Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Allegedly w/holds part from Emirates causing delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...held-300-spare

Somewhat amusing. Obviously, you only get one side of the story here, but I am a little concerned about what goes around comes around if this is true.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...held-300-spare

Somewhat amusing. Obviously, you only get one side of the story here, but I am a little concerned about what goes around comes around if this is true.
This spat is getting absurd. Wait until the ME3 tries to start fifth freedom routes US-major EU cities. That's coming IMO, and the reaction will be epic indeed.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Perhaps Emirates should have used their SkyMiles credit card from American Express? Then they could have called American Express when Delta declined the charge and asked American Express for assistance in getting the purchase of the airplane part resolved?

Or, why didn't Emirates just drive over to Boeing and buy the part there? It's not like they were in some crappy third-world pest-hole where you can't buy anything, like, say, DXB
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
"Emirates said Delta had refused a credit-card payment for the spare and ordered a local engineering provider to remove it from the 777. Code-share partner Alaska Airlines Inc. eventually came to the rescue by providing the part, leaving the flight to depart 6 hours and 24 minutes late."

Oh man, this is war....
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
This spat is getting absurd. Wait until the ME3 tries to start fifth freedom routes US-major EU cities. That's coming IMO, and the reaction will be epic indeed.
Um, that's already happened and happening with EK. Currently JFK-MXP (been run for quite awhile) and shortly EWR-ATH (year round).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It must be a common part since AFAIK AS doesn't have 777s.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It must be a common part since AFAIK AS doesn't have 777s.
It could be common to several Boeing aircraft. Or perhaps Alaska does maintenance for some of their partners like BA.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Um, that's already happened and happening with EK. Currently JFK-MXP (been run for quite awhile) and shortly EWR-ATH (year round).
Milan is a relatively large city, but Athens is more of a secondary destination.

I'm referring to the big business destinations like LHR, CDG, AMS, FRA, MUC, etc.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WWads
Milan is a relatively large city, but Athens is more of a secondary destination.

I'm referring to the big business destinations like LHR, CDG, AMS, FRA, MUC, etc.
Maybe more importantly, MXP is a business destination while ATH is mostly leisure and probably lower yield. Moreover, the Greek economic crisis seems to have reduced vacation travel further.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:48 pm

Who knows what the real story its, but if DL wouldn't give them the part, it's petty, if EK then complained to the media about DL not giving them the part, it's childish.

I don't personally think that either airline looks particularly good in this story.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Wait a minute--- Emirates couldn't find a Boeing spare part in Seattle?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
"Emirates said Delta had refused a credit-card payment for the spare and ordered a local engineering provider to remove it from the 777. Code-share partner Alaska Airlines Inc. eventually came to the rescue by providing the part, leaving the flight to depart 6 hours and 24 minutes late."

Oh man, this is war....
Maybe the local engineering provider should have asked DL before "selling" a spare part that DL owned to another carrier and proceeding to install it. It's not unreasonable for DL to have a policy not to give away their last item in stock, especially depending on how often the part is needed for repairs and how long it would take to procure a replacement.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Maybe the local engineering provider should have asked DL before "selling" a spare part that DL owned to another carrier and proceeding to install it. It's not unreasonable for DL to have a policy not to give away their last item in stock, especially depending on how often the part is needed for repairs and how long it would take to procure a replacement.
I don't disagree, but to go remove the part after it was installed is a bit much.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I don't disagree, but to go remove the part after it was installed is a bit much.
Also depending on the law (not sure on this particular case) it might have legally needed EK permission to Uninstall it. I'm not sure of how those rules would work in regards to a plane and a plane part. However in some states/countries once a necessary part is installed it's considered part of the vehicle and can't be removed unless the vehicle owner gives permission. Just like if you have a new roof installed and fail to pay, the roofer can't come and remove it.

I doubt it wasn't a DL employee who gave the part. The person who installed it though might be contract. Not sure why if DL was insisted on keeping one that EK couldn't have been allowed to pay AS for there's and give it to DL. NO reason the part needed to be removed. This was DL playing games. It's stuff like this that I think will eventually start hurting DL'S image and thus stockprice.

As for the commenter on this being Boeing's home, that doesn't mean there's spare parts lying around. It may not be a part that is built or worked on in Seattle. Instead it could come from another city or country and/or is pre-installed in the system segment before being shipped to Seattle for finally assembly.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 10, 2017 at 10:07 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:11 pm

It's almost surely not an issue in this case, but normally you're confident that your own part has been properly stored and not so certain about a part that someone else gives to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.