Wiki Posts
Search

The Diamond Premium boarding Quandry

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Unexpected Rough Heir
That is not what is being discussed...
I don't want his bin space. And I don't want his, or his, or his, or his, or his, or his... Or even yours. Do you understand that? I want my bin space! I want mine! What gives the FAs the right to hang onto our bin space and to squeeze out a spot only when they feel like it, huh?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by davetravels
First world problem.

That said, I think the bigger problem is one that was mentioned in another thread. When the announce Delta One boarding, and everyone with a zone 1 BP lines up!
Everything discussed on FT is a first world problem.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Everything discussed on FT is a first world problem.
+1
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Don't hold back. Tell everyone how you really feel.

If this is the biggest problem in your life, I feel for you.

And I will proudly display your sticker on my brag tag, and think of you every time I look at it.
So you think people on FT should only discuss the biggest problem in their life?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by flyingweekly
I experienced something at SLC the other day that I haven't seen elsewhere.
Pre-Board
Children under 2 in car seats
FC with DIA's
Then SKY

I liked it. The GA's enforced the FC and DIA's and that allowed me to get to my EC seat and not deal with as much boarding BS.
New Policy?
Yes... That is the new policy and it is ok other than the issue with people in seats 1A-D on smaller jets who get squeezed out of overhead room. In the past, they would end up with thier bag(s) at the Maginot line between coach and FC. Now, with the recent develpoment of Diamond lice in EC, the overheads from row 1 to 14 or so are taken in a Blitzkrieg type movement in both force and coordination.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
-- In the past, they would end up with their bag(s) at the Maginot line between coach and FC.
I love that line, may I use it please? It is better than MSPeconomists "crocodile filled moat".
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
I ran into this situation last Friday going from TPA-ATL.
I looked down at her brag tag, and yes it belonged to a DM. What is it with you people anyway?
I'm going to respectfully call BS on this one, or at least greatly exagerated. No DM, PM or GM would be that ignorant.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
We escaped the snow storm in DC last night; there were no seats for purchase or for mileage redemption out of any of the three DC area airports to anywhere, but we snagged two Y award seats RIC-ATL-PBI for 30,000 SMs each. The trade off was that I ended up in 37D on an MD-90 (middle seat, two rows from the rear) (the flight to PBI was better as we sat in an exit row).

At both RIC and ATL, the GA called for FC and DM boarding at the same time. My experience was that I put my bag back at row 37, didn't inconvenience anyone behind me, and then had to wait about 15 minutes for my seatmates to arrive. I was #11 for an upgrade RIC-ATL and #7 ATL-PBI with all F seats handed out. Never did middle seats feel so good, as I am now in a place where the temperature at 10 am is 80 degrees.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nabco
Agreed...check your bags
Oscar Hotel November.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
November Foxtrot Whiskey
Why not? It's not like bags are lost all the time. The success rate of bags getting to where they are supposed to (and in good shape) is way over 95%. I just don't see why people (like Unexpected Rough Heir) is so ABSOLUTE on checking bags.

It's wonderful to NOT lug that big beast on the plane and just take my laptop bag.

Do what you want, but don't complain about overhead space. You can check for free... do it.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Please stop with this "check your bag" crap.

I do my part, I check my bag exactly 50% of the time - my way home. I won't do it on the way to work.

My trip home last week is a perfect example....during irops I was able to craft a way to get home only a few hours late rather than the 18 hours late DL rebooked me on. My bag did not of course follow me and was delivered to my house 16 hours after I arrived. No big deal.

If I was on the way to work, it would have been a big deal. I prefer to check my bag, but not at the expense of the mission.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Why not? It's not like bags are lost all the time. The success rate of bags getting to where they are supposed to (and in good shape) is way over 95%. I just don't see why people (like Unexpected Rough Heir) is so ABSOLUTE on checking bags.

It's wonderful to NOT lug that big beast on the plane and just take my laptop bag.

Do what you want, but don't complain about overhead space. You can check for free... do it.
Let me explain my situation to you and you may be able to understand why I do what I have to do.

First, I have over 20 years of being on the road on mainly Delta jets. For most of them, my average week is 4 to 6 legs domestically with stays in 2 different cities. I promise you, I do not want to lug my bag through the airport. I tried to check bags and make it work. In fact, I tried to talk myself into it several times. Bottom line is you give away travel flexability, assurance that you will have clothes for your work day, and you waste a good 30 minutes per airport. 30 minutes is 2 drinks at the hotel bar.

... and try flying to Chicago on Monday night for a Tuesday work thingy and then fly from Chicago to Lexington on Tuesday afternoon after your work thingy to another work thingy when Delta lost your bag on Monday night and is still trying to figure out how to get it to your hotel Tuesday night... in Chicago...

When one flies like I do, one learns to take whatever one can out of the dirty little hands of the fates. The fates hate you... and so does Delta.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing Biscoff underwear...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I too hate checking a bag with a passion. I even travel TATL without a checked bag (OK I have a home and a wardrobe in England as well as Dayton OH). It is just not worth the risk IMHO. And as URH -Unexpected Rough Heir - says above QUOTE "Bottom line is you give away travel flexibility, assurance that you will have clothes for your work day, and you waste a good 30 minutes per airport. 30 minutes is 2 drinks at the hotel bar. " EXACTLY.

However, I am not wearing Biscoff underwear - mine is 4 days old british underwear
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I too hate checking a bag with a passion. I even travel TATL without a checked bag (OK I have a home and a wardrobe in England as well as Dayton OH). It is just not worth the risk IMHO. And as URH -Unexpected Rough Heir - says above QUOTE "Bottom line is you give away travel flexibility, assurance that you will have clothes for your work day, and you waste a good 30 minutes per airport. 30 minutes is 2 drinks at the hotel bar. " EXACTLY.

However, I am not wearing Biscoff underwear - mine is 4 days old british underwear
4 day old drawers in the UK are still considered clean..
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Please stop with this "check your bag" crap.

I do my part, I check my bag exactly 50% of the time - my way home. I won't do it on the way to work.
4D learned this the hard way last night as we landed in Richmond (diverted from Newport News) and the pilot announced "the plane is returning to ATL. You can get off here if you want, but the bags are going back."

4D was in shorts, coming from LAX. He chose this day to check bags because he "didn't want to carry around a jacket."
I gave him directions to the nearest 24 hour WalMart at 1AM so he could make his 9AM meeting. It was 40 degrees and dropping.

God Bless him, though...he dropped me off at PHF on his way to the hotel in his hastily rented car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.