Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

C+ Branding...Who thought that was a good idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.

Ok, just putting it out the FT community. I have flown two C+ flights so far. I actually think this is the opposite of a devaluation, but an actual enhancement of the flying experience on delta. Why, oh why would anyone think it is ok to call this style of class Comfort Plus. This is ripe for it to be called C+. Which, if you have been part of the US educational system, means slightly better than average on grading. Why would anyone brand their slightly less than first class as a C+ product? Thoughts?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Esltroy
Ok, just putting it out the FT community. I have flown two C+ flights so far. I actually think this is the opposite of a devaluation, but an actual enhancement of the flying experience on delta. Why, oh why would anyone think it is ok to call this style of class Comfort Plus. This is ripe for it to be called C+. Which, if you have been part of the US educational system, means slightly better than average on grading. Why would anyone brand their slightly less than first class as a C+ product? Thoughts?
Maybe they'll change it to C#. Delta One and Comfort Plus are both big losers in my opinion. Delta's marketing department needs some house cleaning.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We've been calling it C+ here on FT ever since it was first introduced. We also call the new Delta One (BE) D1, which doesn't sound like a good grade either.

In most places (departments/institutions), C hasn't meant average for a long time, unfortunately. It's been even longer since the gentleman's C was viewed as a good thing.

This almost reminds my of the problems with the Chevy Nova name, which apparently means that it doesn't go in Spanish.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
It is not called C+ (I think that is a new FT term). It is called Delta Comfort+.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...g_id=313x11648

I have not flown the "new" Delta Comfort+, as I ride in front of the curtain. If what DL is stating is true, Delta Comfort+ is currently a much better product than what UA and AA currently offer. Free booze and better snacks.

With this logic, those sitting in FC on DL would be an "F" grade in the "great" USA educational system. "C+" is much better than an "F".

So Business Class gets a "B"?

Kettle class gets a "Y"? (Or a "D" for effort).

Delta Comfort+ = "C+" only on FT. Sounds good to me. I'll be the old grump sitting in "F" enjoying the finest in food, beverage and service at 35,000 feet. "2B or not 2B". "1A" if I am the "smartest" on the plane.

Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Economy Comfort and Comfort+ are anything but comfortable. One is a sow's ear and the other is a sow's ear soaked in Woodford.

I had to edit this because I skipped over your last paragraph. You think Delta's F or J is the finest in food, beverage and service? Do you pay for your own flights? If so, I suggest you start flying private. I'm just a peon where I work but my company has a whole fleet of aircraft just for our executive management. We also employ (as in on the payroll, not contract employees) private pilots and FAs to cater to them. I've met some of them and from what they have told me about the experience, Delta's J product is a cattle call.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: Delta, United
If one takes the old marketing brand of "Economy Comfort" and thinks about it for a minute there is a bit of an issue. If the front is economy and "comfort" what does that say about the rest of economy? There is no comfort? (Rhetorical question as we are talking airline seats here).

So by adding the plus, it implies one is getting comfort plus more. Which is great marketing. However, those on FT are probably less inclined to take the marketing bait.

As for Delta One - sophomoric change over. The business elite was fine marketing term.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Economy Comfort was widely abbreviated as EC, just as everyone uses abbreviations like BE and WBC. Forget the Delta in the new name; DL omitted the word economy, so we have just C. Add the Plus from the name and we get C+.

OTOH, if the new product is called DC+ is there also an AC+ (or even AC)? AC/DC, right?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Economy Comfort was widely abbreviated as EC, just as everyone uses abbreviations like BE and WBC. Forget the Delta in the new name; DL omitted the word economy, so we have just C. Add the Plus from the name and we get C+.

OTOH, if the new product is called DC+ is there also an AC+ (or even AC)? AC/DC, right?
I'm not trying to be forward here at all but let me know the next time you're going to be in the SC in Minny. I like the way you think. I only mention the "forward" part because I believe you are female. I'm not.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
On DL domestic it should be:

Y- (no seat selection, true Kettle - think Spirit)
Y (regular Kettle with seat assignment)
C+ OR DC+ (Elite Coach extra legroom, free booze, better snacks, other extras)
F (pure bliss)

I guess those in F (first class) are the dumbest on the plane with this logic?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm not trying to be forward here at all but let me know the next time you're going to be in the SC in Minny. I like the way you think. I only mention the "forward" part because I believe you are female. I'm not.
Great pick up line!

That would be a "win-win" pick-up line here in LAS.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
On DL domestic it should be:

Y- (no seat selection, true Kettle - think Spirit)
Y (regular Kettle with seat assignment)
C+ OR DC+ (Elite Coach extra legroom, free booze, better snacks, other extras)
F (pure bliss)

I guess those in F (first class) are the dumbest on the plane with this logic?
I've been told that most schools don't give F grades anymore. Since FC upgrades are becoming increasingly rare, maybe F is appropriate.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
Great pick up line!

That would be a "win-win" pick-up line here in LAS.
I've worked in LAS. Never needed a pickup line. Not trying a pick up here.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This is such a tortured and feeble attempt to find something to complain about.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Ok, just putting it out the FT community. I have flown two C+ flights so far. I actually think this is the opposite of a devaluation, but an actual enhancement of the flying experience on delta....
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
OP actually starts out with a compliment, then asks a straightforward question about whether the new name for EC was a prudent selection from a marketing standpoint.

But, you ignore the compliment and hone in on the latter.

So, do posts have to be 100% full of gushing praise in order to get a pass?

Perhaps your post is a tortured and feeble attempt to find something to complain about.

... just as is this one.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes, yes it is. I wish I could say I am shocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.