Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's stance on immigration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:24 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
RA spoke this morning on CBS to further clarify the carrier's press release regarding immigration.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/12966...mmigrants.html
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by TTT
RA spoke this morning on CBS to further clarify the carrier's press release regarding immigration.
Whoa, the political stuff drowns out the REAL news here, that "Delta will introduce a basic economy fare, with no frills, in 2015". What does this mean, E fares being expanded everywhere?

And this is justified by low fuel prices?!? Oh jet fuel went down in price, let's take away all their perks!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:26 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Whoa, the political stuff drowns out the REAL news here, that "Delta will introduce a basic economy fare, with no frills, in 2015". What does this mean, E fares being expanded everywhere?

And this is justified by low fuel prices?!? Oh jet fuel went down in price, let's take away all their perks!
Somehow I thought that had already been announced. But you are right, the real news is obscured by the politics of the situation.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Perhaps they are working on a new marketing campaign. "Next time you cross the border, try one of our spacious new CRJ-900's to LAX"
Pretty sure we have rules in the US about cruel and unusual punishment.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
While supporting things such as charities, habitat for humanity, illnesses, is great, that is not the same thing as supporting LGBT issues/immigration/etc...

The former items are truly helping less fortunate people and are not really subject to anyone objecting. The latter type issues are really more policy stands that have over the years been masked as "righteous social causes" to gain better traction and these things DO rub some people the wrong way.
You can have an informed conversation about about the best policy approach to immigration in this country. You can have an informed conversation about the best policy approach to poverty in this country.*

But you can't have an informed conversation about whether or not all people have equal rights. They just do. If it rubs you the wrong way, there is something wrong with you. It's not different if you said women in the workforce rubbed you the wrong way. Or inter-racial marriage rubbed you the wrong way. There is no informed argument for those positions. Only hate.

David

* - You are going to end up being racist when you do, but at least it is theoretically possible.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by jackplum
Delta has a long tradition of supporting social issues. Their charitable contributions, support for LGBT issues, Habitat for Humanity are just a few examples of not just paying lip service but the corporation joining with the employees to actually do something.
Absolutely! If I'm not mistaken, they are voted as the most LGBT friendly airline and I admire the work they have done with Habitat for Humanity . Excellent points jackplum!

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Pretty sure we have rules in the US about cruel and unusual punishment.
Haha true pbiflyer! God forbid I have to use a CRJ that far, heck, I don't even want to see it on my JFK/LGA-MCO/PBI/FLL flights, which is pretty rare thankfully. Usually, the aircraft on these routes are anything from 717-200s (haven't been on but seem nice) to 757-200s (at least to MCO and occasionally, FLL and one of my favorites in the DL fleet).

Originally Posted by kop84
Just a thought from a former Political Science major, Perhaps DL is trying to make some inroads into the Latin community as they are bulking up service to Mexico and Central/South America, and really are behind the 8ball when competing with LAN/TAM/AA, when OW has more flights and better hubs for serving that part of the world compared to AM/AR/G3/DL.

No value judgement on the issue right or wrong I can see both sides of people wanting corporations to weigh in or not.
That is an excellent thought! I have seen DL bulk up service to Central/South America and Mexico and I hope they continue it, as especially to JFK, it would be nice to have more nonstop to Latin America. For example, there are nonstops from JFK to CUN (it's on their codeshare with AM), Rio de Janiero, and Quito.

Originally Posted by TTT
Somehow I thought that had already been announced. But you are right, the real news is obscured by the politics of the situation.
Hi TTT and mudpuppy. I have heard about the new E-basic fares. I am against them, but at least I could book a basic E-fare for $10-$20 more hopefully and get less restrictions, like being able to choose my seat in advance. At least Delta isn't going the Spirit route (God forbid) by reducing legroom and getting rid of amenities, like free drinks and snacks (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...c-economy.html).

Originally Posted by dgilman
You can have an informed conversation about about the best policy approach to immigration in this country. You can have an informed conversation about the best policy approach to poverty in this country.*

But you can't have an informed conversation about whether or not all people have equal rights. They just do. If it rubs you the wrong way, there is something wrong with you. It's not different if you said women in the workforce rubbed you the wrong way. Or inter-racial marriage rubbed you the wrong way. There is no informed argument for those positions. Only hate.

