Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and Tax Break at ATL ? Is it a Subsidy ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Tax Break at ATL ? Is it a Subsidy ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
You do understand that a tax break

that applies to everyone

isn't a subsidy right?
RA brought this on himself over two things. 1) They don't want Paulding County to build a reliever airport and have decided to jump into that mix. 2) He said lawmakers should not be "chicken" about raising the states gasoline taxes for transportation.

So he wants to keep his ATL monopoly going and he thinks gas tax increases are okay so long as he doesn't have to pay them. Cry me a river.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I hope they eliminate this subsidy. Delta isn't going anywhere. End the cronyism. Worst case scenario they add a couple flights in Memphis... Nowhere else in their network has the capacity....
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fuel tax money can only be used for aviation purposes according to recent FAA rulings. It can't go into the general fund or used for other purposes. While Georgia is contesting the decision, it doesn't seem likely they will win. So the "subsidy" will actually be going to small general aviation airports in GA that contribute little in fuel taxes. Unfortunately, they pretty much dance around that fact in the article. Note the following statement in the article which pretty much admits the fact the taxes will go to other airports --

“Companies are looking for an airport that has a 5,000-foot runway or has taxiways or a radio control tower, all sorts of assets that these smaller communities can’t afford to do,” said Republican Rep. Jay Powell, a Camilla Republican who chairs the influential Ways and Means committee considering the bill. “Just like the internet has made rural Georgia accessible to companies, this also will make rural Georgia accessible to companies.”

How many companies do you really think actually need a small nearby general aviation airport as requirement or inducement. Comparing them to the internet is just plain silly.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 17, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm confused. The Mouth-of-the-South told us that only the Gulf 3 airlines get subsidies and tax breaks.
He is from Texas. The are not "from the South"... They are Texans. Thats like saying everyone from Denver are a bunch of hipster dope smokers. Wait, that was a bad example.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
For what it is worth, the criminal enterprise that runs Atlanta airport will not let Delta leave over something as simple as this...
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm confused. The Mouth-of-the-South told us that only the Gulf 3 airlines get subsidies and tax breaks.
It's all about Americans and their love affair with semantics: if it pertains to you, you call it "tax breaks". If it pertains to the competition, you call it "subsidies".
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by HongKonger
+1

Hypocrisy from DL management? Why, I never...
Saint Dicky is a world class hypocrite. When NW sequestered passengers on the tarmac in DTW for 9 hours, guess who was COO of that company?

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/story?id=118577

Fast forward a few years when the Passenger Bill of Rights (the 3-hour tarmac rule) was under consideration, Dicky used DL's in-flight magazine to rail against it.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Longtime Atlanta business journalist Maria Saporta writes that the removal of a tax exemption for jet fuel was motivated more by political revenge against Richard Anderson (and Delta) than by money:

Saporta Report: Delta Air Lines treated so badly by 2015 state legislature we all should worry
April 12, 2015

An excerpt:
Delta Air Lines is a Fortune 100 company that is the top private employer in Georgia providing jobs for 33,000 people statewide.

When it was coming out of bankruptcy in 2007, Delta had a choice keep its headquarters in Atlanta or move to Minneapolis. Richard Anderson, first a director and then CEO, and the board decided to keep the airline based in Atlanta.

Now Im wondering if hes second-guessing that decision.

No one company and no one executive was treated more disrespectfully during the 2015 legislative session than Delta and Anderson.

His crime?

He had the audacity to speak his mind about what he thought was in the best interest of Georgias economic future.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by puddinhead
So why don't I get the taxes back when I cancel a ticket - I only get a credit to be used on a future flight. Does DL keep the taxes or send them to the feds for a flight not taken?
That credit covers the taxes. You're not just issued a credit for the fare minus taxes.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
This issue is complicated by the fact that FAA recently ruled that state aviation taxes can only be used for aviation purposes. Most of this money is just going to go to small general aviation airports. Why should commercial flyers who will never step foot on these airports subsidize rich doc's and their Cessna's?
One it's a major misconception that only rich doc's and those in the 1% fly planes. Secondly ignoring that, the two major benefits are
1)It keeps traffic away from the major airport. By law ATC and airports can not treat general aviation any differently then commercial. This is done on purpose, because despite the what seems easy to discern difference between the two, the legal difference is quite different. Imagine the wait times at some of the biggest airports if they had to add even 100 flights a day, and with no schedule.
2)There is a major economic benefit to areas with airports. Companies are willing to build major factories, warehouses, etc when executives can reach the area by plane. Areas outside the reach of a regional airport fair much worse economically then those within reach of even a small regional airport.

Finally the FAA is mandated to ensure there is an over-all network of airports throughout the country to ensure that for the economic, security, government, etc well-being
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
You do understand that a tax break

that applies to everyone

isn't a subsidy right?

Now interest free loans with no repay date or just plain cash injections like the ME3 get, that is a subsidy.

Not a subsidy and I don't believe Delta has ever said they don't have tax breaks.

but hey, why not just jump in here because its Delta anyways. It flyertalk after.

If you mean the State of Georgia its not about having balls, its about not being stupid.
Be careful...discussing real, honest business on FT is dangerous. After all, there is a contingent on here that thinks sitting on mistake fares back and forth across the ocean makes them one of DL's most-valuable clients. You are dealing with a different frame of mind with the freeloading crowd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.