Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New announcement I've never heard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I hate it when FAs insult our intelligence like that. That is a blatant lie. A little like when GAs say that flights are delayed because of weather when there isn't a cloud in the sky.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: SQ & QF
but don't iOS phones (and some Android ones as well) automatically connect to any available wifi networ
Nope, not sure they ever did, i can't remember mine ever doing so.

Plus those devices connecting to the gogo could be from the terminal or prople other AC. Assuming its still on the ground.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by roknroll
Also make sure not to pee in her pool, because she has that special dye that turns red when you pee....
On the other hand, they use a special one in the airplane lavatories that make them turn blue
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by JonB110
I recently had a southwest flight attendant make a similar announcement, then walk up and down the aisles with the credit card reader as if it was detecting signals.
Now this is quite funny.

I hate it when FAs insult our intelligence like that. That is a blatant lie. A little like when GAs say that flights are delayed because of weather when there isn't a cloud in the sky.
Here's how I see it: If you are "intelligent" enough to recognize the "lie," you can have a good laugh. If you aren't .. well then you'd be none the wiser.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by UnderEst
I was going to say that, but then I'm sure we'd have someone argue that they keep their phone plugged into USB power, so it doesn't matter.
Yeah, but then they would start a thread about how their seatmate stole their USB port, and plugged their phone into it. Oh wait, they already did that thread.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SansSerif
Now this is quite funny.

Here's how I see it: If you are "intelligent" enough to recognize the "lie," you can have a good laugh. If you aren't .. well then you'd be none the wiser.
+1. I've heard the seat belt indicator panel joke a couple of times and a number of people around me chuckled realizing that the FA was just joshing with us. I'm quite sure the FA's hear the chuckles and realize that few, if anyone, actually believes them. I see it more as a humorous device to get you to buckle up rather than a deliberate attempt to deceive. I suggest those who take great offense at this might want to chill out a bit.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
She probably thought it sounded better than "Please put your devices in Airplane Mode. We have no way of actually telling if you did, so it's totally honor system."

From what I recall, the only way the FA can access Gogo is through a cabin handset. It would not display the SSID of any devices connected to the wi-fi though - and certainly wouldn't account for cellular signals.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Maybe my local movie theater which always shows a cartoon asking people to turn their cell phones off should use this approach instead. Can you imagine the reaction from the audience if a message was displayed on the movie screen saying that they detected 5 cell phones that were still powered on and the movie will not start until they are turned off?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by roknroll
Also make sure not to pee in her pool, because she has that special dye that turns red when you pee....
Reminds me of a sign that I saw a while back at a friend's pool: "We don't swim in your toilet, so please don't pee in our pool."
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by SansSerif
Now this is quite funny.

+1 ^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by arkangel
Reminds me of a sign that I saw a while back at a friend's pool: "We don't swim in your toilet, so please don't pee in our pool."
"welcome to our ool. Yes, there's no "P" in it, and we would like to keep it that way!"
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
^
Originally Posted by arkangel
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
"welcome to our ool. Yes, there's no "P" in it, and we would like to keep it that way!"
Both excellent. ^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
Just open WiFi on your device mid-flight and you'll see the personal hotspots of the devices not set to airplane mode.

I think the announcement is just a passive way to get compliance rather than going up to the passenger and saying "your device is not in airplane mode" as it usually leads to adolescent style huffing, puffing and debating from an adult.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by bstndance
Just open WiFi on your device mid-flight and you'll see the personal hotspots of the devices not set to airplane mode.
+1 - FA can simply turn on her device in Wifi search mode and find 5 devices named 'Joe IPhone' still active.

It is possible she can be detecting ground personnel or possibly the pilot still active also. Anyway, the announcement is to discourage Mr. 1st Class carrying on email exchange as FA have worked it enough to know what Apple IM, Good Technology or common mail interface sending & receiving.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
I know that if people were compliant, the FAs wouldn't have to stoop to this, so it doesn't offend me.

I see it as kind of like DL with the funny safety videos - if people hear or see something they don't expect, it gets them to at least momentarily pay attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.