Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta goes with Airbus; A350-900 & A330NEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta goes with Airbus; A350-900 & A330NEO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Sad to see Boeing miss out- but glad to hear they have a strong demand.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Well, two off the top of my head would be Air Inter 148 and XL Airways 888.

XL Airways: A320, sensor malfunctions gave erroneous data to flight control system putting the aircraft into an uncontrollable dive.

Air Inter: A320, the autopilot made an uncommanded descent during landing.

FYI, pilots are unable to disable the flight augmentation system on Airbus aircraft unless they pull the circuit breakers.
While it is certainly true that the computer essentially always flies the plane in the Airbus design, I don't think the investigations for the above two incidents (both of which occurred in France) concluded that the basic design of the computer controlling flight commands was at fault.

1. Air Inter 148. This occurred in 1992 and the BEA (the French government agency charged with investigating aircraft incidents) concluded that the pilots misunderstood the layout of the autopilot display, leaving it in vertical speed mode instead of flight path angle mode.

While this design sounds likely to cause an erroneous input, this wasn't so much a computer malfunction as much as a confusing design that led to pilot error.

The layout of the autopilot was subsequently redesigned.

2. XL Airways Germany 888. This occurred during a routine test flight as this a/c belonged to Air New Zealand and was about to be leased by XL Airways Germany.

The primary cause for this accident, as concluded by the BEA, was malfunctioning pitot tubes (similar to what is believed to have happened to AF 447 and Aeroperu 663). The BEA's report states that incorrect maintenance procedures allowed water to remain in the pitot tubes which then froze at altitude and then resulted in improper data transmitted to the flight deck.

And yes, in this case, I think it would be fair to say that the computer was the one which crashed the plane. But the fact of the matter is that in a Boeing flight deck, it is not clear, with vastly incorrect flight data, that human pilots would have done any differently.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by BenA
Yes, very much so - for all of Boeing's labor strife and the move to Chicago of the management team, this is still a prime example of a company town. Freeways are plastered with billboards from Alaska proudly proclaiming their "all-Boeing fleet". And while employees may be in constant conflict with their management team, they also take a lot of pride in what they build, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here who doesn't have a connection to Boeing through friends or family. Nearly all the engineering and manufacturing is still here or in South Carolina, not in Chicago.
While Washington accounts for a whopping 48% of Boeing employees and there is not much in Illinois, we should remember that California and Missouri have significantly more Boeing employees than does South Carolina.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/aboutus...ent_table.page

Originally Posted by rylan
So with these big jumbos, what do you think the J cabin is going to look like? 1-2-1 seems to be wasting a lot of space. What other configs could they do to add more seats and keep direct aisle access?
While there are indeed many on FT who like J, the vast majority of the flying public consider the entire F/J cabins a waste of space - we laugh at those willing to "waste" $$ or miles simply to have a bigger seat and fancier food; what ego.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Well, two off the top of my head would be Air Inter 148 and XL Airways 888.

XL Airways: A320, sensor malfunctions gave erroneous data to flight control system putting the aircraft into an uncontrollable dive.

Air Inter: A320, the autopilot made an uncommanded descent during landing.

FYI, pilots are unable to disable the flight augmentation system on Airbus aircraft unless they pull the circuit breakers.
Interesting how you only answer 1 out of the 2 questions I asked. Let me ask the 2nd one again in case you missed it:

How many planes have crashed due to pilot error? (Hint: it's more than 2)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:30 pm
Suspended

So with these big jumbos, what do you think the J cabin is going to look like? 1-2-1 seems to be wasting a lot of space. What other configs could they do to add more seats and keep direct aisle access?
Three-aisle access? 1-2-2-1?
Or you could do mix-and-match:

1-2-1
2-2-2
1-2-1
2-2-2
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC*A
This may have already been answered but like the 777s (which are nearly 1ft wider) 1-2-1 is definitely possible. Passengers get extra length as the seats can be wider, as they extend further into the aisle (reverse herringbone), which makes for a longer seat.

Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by benmacd
Interesting how you only answer 1 out of the 2 questions I asked. Let me ask the 2nd one again in case you missed it:

Did I really need to answer that? Hell, Pan Am pilots alone killed hundreds of not thousands of passengers. Humans make mistakes, that will never change. That doesn't mean I'll be getting on a plane with no pilots. Computers are only as good as their operators and designers.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:59 pm
mdb

Originally Posted by Indelaware
While Washington accounts for a whopping 48% of Boeing employees and there is not much in Illinois, we should remember that California and Missouri have significantly more Boeing employees than does South Carolina.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/aboutus...ent_table.page

While there are indeed many on FT who like J, the vast majority of the flying public consider the entire F/J cabins a waste of space - we laugh at those willing to "waste" $$ or miles simply to have a bigger seat and fancier food; what ego.
Hahaha - sorry for you sitting in the back....
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Three-aisle access? 1-2-2-1?
Or you could do mix-and-match:

1-2-1
2-2-2
1-2-1
2-2-2
I think they will have 1-2-1.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Originally Posted by benmacd

I profoundly doubt his qualification for eligible comments. Those are only enough for smalltalks, since they're not objective at all. It based solely on opinion and is therefore misleading, especially for aerospace engineers & aviation professionals.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by N830MH
I think they will have 1-2-1.
At first I thought that due to the extra wide fuselage of the 350, that Delta might consider squeezing in an extra seat or two in J and go with 2-2-2 but now that I think about it, as mentioned above, the 777 has 1 foot over other delta wide body jets and they have a 1-2-1 config. I seriously doubt that Delta will eliminate direct aisle access. Its a significant marketing tool that has probably helped them garner all that extra corporate and travel business.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I used to think so as well, until I read more into it.

Composites have been used for many years in a/c construction just not as nearly as extensively on a commercial airliner.

But the notion of running so many of the a/c systems off lithium-ion batteries versus APU's or generators is truly innovative in a plane this size. Not only does it provide substantial savings in weight, but it has also been the source of most of the problems.

Interestingly, Airbus's approach on the A350 is somewhat more conventional.
While planes use plastic no plane (or no commercial plane) has used a composite fuselage like the 787 and A350. That is a much bigger step than Li-Ion battery.

and Also I don't believe the Li-Ion bats are replacing the roll of the IDG or APU. the bats are used to start the APU that starts the engine. Just like in your car, one the engine is running the battery is basically just there. It electrical power is coming from the generator(Alternator)
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
Originally Posted by VegasJosh View Post
well as you can see with a Dawgfan I believe buying and flying Boeing as much as possible for the same reason I prefer to buy made in USA products as much as possible, and even though the 787 is made in part out of the country and the 350 has some manufactures in the USA, Boeing is an American company and I support them. Also I am not as much of a fan of fly by wire. As one of my close friends is a 747 pilot and convinced me of the advantages of the Boeing system and I am inclined to listen to him and his 40+ years of flying. So to recap, I like supporting an American company and more importantly I believe from a functional standpoint Boeing is a safer aircraft. Just my thoughts and feelings
Of course the Boeing pilot will say that.

Ask an Airbus guy which is better....

most people (especially the senor ones) don't fly planes they don't like. (and for the record I prefer flying on Boeings, but I would much rather pull apart the cargo bins on a 320 during a c-check than a 737.) Both OEMs have pluses and minuses.

Just asking where in my post say that he has not or can't fly the A330 as well? He fly's the 74 due to his seniority and routing preference. He has flown both Boeing and airbus over the years. I guess it is hard for Airbus people to understand why people like Boeing and vice versa. I am just stating my preference and why.
I understand you like Boeing and I'm not saying you are wrong for doing so. I prefer flying in a Boeing myself.

but some of your reason why to like Boeing over Airbus have been false. That is all I am pointing out.
Originally Posted by Beckles
The answer is quite simple, the legacy airlines literally took decades to adjust their business model.

The legacy airlines are still trying to figure out how to operate profitably more than 30 years later.

There is nothing particularly innovative about using Lithium-Ion batteries, it was simply a weight saving measure, and it certainly did not save Boeing any money, even if there had not been issues, they are much more expensive than more traditional batteries (though there may be savings in operation due to the weight savings). As it turns out, it would seem they're just not safe enough to use in an airplane as opposed to a cellphone, laptop or automobile.

