Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only 4 systemwide upgrades for Diamonds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only 4 systemwide upgrades for Diamonds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by emrdoc
Do people not do research prior to making commitments?
So where exactly is it officially documented that you can't select the same option twice? I see no mention of it here:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...fits/index.jsp

Sure, it's been discussed on FT, but not everybody reads every thread on FT.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I tried to get extra SWUs - making the same choice twice when I needed them but the DL web would never do this. I may have tried this with the new GUCs but again if I did it did not go through.

I think the rule applies to any of the options one can select as a DM.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
So in the past you could get 10 - 4 for PM and 6 for DM. But they were only on M/B international. I usually did not use all of them but it is always good to have them at the ready should you need them.

4 is not many....but in my experience it is hard to use them both directions so instead of the 4 being equal to two trips, it is more like 4 one ways and purchase Z the other direction. Since I do 4-6 a year, I think this will be enough for me. We'll see.

To me, gifting the wife GM and having 4 GUC's is still quite a benefit. Plus another misc selection for PM. Oh, and free SC. Not too shabby IMO.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bennos
So where exactly is it officially documented that you can't select the same option twice? I see no mention of it here:

Sure, it's been discussed on FT, but not everybody reads every thread on FT.
I don't think it's explicitly written in the rules but is a bit implicit. The real evidence is that delta.dumb won't let you do it and choice benefits must be selected on line, so you can't call the DM line to have them do it for you.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I think it's pretty clear when you click on the Upgrade Certificates and it says this (highlights are mine):

•Diamond Medallion members may choose either four (4) Global Upgrades or eight (8) Regional Upgrades.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the question was about where this is stated as a rule for choice benefits. IIRC when choice benefits were first introduced, there were FAQs posted. I vaguely think the rule was in a FAQ but this is very vague. Does anyone remember?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
But you made PM on the way to DM, so you have those benefits as well, correct??
Well, I find the RUC's to be of negligible value - especially as a Diamond (and I knew I would make it to Diamond earlier in the year), and especially as transcon JFK flights are disqualified.

As a Diamond, the odds of getting upgraded on RUC-eligible flights are already quite good. The RUCs seemed like something I would get for free anyway. Maybe I will live to regret that next year, we'll see.

It would be nice if the RUC's did not expire -- that way, they might be valuable to me down the road, when I am no longer qualifying for Diamond, as I'm sure the Diamond status, for me, is probably just for the next year or two and not sustainable in the long term.

(So, at my Platinum milestone, I took the $200 instead.)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
I think it's pretty clear when you click on the Upgrade Certificates and it says this (highlights are mine):

•Diamond Medallion members may choose either four (4) Global Upgrades or eight (8) Regional Upgrades.
Ok, to be clear, the rule that is NOT stated anywhere (publicly on Delta.com) is this: When Diamonds earn 2 "choice" benefits, they cannot choose TWO of the same "choice".

I know that you could choose one benefit when becoming Platinum and another (perhaps the same) benefit upon Diamond, but that's not really what I was referring to.

The specific page that I find unclear on this rule is at
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...oice_benefits/

The only relevant text says "Remember, you may choose one gift when you qualify for Platinum Medallion status; you may select two gifts when you qualify for Diamond Medallion status.".

It does not say "two different gifts" or "you cannot choose 2 of the same gift" etc.

The only way I learned this was on the REDEMPTION page, which is only accessible after you have already qualified for the status, wherein the form is laid out in such a way as to allow only one of each selection.

Last edited by flyerUSA; Dec 18, 2014 at 3:43 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Look for Z fares well in advance - it can be done- I have purchased 3 in the last year.
What is a Z fare? I see it listed on the Delta site as a Business class fare...
http://www.delta.com/components/help...fare_class.jsp

...is it just the cheapest possible biz ticket?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
why do folks always have to whine about things? For many years Delta had nothing and now 4 SWUs are not enough? At least on Delta you can use them, compared to e.g. United. As others noted it is spelled out very clearly what you get at PM and DM; if the OP failed to read the fine print that's hardly Delta's fault.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
why do folks always have to whine about things? For many years Delta had nothing and now 4 SWUs are not enough? At least on Delta you can use them, compared to e.g. United. As others noted it is spelled out very clearly what you get at PM and DM; if the OP failed to read the fine print that's hardly Delta's fault.
didn't you mean to say, "Get off my lawn!"

Btw if you are going to be like that about it, I challenge you to click the link above and point out exactly where it is - on that page, or anywhere else on delta.com - spelled out very clearly. Because the fine point i speak of is NOT. I can read. Read post 23 carefully.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:11 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by marcworld
Well, I find the RUC's to be of negligible value - especially as a Diamond (and I knew I would make it to Diamond earlier in the year), and especially as transcon JFK flights are disqualified.

As a Diamond, the odds of getting upgraded on RUC-eligible flights are already quite good. The RUCs seemed like something I would get for free anyway. Maybe I will live to regret that next year, we'll see.

It would be nice if the RUC's did not expire -- that way, they might be valuable to me down the road, when I am no longer qualifying for Diamond, as I'm sure the Diamond status, for me, is probably just for the next year or two and not sustainable in the long term.

Two things to consider about RUCs if you hit PM again in 2015:

1. You can wait until late in your elite period to select them, and potentially then use them after your status expires, which would be useful if you don't expect to re-qualify the next year. For example if you make Plat in 2015 but don't fly at all in 2016, you would have until 1/31/2017 to select your Plat choice, and could select it on 1/30/17 and then use RUCs on flights in 2017 even though you'd no longer have any status. (You don't have to select your PM benefit before your DM benefit--you can have multiple choices outstanding.)

2. While you are correct that a DM is going to be high on the upgrade list anyway, if you travel with a lower-status companion they drag your priority down. So that is an ideal situation in which to use RUCs to give both of you higher upgrade priority.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by marcworld

I disagree about the RUC's. I use them when I want to have my family in FC for sure, rather than hoping for upgrades to clear. I only use them when I can confirm inventory at the time of booking. All in all they are very useful. Just my two cents. And dont forget that you can use your GUC's for the domestic portions of your flights also.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Again it is pretty clear on the choice benefits page (I'm not logged in or choosing benefits...)

Just to add, I know the website is inconsistent and not clear, but it is there, not sure there needs to be a "rule"?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:02 pm

Do you mean the words "8 Regional or 4 Global" in the column for DM? That just seems to echo what happens when you make the selection, but it's still not stated as an explicit rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.