Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Miles for Holiday Travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Using Delta Miles for Holiday Travel

Hi,

I'm planning to travel from Seattle to NYC for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have a bit over 63K Delta miles, and it seems like now might be a good time to use some. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm not sure if I'd be getting good value though. In terms of cost, I seem to be looking at at least $750 RT for Thanksgiving and Christmas looks just as bad. Looking at award tickets, I see only 60K mile awards. Even for Christmas, where I could be a bit more flexible (say fly out Dec 19th or 20th and fly back Jan 4th or 5th) I see mostly 60K awards. I also looked on Alaska, since I understand you can use Delta miles to redeem flights on AS and I could fly into Newark, but it's pretty much the same story. Does it make sense to use that many miles on one trip? One benefit I see is that assuming I'm willing to spend 60K miles, I can have my choice of flight time, whereas if I spend money I could be looking at $100+ of a difference if I wanted a specific flight. I guess my main question is should I go ahead and use the miles or is there something else worth holding on to them for that has a better value? I've heard that they have good value for international travel, but don't plan on traveling internationally any time soon.

Another thing to consider is that with the double miles promotion out of SEA, I'd have enough miles for medallion status with one more trip. However I still need around $1500 MQDs. Even with the insane prices of these flights I don't think I could reasonably spend that much in the two trips. I suppose I could find some way to make it (take a weekend trip somewhere?) but is it even worth it? I mostly fly SEA-JFK, and read that they don't even upgrade their medallions on that route anymore. Considering that is it worth putting in the effort to qualify?

Sorry for all the questions, hope someone can help at least a bit.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Ouch...

It's always wise to book holiday travel ASAP so you don't get stuck with prics like these.

That's a lot of miles for a domestic trip. Just comes down to your judgement of the dollar value of the miles to you.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Ouch...

It's always wise to book holiday travel ASAP so you don't get stuck with prics like these.

That's a lot of miles for a domestic trip. Just comes down to your judgement of the dollar value of the miles to you.
Ugh. Any chance there will be low level awards if I wait around? Or would I just be pushing my luck?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mf723
I'm planning to travel from Seattle to NYC for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have a bit over 63K Delta miles, and it seems like now might be a good time to use some. …
Welcome to FlyerTalk... Since this query is specific to DL, the discussion has been moved to the dedicated Delta forum for further comment.

Thanks and good luck.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:49 am
Suspended

ugh. Any chance there will be low level awards if i wait around?
0.000000000000000000000000000000001%
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see SEA-JFK for $497 from 12/23 - 1/5. Definitely better than blowing 60K miles. I'd probably jump on that as prices are likely only going to go up from here. You are probably too late to find anything decent for T'giving.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
If you have/can get the DL Amex in time, you can also consider Delta's Pay-With-Miles option (only avail to DL Amex cardholders) which allows you to convert your 60k miles into a $600 credit against your flight costs ($100 per 10k miles). FT folks have different assesments as to whether this is a good option or not, but it's really an individual decision so thought you should at least consider it.

Note, AFAIK, you cannot retroactively apply the PWM credit against a previously purchased ticket, so the downside of this approach for the holidays is that you wouldn't be able to buy your flights until after applying for and being approved by Amex, during which time your holiday flight costs may skyrocket.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:51 am
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Obviously the busier the time of the year, the more cash revenue seats they think they can sell, the less award will be available and will be valued higher. I suggest paying in cash using the cheapest airline you can for the flights available and saving your miles for TPAC BE awards which is their usual best value.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
I see SEA-JFK for $497 from 12/23 - 1/5. Definitely better than blowing 60K miles. I'd probably jump on that as prices are likely only going to go up from here. You are probably too late to find anything decent for T'giving.
Thanks for the tip! Was able to grab that. Now to figure out what to do for Thanksgiving...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bosman
If you have/can get the DL Amex in time, you can also consider Delta's Pay-With-Miles option (only avail to DL Amex cardholders) which allows you to convert your 60k miles into a $600 credit against your flight costs ($100 per 10k miles). FT folks have different assesments as to whether this is a good option or not, but it's really an individual decision so thought you should at least consider it.

Note, AFAIK, you cannot retroactively apply the PWM credit against a previously purchased ticket, so the downside of this approach for the holidays is that you wouldn't be able to buy your flights until after applying for and being approved by Amex, during which time your holiday flight costs may skyrocket.
I do have the Amex, but wouldn't that only make sense if the ticket price was < $600? Or am I missing something?
That is, if the ticket costs more than $600, it would make more sense to use the 60k miles for the full cost of the ticket rather than applying as a $600 credit and paying the difference.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:01 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I do have the Amex, but wouldn't that only make sense if the ticket price was < $600? Or am I missing something?
That is, if the ticket costs more than $600, it would make more sense to use the 60k miles for the full cost of the ticket rather than applying as a $600 credit and paying the difference.
Yes you are right, if a 800 $ flight for example was going for 60K award redemption, that is a better deal than pay with miles which would need 80K or 60K + 200$.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc

You don't have to redeem all 60k miles. For example, if you found a fare you liked, you could save, say, $200 by using 20k miles, thereby keeping 40k miles for later use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.