On the other hand, the scope of application of composites on the 787 is unprecedented, of course composites have been used to manufacture specific aircraft components in the past, but never close to the scale used in the 787. Although the use of composites did not cause any fleet groundings once the plane was in service, the 787 program was significantly delayed during development, and much of that delay was due to the use of composites.
the 787 isn't the only plane to use Li-Ion bats. Some small types also use them, but as I said Airbus will be using them in the A350 also. The first few frames will come with NiCad but will be switched to Li-Ion in 2016. All the Delta jets will come from the factory with Li-Ion
Originally Posted by davidviolin
I think #2 and especially #3 was the bigger issue. I think if Boeing bought and moved most of the subcontractors to Seattle and had them all work closely together, #2 and # issue would not happen. At least not on such big scale.
However, I am glad to see that Boeing is pretty much sending out 10 787's per month, just 3 years after launch. It is the fastest ramp up I have ever seen. Just too bad its not fast enough to make it in to DL's order books.
I hope there is some serious changes in the way Boeing management is thinking after this.
Nothing Boeing can do here. Delta wanted 787s in 2016/2017....Boeing couldn't do it. Airbus could. Thats just how it happens sometimes.

No one at Boeing is going to be pissed about the 787 being sold out......
Originally Posted by spin88
I might add:

(4) cuts to the engineering staff (and an assumption the contractors would do the engineering work for Boeing) leaving too little capacity to fix issues as they arose, and

(5) opening a plant in Charleston to stick it to the IAW, which resulted in a diversion of resources to try to set up the plant, and then fix the issues created by an undertrained work force making crappy planes.

I think that this order resulted from:

(a) The 330neo/359 being the right size, range fit for Delta's network
(b) Both allowing the use of 18" seats, which fits Delta's focus to provide better service,
(c) being common with the existing 330 fleet
(d) Delta being able to get slots fairly quickly, and
(e) Boeing not having a plane currently in the size range Delta wanted, and Delta (given Boeing's poor track track record) being concerned about buying the double stretch 787-10 or the 777-8x with no ideas if there will be delays and with the 787-10 how it will perform in service.

As a shareholder in Delta I am quite happy with their move. It will allow them to cement their place as the go to american flagged carrier in the Western US and over time in the pacific.
For the most part it came down to when can they get it. With the 744s on the way out Delta needed something in 2017. All Boeing could offer was 777s.....So Delta went A350.

and For what its worth Delta wanted the 789.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
While planes use plastic no plane (or no commercial plane) has used a composite fuselage like the 787 and A350. That is a much bigger step than Li-Ion battery.

and Also I don't believe the Li-Ion bats are replacing the roll of the IDG or APU. the bats are used to start the APU that starts the engine. Just like in your car, one the engine is running the battery is basically just there. It electrical power is coming from the generator(Alternator)
Clearly, the 787 project is the first large commercial airliner to used a preponderance of composites in the fuselage and wing, but it's a technology that goes back to the 70's.

What's innovative about the electrical system is not that APU or generator are replaced, but namely that the role of electric power is much greater, versus hydraulic or bleed-air control. Electric power controls virtually every system in the a/c, which is one of main reasons it has six generators.

This is a radical departure from previous a/c design and one that is primarily intended to save weight.

As far as the batteries, even when the 787 was being designed there were newer, safer, more reliable Li-ion batteries available, but Boeing chose to go with the GS Yuasa model.

To my knowledge Boeing has never provided a conclusive official reason for this choice, but allegations have been made that the Japanese manufacturer provided some deep incentives (let's not forget that the project was very delayed and significantly over budget).

Also, it is believed that a Japanese company was selected as the battery vendor in recognition of the fact that Japanese carriers were highly loyal to Boeing (until very recently, in fact, JAL had never ordered an Airbus product).

While Boeing could have gone with clearly safer Ni-Cad batteries, these would have been heavier and thus reduced the Boeing's operational cost advantages.

The A-350 has a much more conventional electrical system and uses a pneumatic system.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Nov 23, 2014 at 7:43 am
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I don't know about you all, but I am excited to soon be flying on a brand new wide body jet and not some refurbished, old rickety 767,777,747. I would have preferred Boeing myself but hey, at the end of the day, this is exiting times for Delta and the FF community.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I don't "laugh" at those who sit up front because they choose to buy themselves some more comfort with money or miles. I feel a little differently about those delicate orchids who claim they "must" fly J or better because economy class will damage or kill them.

Originally Posted by mdb
Hahaha - sorry for you sitting in the back....
That's not very gracious. Others have been nice to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.