Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance of early status upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Any chance of early status upgrade?

I'm an FO with 16k needed for gold. I have a 20,000 mile trip booked in Nov. Anyway DL can bump me up based on this booking? Would like to have the lounge access etc if possible. Who would I contact?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Nope, not going to happen. Being a UA 1K, I'm sure you could have gotten a status challenge match out of Delta, but still you would have needed to meet the challenge requirement first before being granted the status and the benefits of that status. No soft landings of any kind.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by Ledfish
Nope, not going to happen. Being a UA 1K, I'm sure you could have gotten a status challenge match out of Delta, but still you would have needed to meet the challenge requirement first before being granted the status and the benefits of that status. No soft landings of any kind.
As far as I know there are no status matches if you already have status
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryan754
As far as I know there are no status matches if you already have status
OP wants to get GM benefits despiton being 16,000 short of the required 50,000 MQMs. In other words, OP only has about two-thirds of the required miles.

Has the OP met the MQD requirement or does he/she have a waiver?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Absolutely not. If DL gave status to people based on trips booked, thousands of people would have substantially higher status early in the year. Additionally DL will not boost you up to Gold if you are 16 MQMs short of the threshold. They don't give you the status till you have fully satisfied the requirements.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
Absolutely not. If DL gave status to people based on trips booked, thousands of people would have substantially higher status early in the year. Additionally DL will not boost you up to Gold if you are 16 MQMs short of the threshold. They don't give you the status till you have fully satisfied the requirements.

Exactly. People could just buy (if they have the money on the shelf) a couple of first class fully refundable tickets for the end of the year for a boatload of mqm's, enjoy status all year, then cancel the ticket and get a full refund.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Exactly. People could just buy (if they have the money on the shelf) a couple of first class fully refundable tickets for the end of the year for a boatload of mqm's, enjoy status all year, then cancel the ticket and get a full refund.
Delta could, if it wanted, grant status on the basis of no refunds (and while the ticket is changeable, it must be used this year). Of course, that would allow for mileage runs without flying, but I don't see how that hurts Delta too badly.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by sethb
Delta could, if it wanted, grant status on the basis of no refunds (and while the ticket is changeable, it must be used this year). Of course, that would allow for mileage runs without flying, but I don't see how that hurts Delta too badly.
It screws with their load predictions and also removes the incentive for them to sell MQMs at year end for much, much higher rates than what is considered a good MR.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP wants to get GM benefits despite being 16,000 short of the required 50,000 MQMs. In other words, OP only has about two-thirds of the required miles.
Also known as the "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" mindset, or I want it now and will (maybe) earn the status afterwards.

The OP wants all of the benefits of being GM without having to earn that status. Please let us know how that works out for you.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
BTW OP, Im only 74,100 miles short of PM for next year but I PROMISE I'll fly alot before then............... the OP is really funny. Why have cable tv for entertainment when you can have FT????
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Well...im about 200k MQM short of double DM.....can i ask for them to bump me up based on all my bookings for next year?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
OP, I'm getting the sense that the general feeling is "no."
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Well I shot them a fax. Never hurts to ask I have a mqd waiver. As for my 20k trip its booked paid for and nonrefundable. There is no incentive for DL to hook me up. Just would make my trip better. I don't expect them to make an exception by any means. I'm more than happy to earn the status. Considering 2015 though I would really like the extra rdm's
On another note I've been really impressed by DL lately in terms of onboard service and customer service. It's a real sham about the devaluations. I'm taking a few pond hops on DL this year just to hoard some miles for VS redemptions (DXB to SFO which is a great value after the hours spend finding space).

Thanks for all the replies. I'll update the thread if I hear back.

Btw years ago United granted me premex based on planned travel and from their I became a million miler plus with them
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by ryan754
Considering 2015 though I would really like the extra rdm's
I really hope you left this out of your request!

I don't think there's really any harm in asking so long as you are perfectly willing to accept an answer of "no." Never say never; several years ago, I was granted FO status for the first time at DL (after having previously had it regularly at NW) in advance of the flight where I was set to receive it.

The difference, however, is that it was granted to me proactively by someone at DL with basically unmatched customer service (many FTers can probably guess who) without my request over the course of correspondence about an unrelated issue. I think a key difference, though, is that it only fronted me FO status by one flight in a situation where I would've earned status with the first flight of a 4-segment one-way itinerary (hooray IROPS).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Last year - I politely asked to either (1) upgrade me to GM or at least (2) throw in a "priority" sticker on my bag when I had 50,427MQM* (The account showed 49,997 MQM. I had 250MQM that didn't post prior to my flight - and it posted two days after my flight.....) ahead of a TPAC flight.

They said no

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.