Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles 2015 status expiring one month earlier in 2016? (End of Jan.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO

Apologies if I'm late to the party here, but I don't think I've seen this discussed.

It was my understanding and has been my experience that SkyMiles status is valid through the last day of February of the year following the status. For example, my 2014 status is valid through February 28, 2015. This does not appear to be the case for my upcoming 2015 status, however. On Delta.com, if I navigate to "My Delta" and "My SkyMiles" I see the following (bolding mine):

Current Status: Mar 01 2014 - Feb 28 2015
DIAMOND MEDALLION

2015 Status: Mar 01 2015 - Jan 31 2016
PLATINUM MEDALLION
I have searched and only seen reference to this in the Choice Benefits thread as to when the last day to select your Choice Benefits is (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-benefits.html), but feel like this warranted its own thread if status now expires at the end of January. Losing an entire month of status is a pretty firm kick in the rear, is it not?

I also could not find it referred to on the "2015 SkyMiles Program" page: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...s-program.html. Correct me if I am out of the loop
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
This has been discussed but I cannot find the thread right now. DL is upgrading their IT and can accomplish the change 1 month earlier in 2016. (JUST KIDDING)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: DL GM
It's here:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...d-updates.html
The Medallion year traditionally begins March 1 each year to allow time for Medallion membership packages to be delivered. With the streamlined production of membership packages and the availability of digital SkyMiles and Medallion cards in the Fly Delta app, we are able to begin the Medallion year earlier. Starting in 2016, the Medallion year will begin February 1 and subsequently, the 2015 Medallion year will end on January 31, 2016.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by naranjero
That's an interesting rationalization. Corporate Communications must be proud.

Delta did it because United did it three years ago and made it stick, and it's a cost-save' might be a more truthful response.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The change was announced around the first of the year (Dec 10, 2013) and it has been discussed in a number of different threads here. Here is the first of a number of posts mentioning it --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21941040-post15.html

As mentioned upthread, UA made the same change 3 years ago. Also, Alaska has no grace period -- their status year corresponds to the calendar year.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 22, 2014 at 7:48 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
...Corporate Communications must be proud...
Yes -- "...we are able to begin the Medallion year earlier..." sounds like an enhancement whereas "...we are going to end the Medallion year earlier..." doesn't have quite the same ring. So clever...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, at times people on FT complain that from late in the calendar year through february upgrades get especially tough because we have new DMs in addition to those who didn't reqaulify, thus swelling the ranks. The change eliminates one month of this problem.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, at times people on FT complain that from late in the calendar year through february upgrades get especially tough because we have new DMs in addition to those who didn't reqaulify, thus swelling the ranks. The change eliminates one month of this problem.
I guess that is the glass is half full view.

The other side is everyone will lose a month of benefits. It may be deferred if you can maintain the level you are at for many years but will occur.

And it is a perpetual, you will always only get 13 months of benefits at best instead of 14.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by LBJ
The change was announced around the first of the year (Dec 10, 2013) and it has been discussed in a number of different threads here. Here is the first of a number of posts mentioning it --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21941040-post15.html

As mentioned upthread, UA made the same change 3 years ago. Also, Alaska has no grace period -- their status year corresponds to the calendar year.
Well a first, UA had a devaluation and DL followed.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I guess that is the glass is half full view.

The other side is everyone will lose a month of benefits. It may be deferred if you can maintain the level you are at for many years but will occur.

And it is a perpetual, you will always only get 13 months of benefits at best instead of 14.
It is always full for those that are the same level every year. And a benefit for them too since they do not compete against others who will fall off. For me, it is great. Now, let's make it run from Jan. 1 to December 31st. My glass would overflow then.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by tvnwz
It is always full for those that are the same level every year. And a benefit for them too since they do not compete against others who will fall off. For me, it is great. Now, let's make it run from Jan. 1 to December 31st. My glass would overflow then.
My cup runneth over
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
My cup runneth over
I hope you slurped up the Woodford!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.