Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on 777 BE "Couple" Seating

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Question Question on 777 BE "Couple" Seating

I am not doing well with the search function and I believe I have seen a thread established before with my type of question:

We are flying DL 200 ATL-JNB on the 777. I recall having flown on a 777 once before that seats B&C have a large partition between the seats making it difficult to speak to one another.

If I wanted to select seats A&B, should I select the same row? I looked at the Delta seat map for our flights and it appears I would want to select 4A and 3B in order to have a better opportunity to communicate with my wife during the flight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I believe that you would want to be in the same row. Also, note that this is only true for the 777. For BE on all of the other wide bodies (747, 767, A330) you would want the two middle seats.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Just spent 17h7m on DL7- we sat in 6B/C and really liked these seats. It wasn't too hard to communicate while sitting up; if we had to talk across the aisle I think it probably would have been a little harder and certainly inconvenient to others.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No, on the 777 I find staggered rows are better if you're across the aisle. 4A/3B for instance. Same row if you are in B/C. Neither is really ideal for conversing with a travel companion though.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
With all these new fangled angled seats, etc. - I find myself less excited to fly Biz or First with my wife. We totally LOVE sitting together, sharing snacks,watching the same movie on Ipad (vs their screens), etc.

Are all these new long range planes set up as singles these days?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
With all these new fangled angled seats, etc. - I find myself less excited to fly Biz or First with my wife. We totally LOVE sitting together, sharing snacks,watching the same movie on Ipad (vs their screens), etc.

Most Business Travelers travel alone ie single.
Occasionally a business traveler will travel with a spouse or a partner.

The BE seats for long distance travel are being designed to make travel more relaxing, less stressful and more enjoyable for the business traveler.

Many companies pay for business class for travel beyond a certain duration.
In some cases the cut off is >5 hours, in many cases the flight has to be > 6 hours for the company to pay for business class travel for it's employees.

To answer your question:
Yes, all these new long range planes are being set up/ modified with the business traveler who travels alone these days.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:47 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by dd1612
Most Business Travelers travel alone ie single.
Occasionally a business traveler will travel with a spouse or a partner.
On my most recent 777 flights, ATL-NRT RT - most of BE was flying as couples. The current arrangement makes it very uncomfortable as a couple. We were in the middle, IMO the best arrangement as a couple but far from ideal. There were others who were across the aisle from each other...impossible to hold a conversation without speaking loudly. Still others in front of each other.
Personally, I do not like these seats, very uncomfortable for someone of height (6'6"). After over 70 hours of sitting in them, I've yet to find a comfortable position to get some decent sleep.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
With all these new fangled angled seats, etc. - I find myself less excited to fly Biz or First with my wife.
Agreed. Would almost prefer to sit in Y when traveling with a spouse.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL
We sit one in front of the other. We miss eating together, but we love the aisle access. I find we both also sleep more when we're separate.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
The two seats in the middle are the worst choice, you are not on the same aisle.

7A/6B would be my first choice

7A/6A would be second

6A/6B next
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:24 am
Used to be 'Mark Fetters'

It will be very hard to talk to one another in an A and B seat as the distance is will be pretty far due to the angle of the seat and the isle in the way, plus you have the roar of the might GE90 to talk over. It would be way better for talking while seated in B/C configuration
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
IME, there are no good seats for couples in J with these configurations. That said, my preference would be
  1. B/C seats: Your heads are closest together. Even though you must rotate to talk, it's very easy to hear each other. Not a big deal IMO to not be on the same aisle.
  2. Any adjacent pair of seats, as suggested by willing292. (eg: 1A+2A or 5C+6C) It's not too hard to talk to each other, and you are on the same aisle.
  3. Across the aisle. Your heads are furthest apart, meaning you have to talk loudly for your partner to hear you. If your partner can hear you, so can everyone around you.

Yes, but on the 767s a couple can sit next to each other in the B/C seats and it's as if you're actually sitting next to each other. (And of course the 757 is still 2-2, but the range isn't quite as long.)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The middle section on an A330 is good for people traveling together.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Sure, lots of "single" business travelers fly in these seats. But, there are lots of couples as well, married, "couple", or business types.

Sad.

On our last domestic flight, I actually was happy getting the 2 seats in coach on a 767. Something is very wrong here.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Perhaps you could just get radios to speak back and forth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.