Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Has Applied for US-Cuba Flights. Will DL Do Same?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Looks like UA has got the jump on applying for permission to fly from EWR and IAH to Cuba.

"Jan 15 (Reuters) - United Airlines said on Thursday it planned to serve Cuba with flights from Houston and Newark, New Jersey, subject to government approvals.

"We plan to serve Cuba, subject to government approvals, and look forward to doing so from our global gateways of Newark and Houston," spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said in a statement."

Wonder when DL will announce ATL-HAV and JFK-HAV flights. I'll be the first on the plane.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:28 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Looks like government approval might take some time. The DOT published this notice today:
via regulations.gov

...we are deferring the activation of any existing unused scheduled authority to serve Cuba, as well as any new applications to serve Cuba, until further order of the Department.

Last edited by TTT; Jan 19, 2015 at 12:47 pm Reason: Correcting link - thanks YRKInsider
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Looking forward to it as flights from Air Canada and Westjet do not offer business class seats
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Media reports are saying DL is interested. They have/had charter flights into Cuba in recent years, not sure if those are still active or not.

Would love to visit there w my Mom who traveled to Cuba when my Grandfather was doing business there in the 50s...but it's likely the resorts where they stayed are still in the same time warp as the cars.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I really hope Delta does not cave to certain pressures and continues to not fly this route.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I really hope Delta does not cave to certain pressures and continues to not fly this route.
Is this just for your political views?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Delta has previously operated charters to Cuba, so they don't appear opposed to serving the country in principle.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:43 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I hope Delta caves! Plan on going in April, and would love to earn mqms and miles Let people visit a beautiful country!!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
How many trips would I have to make to bring back enough parts to reassemble a '57 Chevy Bel Air?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
How many trips would I have to make to bring back enough parts to reassemble a '57 Chevy Bel Air?
A lot and then you still would not have enough parts. While the cars are classics they are really Frankenstein vehicles and not worth the effort: http://time.com/money/3640018/cuba-classic-cars/

That said they are sure fun to see and ride in.

PS spark plugs are a nice gift.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jan 17, 2015 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:20 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
I hope Delta caves! Plan on going in April, and would love to earn mqms and miles Let people visit a beautiful country!!
Just fly AMS-HAV; you'll earn more MQMs. KLM has rather frequent service. (as does AF).
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Delta will offer flights to Hades if there is a buck to be made. I would not expect political views to be part of the calculus.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:05 am

I have occasionally had political opinions when I've read posts asking for technical advice and felt that this wasn't the "time or the place." Thus if someone asks who has the best international cell phone plan for commuting to Mexico and I think that ATT/Verizon/Sprint/TMobile has been too in bed with the NSA sharing customer data, I don't use the post as a soapbox to lecture people about the Patriot Act and its immunity provisions. If someone asks for a hotel in Vegas with XYZ criteria, I don't use it as an opportunity to rant against Shel Adelson and try to convince people to stay elsewhere. If people ask for the best flight route to Pyongyang North Korea you don't launch into a discussion about their human rights record. Same with people asking for advice about traveling with firearms.

We all have those our opinions on some of these issues, but it is a good bet that we all different opinions on a ton of issues. I can't see any good debating the pros or cons of the United States' decision to normalize diplomatic relations with Cuba in this forum.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:32 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Just fly AMS-HAV; you'll earn more MQMs. KLM has rather frequent service. (as does AF).
That would be great, but Delta's earning chart specifically excludes flights to Havana.

(4) Miles cannot be earned on flights to/from Cuba
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-airlines.html

That might change more quickly than getting a flight added to HAV, but for now still no way to earn Delta miles.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta DM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/17/bu...cuba.html?_r=0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.