Wiki Posts
Search

Best route for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum, American Gold
Best route for upgrade

Hello all. I'm a Delta Platinum who needs help picking the best routing to score an upgrade. I'm Flying 1/4/15 BWI-SNA and 1/7/15 SNA-BWI. Connecting airport does not matter. Prefer not to take a flight on either day that departs before 8am. Any suggestions on which routing to take or which fare class is best to buy? I fly this route once a year and buy a first fare but this year those are really expensive so coach seems the best option for me. Using alternative airports is not an option. Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Sunday 1/4/15 is going to be a tougher than normal day since it is the end of a holiday vacation and travel period, the end of the post-Christmas and New Years travel period. The next day is the primary back-to-work/back-to-school-day so this is a higher-volume travel day. This may lead to them holding back more upgrade inventory until the gate as load factors will likely be high, and this a higher probability of paid F fares.

That being said:
Options are:
BWI-MSP/SLC/ATL-SNA

MSP:
BWI-MSP doesn't seem like an elite-heavy route, however MSP-SNA is on an A319 with only 12F seats. This is a very elite heavy route during the weekdays. Odds would be better on the earlier flight, rather than the later flight, but I'd probably think MSP would have lower potential

SLC:
This seems like a good option, but its a 7:30am departure from BWI if you don't mind going early. A320 BWI-SLC, and then a short hop on an A319 SLC-SNA.

ATL:
ATL-SNA is 757s which have plenty of F seats, however these are going to be higher volume flights.

I'd probably go with BWI-SLC-SNA and consider a BWI-ATL-SNA second (earlier, rather than later in the day)

1/7/15:

SLC isn't an option on the way back since the nonstop SLC-BWI departure before the first SNA-SLC flight arrives in the morning.

SNA-ATL is all 757s, I'd go for this over SNA-MSP which is all 12F A319s. So I'd go for SNA-ATL-BWI on the return.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you have miles to burn, you might consider getting a G/P/A ticket using some on a PWM basis
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
MSP-SNA is the most elite heavy route I've ever taken, in terms of percentage of the plane on the upgrade list. Even on a full Y fare I've missed it as a platinum last year.

ATL-SNA can be very elite heavy during the week, but on weekend flights as a gold this year I have been upgraded over half the time. I also greatly prefer the 757s to the 319 personally.

SLC-SNA depends on which time you take it. If you get on a CRJ900 then you've got a good shot at an upgrade. If you get on a 319 not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.