Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia Upgrade with Skymiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi all. I am currently in Sydney having flown here on the codeshare VA flight from Los Angeles. I do this trip monthly and this was my first time on VA in booked Premium Economy, which is a W fare international and a Y fare domestic (not full Y so no instant upgrade).

My question is with this fare, will Virgin Australia accept or allow a possible business class upgrade with Skymiles? I can bid on an upgrade with cash, the base right now is $800 which I doubt I will do, but just curious on miles and cannot find an answer within the sites.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:05 pm

I don't believe you can use DL miles to upgrade on VA from any fare.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by kop84
I don't believe you can use DL miles to upgrade on VA from any fare.
Correct; you cannot. Even if you had Velocity (VA) points and were booked on a pure VA ticket, you couldn't use the Velocity points to upgrade on a long haul flight unless you were a VA Gold or Platinum. See VA's upgrade information.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by Adrew777
Hi all. I am currently in Sydney having flown here on the codeshare VA flight from Los Angeles. I do this trip monthly and this was my first time on VA in booked Premium Economy, which is a W fare international and a Y fare domestic (not full Y so no instant upgrade).

My question is with this fare, will Virgin Australia accept or allow a possible business class upgrade with Skymiles? I can bid on an upgrade with cash, the base right now is $800 which I doubt I will do, but just curious on miles and cannot find an answer within the sites.
You still get instant upgrade on W/Y ticket... as long as there is an upgrade inventory available.

I flew LGA-ATL-LAX-MEL, SYD-LAX-ATL-LGA earlier this month, and my flights between LGA & ATL were upgraded instantly.

Just like full Y, you won't get insta-upgrade on routes where they don't release upgrade much... like ATL-LAX.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I had wondered because I am Diamond and my VA boarding pass prints out Platinum as a reciprocal thing which, on the plane, they thanked me for my Diamond/Plat status and gave me the customs express and other things for their Plat people. Just was curious. The premium economy route was not bad at all actually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.