Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only 4 systemwide upgrades for Diamonds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only 4 systemwide upgrades for Diamonds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Angry Only 4 systemwide upgrades for Diamonds

So I finally reached Diamond, and I had been planning to choose the 4 systemwide upgrades, twice, as my two "choice" benefits.

Learned the hard way this is not possible -- you can only choose ONE of each benefit on the list.

Everyone else on here probably already knew that but I am steaming mad about it. I didn't realize Delta's international upgrade policy was so miserly! So earning 125,000 MQMs yields you just FOUR upgrades.

On American Airlines by comparision, 100,000 MQMs get you EIGHT upgrades. Quite a difference.

Are there any other ways to get systemwide upgrades that I don't know about? (Besides the obvious choice of buying a business ticket.)

:: sigh ::
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by marcworld
So I finally reached Diamond, and I had been planning to choose the 4 systemwide upgrades, twice, as my two "choice" benefits.

Learned the hard way this is not possible -- you can only choose ONE of each benefit on the list.

Everyone else on here probably already knew that but I am steaming mad about it. I didn't realize Delta's international upgrade policy was so miserly! So earning 125,000 MQMs yields you just FOUR upgrades.

On American Airlines by comparision, 100,000 MQMs get you EIGHT upgrades. Quite a difference.

Are there any other ways to get systemwide upgrades that I don't know about? (Besides the obvious choice of buying a business ticket.)

:: sigh ::
Unfortunately it has always been that way.

However, you can get systemwide upgrade certs through SkyBonus if you are in that program.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:27 pm
mdb

Hey, it is better than it used to be ....... it used to be 10 certs, but they were only good for fares that were close, or more expensive than, BE tickets.

Last edited by mdb; Dec 17, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:02 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Agreed it is stingier than AA, but that is the way it is unfortunately. It's also annoying that you can't choose 4 GUCs as one benefit and 8 RUCs as the second.

The one upside is that while AA has some notoriously long international upgrade lists (I've heard of the DFW-HKG flight having dozens of people trying to upgrade), DL GUCs truly are a rare commodity, so your chances of an upgrade clearing when you try to use one are higher than on AA. (It's always possible that J will sell out and nobody gets upgraded, but at least you don't often see more than 2-3 people waiting on an upgrade list for an international flight.)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
But you made PM on the way to DM, so you have those benefits as well, correct??
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
But you made PM on the way to DM, so you have those benefits as well, correct??
You do, but you can't choose GUCs, only RUCs, which are far less valuable.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
you can choose the RUC's at the Plat level and the GUC's at the Diamond level, so you can choose both.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
you can choose the RUC's at the Plat level and the GUC's at the Diamond level, so you can choose both.
I think you misunderstood him. He means you can't choose GUCs at both Plat and Diamond.

Last edited by StuckOnSegments; Dec 17, 2014 at 4:10 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
I think you missed understood him. He means you can't choose GUCs at both Plat and Diamond.
Exactly. The OP was commenting on only being able to get 4 GUC/SWUs as a DM, vs. 8 at the AA EXP level.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:31 pm

Do people not do research prior to making commitments?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Not to me!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
So I finally reached Diamond, CONGRATULATIONS

I didn't realize Delta's international upgrade policy was so miserly! So earning 125,000 MQMs yields you just FOUR upgrades.

Well I think it is wonderful - I know what a TATL costs in Economy - I know what they cost in BE. You get 4 of these - wow - that is a few thousand dollars in benefit- for only spending 12500 MQD - brilliant. But hey if you prefer AA, it is a free country, change your allegiance to them.

Are there any other ways to get system-wide upgrades that I don't know about? (Besides the obvious choice of buying a business ticket.)

Look for Z fares well in advance - it can be done- I have purchased 3 in the last year.

:: sigh :: ^
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by colerc
Agreed it is stingier than AA, but that is the way it is unfortunately. It's also annoying that you can't choose 4 GUCs as one benefit and 8 RUCs as the second.

The one upside is that while AA has some notoriously long international upgrade lists (I've heard of the DFW-HKG flight having dozens of people trying to upgrade), DL GUCs truly are a rare commodity, so your chances of an upgrade clearing when you try to use one are higher than on AA. (It's always possible that J will sell out and nobody gets upgraded, but at least you don't often see more than 2-3 people waiting on an upgrade list for an international flight.)
Granted this is strictly anecdotal, but on a recent AA flight, I was upgraded sans any kind of instrument on an ORD-NRT flight.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All carriers do what is known as an OPUP. That is an upgrade for the operational necessity of the carrier. It could be because the Y cabin was at risk of oversale, there was seating problem or whatever. But, bottom line is that AA doesn hand out staus UG's as freebies any more than UA or DL. Bluntly, none of them do.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC

Very sorry you are learning this so late but this is hardly breaking news. Don’t mean to sound rude but this has been discussed here on FT ad nauseam since last year.

Yes, AA does give their EXP’s 8 certs and arguably they are more valuable to some than DL’s 4 GUC’s and 4 RUC’s. If they are more valuable to you than what DL offers, switch airlines. People do that every day. Meanwhile, enjoy your DL bennies and congrats on hitting Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.