Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2015 SkyMiles Medallion Status only Good for 11 Months?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Medallion Status only Good for 11 Months?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Question 2015 SkyMiles Medallion Status only Good for 11 Months?!

I try to avoid reading as much content as possible on the completely screwed up Delta website. Today though, I couldn't help but notice that, in very small, inconspicuous print, it said something about my 2015 status being March 1 through January 31? Isn't it supposed to be February 28? Or has Delta done me another favor, like when they cleverly adjusted the MQD levels for next year and conveniently neglected to let me know?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Nope, you read it correctly. Only good through January of the following year.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
I try to avoid reading as much content as possible on the completely screwed up Delta website. Today though, I couldn't help but notice that, in very small, inconspicuous print, it said something about my 2015 status being March 1 through January 31? Isn't it supposed to be February 28? Or has Delta done me another favor, like when they cleverly adjusted the MQD levels for next year and conveniently neglected to let me know?
Others probably know more about this, but as I understand the situation, 2014 Medallion status is good through February 28, '15, but 2015 status is valid only through January 31, '16, effectively reducing the membership period for those who don't renew at the same level or higher to 11 months from 12.

Another enhancement?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, those going up in status for the 2015 program year enjoy the new status from the time they qualify through January 2016, so it's a minimum of thirteen months (previously fourteen) and could be as much as twenty-five months if they qualified very early in 2014.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Others probably know more about this, but as I understand the situation, 2014 Medallion status is good through February 28, '15, but 2015 status is valid only through January 31, '16, effectively reducing the membership period for those who don't renew at the same level or higher to 11 months from 12.

Another enhancement?
Delta feels they have gotten more efficient at mailing out the Medallion packets for the new year, and thus don't need two extra months to do so. They demonstrated their enhanced efficiency last year by fouling up spectacularly and not getting many people packets until well into March.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The change was announced about a year ago and has been discussed here a number of times. DL is adjusting their status year to end on Jan 31 just as UA did a few years ago. Note that AS has no grace period (status year corresponds to calendar year).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
The way I understand things is:

Medallion status runs for the remainder of the current year that you earn it, plus all of the following year, plus January of the 2nd year. That means that theoretically you could reach DM by the middle of January of year X (4 full-J roundtrips ATL-JNB at ~32K MQM each), and continue to have that status until January 31, year X+2.

The only difference from old to new is that the status terminates on January 31 instead of February 28/29.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I would be perfectly happy if Delta eliminated the grace period altogether but understand that they may need at least a few days to make sure everything posts before dropping folks down. As someone who maintains status year after year, even if I do sometimes drop a level at times, I think this is a positive change overall (though hardly a very noteworthy one).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Why does it matter if you have 2014 or 2015 status? You get status immediately as you earn it, it lasts through the rest of that year, all of the following year, and a full month of the year after that.

It is not really possible to only have status for 11 months like you imply. You'll have at least 13 months of status and possibly more. Since there's no difference between 2014 and 2015 status when flying DL, you should just look at it in general terms status within a date on it.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by javabytes
Delta feels they have gotten more efficient at mailing out the Medallion packets for the new year, and thus don't need two extra months to do so.
My understanding is they're going to stop using snail mail altogether. Everything should be electronic in 2016. I didn't get anything from them since the beginning of 2013.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
My understanding is they're going to stop using snail mail altogether. Everything should be electronic in 2016. I didn't get anything from them since the beginning of 2013.
No more cowbells for DM? Then what's the incentive to fly DL? <iinsert smiley here>
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:01 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No more cowbells for DM? Then what's the incentive to fly DL?
Here you go ... that's the smiley you wanted, right?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I try to avoid reading as much content as possible on the completely screwed up Delta website. Today though, I couldn't help but notice that, in very small, inconspicuous print, it said something about my 2015 status being March 1 through January 31? Isn't it supposed to be February 28?
Where you been, Willis? This has been discussed a lot here.

Whatever, note that this only matters to those who are going down in elite level(s). And even at that, it’s only a month difference.

OTOH, if your status stays the same or increases, this is pretty much moot except that it may help with Feb UG’s as some drop off the list at the end of Jan instead of the end of Feb.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
I guess I will have to meditate before any AF / KL code share. They never get the status correct for on line check-in boarding passes and then insist in seeing a physical card for lounge access, priority one. Even worse when you start visiting partners in say...Kenya.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
Delta feels they have gotten more efficient at mailing out the Medallion packets for the new year, and thus don't need two extra months to do so. They demonstrated their enhanced efficiency last year by fouling up spectacularly and not getting many people packets until well into March.
^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.