David

* - You are going to end up being racist when you do, but at least it is theoretically possible.
Sometimes, you cannot win David. I don't care what anyone does, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Originally Posted by TTT
I don't necessarily agree with tbe decisions, but as long as no one gets hurt, it is all good.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 25, 2014 at 12:05 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kop84
Just a thought from a former Political Science major, Perhaps DL is trying to make some inroads into the Latin community as they are bulking up service to Mexico and Central/South America, and really are behind the 8ball when competing with LAN/TAM/AA, when OW has more flights and better hubs for serving that part of the world compared to AM/AR/G3/DL.

No value judgement on the issue right or wrong I can see both sides of people wanting corporations to weigh in or not.
I was thinking along those same lines but more from a domestic angle. I hope this doesn't go to OMNI but if one looks at where Delta is focusing its growth (SEA, LAX, NYC, MSP, DTW) most of those metro areas are left-leaning. Immigration reform, specifically the President's recent EO, tends to follow party lines. I wonder if Delta is hoping this will increase business in those markets by supporting something that "many" in those markets may also support.

In any case, I am sure this was a very calculated response by the company. It wasn't just one exec speaking off the cuff.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WolfieG
God forbid I have to use a CRJ that far, heck, I don't even want to see it on my JFK/LGA. . . . . . .
Yes, even a CRJ from JFK to LGA would be unbearable!!! . . . .

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ight=side+town

Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
I was thinking along those same lines but more from a domestic angle. I hope this doesn't go to OMNI but if one looks at where Delta is focusing its growth (SEA, LAX, NYC, MSP, DTW) most of those metro areas are left-leaning. Immigration reform, specifically the President's recent EO, tends to follow party lines. I wonder if Delta is hoping this will increase business in those markets by supporting something that "many" in those markets may also support.

In any case, I am sure this was a very calculated response by the company. It wasn't just one exec speaking off the cuff.
I like that thought as well, another cold political thought from my old job is maybe DL puts out a short calculated statement that no one was expecting them to make to force UA/AA to make hastier less calculated responses to the same question in the hopes that one or both of them say something stupid (I don't mean agree or disagree, I mean make a comment that doesn't show a very nuanced position)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by TTT

It's in the long term interest of the airline. Just based on the remittances (the money transferred cross border) there's a huge spending power from the US to Mexico. Temporary papers means a whole slew of people would legally be able to fly between the US and Mexico.

Traditionally airlines would just let Airlines for America and the US Chamber of Congress make all the media comments. However, given the rather quick turn around on the papers and the upcoming holidays that DL might be making a play for some juicy last minute fares down south.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by dgilman
Quote:

While supporting things such as charities, habitat for humanity, illnesses, is great, that is not the same thing as supporting LGBT issues/immigration/etc...

The former items are truly helping less fortunate people and are not really subject to anyone objecting. The latter type issues are really more policy stands that have over the years been masked as "righteous social causes" to gain better traction and these things DO rub some people the wrong way.

David

Exactly!!!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold

DL and other business still support these kind of things, so I guess they feel they get better press/output from the people who support these causes than the wrath from the folks who oppose.
I suspect that those most "offended" by these statements fall into demographics that are not DL's prime target customers.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I suspect that those most "offended" by these statements fall into demographics that are not DL's prime target customers.
And we have another winner!

If a few more companies did the right thing - well - it would be a better world.

Even doing anything is better than sitting back and doing nothing.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jackplum
And we have another winner!

If a few more companies did the right thing - well - it would be a better world.

Even doing anything is better than sitting back and doing nothing.
Publicly traded companies in America usually only do the right thing when profits support it.

As I said previously, most political action is taking lobby and advocacy groups like Airlines of America or the US Chamber of Congress.

Back in the election cycle of 2010 a number of high profile companies gave money directly to right leaning Political Action Committees. The action backfired on a number of public retailers such as Target Corp and Best Buy.

I'm pretty sure DL thought very carefully about this and has concluded blow back will happen in places that really don't matter or where there's little competition.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: dl dm, *g
Originally Posted by motytrah
Publicly traded companies in America usually only do the right thing when profits support it.

As I said previously, most political action is taking lobby and advocacy groups like Airlines of America or the US Chamber of Congress.

Back in the election cycle of 2010 a number of high profile companies gave money directly to right leaning Political Action Committees. The action backfired on a number of public retailers such as Target Corp and Best Buy.

I'm pretty sure DL thought very carefully about this and has concluded blow back will happen in places that really don't matter or where there's little competition.
Yeah, Delta's whole raison d'etre is just to make money. They only care about things insofar as it impacts profits. I don't know why it's shocking that they'd be in-favor of more access to cheep labor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.