Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Antithetical DYKWIA - Do Gooders and Travel Saints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist

While I lurk more than post, I do read the DYKWIA posts regularly. Perhaps it is from my childhood memories of reading Highlights magazine and the exploits of Goofus and Galant - always trying to teach me how to behave in polite society... from those who do not.

On occasion, I though it might be interesting (feel good) to have a contrasting thread of do gooders and heroes who fly.

So I'll start one... A-DYKWIA (A for anti or the antithesis of the rude, clueless, and aloof DYKWIA)

One Christmas a dear friend was volunteering by leading a tour group in Chile only to receive a call that his 20 something son had been killed. Father and son were as close as any relations I've ever seen. He called me from Chile seeking my help to return on Delta... use my miles, my super secret phone number, my charm of the agents... or lots of cash. He didn't care how.

I found him a convoluted return itinerary that wound get him back in 28 hours (his choice) I could have gotten him back a little later... with only three connections and while I counseled him to take fewer flights which would arrive later than his desire time, he ended up with six or seven legs by the time weather and cancelations played in.

Calling me at each station and sharing news about a full flight or a delayed flight that would domino his other flights and could I help rerout him. On his second leg he left his phone turned on at the gate while politely asking the GA their standby policy. Also overhearing the exchange was a gate lurker, and when the story was finished the lurker said he could get home a day late, IF the GA would guarantee that his seat would go to my friend. The gate agent said sure and made it so. A couple hugs between strangers and my friend was on board.

However weather delayed this flight and he saw his next flight take off before he could catch it. Again, he was waitlisted. And again, an ease dropping lurker heard the simple story... the story of a father trying to see his son and then bury him... And how did the waitlist look? And he too offered up his seat...

This now happened twice during the busy crazy holidays... These were selfless acts of human kindness never to be forgotten.

What are your Anti DYKWIA stories?

Flame throwers please wander on to another post... plenty kindling to burn there... please and thank you.

Last edited by calrick; Feb 7, 2017 at 9:12 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:53 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
So did everything work out in the end?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Yes, he made it in tiime to be part of some important decisions and there were a few more acts of tenderness tossed in as well. He was so very thbakful for these unrelated acts of kindness -- making an unbearable journey, bearable.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Thanks for starting this thread. And what a great day. I have a great ADYKWIA story from a few years ago. Will compose off-line and post.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Former Diamond
Flew DL1555 today. Medallion who missed upgrade gave gift cards to all FAs.

Very nice touch.

I gave bags of ghirardelli chocolate to FAs when flying on t-day last year but didnt have time to pick anything up this year.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:40 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Same thing happened to me when my father passed away except delta re booked my business class( award ticket)flight for free for the very next day . It took 3 calls until someone was willing to do that.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Same thing happened to me when my father passed away except delta re booked my business class( award ticket)flight for free for the very next day . It took 3 calls until someone was willing to do that.
Condolences to you and thankful that someone (Call #3) reached back with a helping hand.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:29 pm

Not a big story and not Delta, (sorry)( my airline of choice is delta) got a call at work that I needed to get to Tucson because of my dad. I left work at 12:30 and was checking in with United for the 3:30 flight out of Appleton , WI. Amazed I made that flight. Went thru Chicago, grabbed a bite and didn't realize my flight was almost completely boarded. Any case my seat turned out to be a preferred seat. The flight attendant found a home for my carry on. The gentleman next to me said the guy who had my seat had been upgraded surprisingly. He also said the agent at ATW must have upgraded me ( I had no clue) but the gentleman then gave me a couple of drink tickets. Like I said nothing huge but just kind things for a stressful trip. My dad turned out all right, except I chuckle when he said to me, I have a daughter from Green Bay.... Dad that's me.......

Babs
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:48 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
This was a number of years ago when the weekend Escape Plan was in effect. These fares had NO CHANGES available to itineraries.
I headed to Chicago to visit my brother.
On the second day, I started feeling really bad and went to ORD to get home any way I could. The gate was crazy with tons of folks trying to get home. I went to the GA and simply asked if there was anything he could do. Towards the end of the boarding process, he called me over and gave me a seat.
Upon landing in ATL, I needed to stop 3 times on my way to the train with sever abdominal pain. Finally made it to Park and Fly bus - the bus was Full but the driver stopped and made room for me.
Made it to my car and half way home, decided to head north, to the hospital.
At the hospital ER, the girl told me go and take a seat, a few minutes later, someone grabbed me and brought me back to a room. An hour later, I was in surgery with a ruptured colon. I spent the next 2 weeks in the hospital.
Looking back, I hope that everything I had done done in the past was coming around full circle to enable me to be back near my family during this problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.