. And they have many of the new 737-800s which are a very nice ride.

5. Flight attendants that care about every customer. There's no question that DL flight attendants are fantastic up front. But for a PM based in SLC, you don't get to ride up front unless you pay, so as for coach service, WN stands out above Delta. My last 5hr flight on Delta the FA's didn't start drink service for over an hour, then retired to the galley until it was time to land. No second drink service, no passing through the cabin with water. I'd say on my longer flights (over 1500 miles), it's 50/50 chance whether you'll see them again.

7. Southwest doesn't have crappy Airbus A320s and A319s on almost every flight out of SLC. Those planes are so tired it's ridiculous. Good thing they are being "remodeled" soon.

To be fair, there are a few things that DL has over Southwest, things I appreciate greatly.

1. More non-stop flights out of SLC (although they're usually at a significant premium)

2. A "chance" of being upgraded. While my upgrade percentage on delta is less that 15% this year, there's still a better chance than on WN (which is zero). And the upgrades weren't great. Flights from ONT at 6am, Wednesday flight from MSP to DSM, etc...

3. The Sky Club. I can still use this when flying Southwest, but it's because of Delta that I was able to buy this perk at a discount.

4. Same day confirmed. Even though it's very rare to be able to do a SDC with all the changes, the free Same Day Standby is a great option for when you finish your day early and get to the airport. I've been able to take advantage of this a few times already this year. I don't think Southwest has anything like this unless you buy a business select fare.

5. The new comfort+. While Southwest will send free drink coupons from time to time, at least you know now that if you're in Comfort+ you'll get one free drink (if the FAs know the rules).

My loyalty to Delta has been slipping, but I'm still loyal. I'll check Delta's flight options first before checking others, but I used to not really check others. I would cringe to think I had to fly on Southwest. The point is, I don't cringe anymore. They really have become a viable option for me now that my predominate Delta experience is a coach seat towards the front on some old Airbus or CRJ.

True, most of my flights have been earning more miles under the new program (buying more expensive fares on short hops) but also, while Delta promised lower redemption values, I've seen quite the opposite when checking for award tickets. Actually much higher mileage requirements and certainly less consistent than what you could "buy" in the past.

I think it will become more likely I'll be flying WN in the future as FCM continues on Delta, and more F seats are pulled from 757s and more coach seats are crowded in. Time will tell if Delta's changes to their program really are making them money long term, or if the short term gains lead to long term trouble as many of us become less loyal to their produt.
This is a well done post. A nice analysis. However, for me, DL and partners are my choice. I frequent AMS, CDG, SIN, LHR, and other international locations where SW does not fly. Good luck.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by azeckel
For the first time in over 5 years I just made a decision to fly SW on the return for an upcoming trip. It's 2 weeks out and I could connect on delta or fly direct on SW. When confronted with this decision dozens of times in the past I've gone with DL for status, points, upgrades, etc. Crazy, I know - I even connected to DFW weekly for almost a year instead of flying AA direct. But I used to think it was worth it.

But here I am seeing my last few flights on DL all booked within 1-2 weeks of travel (sometimes less) and upgrades on those flights dipping to the 30-40% range even on Q+ fares. Not only that but when booking that close in, the only seats in coach are middle seats way in the back.

So instead of going out of my way to fly delta in the foolish pursuit of upgrade perks, I'm actually going to give in to convenience. And the flight was $200 MORE (including the $28 for bus select) on SW. But based on recent history I will likely end up with a better seat for 4 hours than if I had stuck with DL. And I'll get home 3 hours earlier.

I don't know if this will become a habit, but I'm definitely looking at things differently than I did last year.

I agree completely with your post. I have found myself choosing convince over delta loyalty due to the lack of upgrades for the last 6 months. I hope for delta's sake that this FCM is working for them because they are losing dollars from me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.