Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Crap, it's starting to look like I won't make Platinum Medallion this year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crap, it's starting to look like I won't make Platinum Medallion this year

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Quote:

Originally Posted by RooseveltL

+1
Considering the reduce number of elites next year due to changes in qualification - save yourself the $1,000 and get equal service next year and accept the roll-over miles.

I agree. This late in the year, and 22,000 miles short. I would forgot about wasting money for Plat, and be content with Gold.

While I respect those hardened flyers who do SIN runs; they aren't for me, and I suspect not too many other people either.
What's worse? I predicted a 20k shortfall this year so flew RDU-JFK-SFO-JFK-CDG-GOT-CDG-AMS-ATL-DTW-SFO-JFK-RDU in one weekend. Then I ended up having to fly a lot more for other trips and so it was just one crazy weekend!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Platinum not all that much greater than gold

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I agree. This late in the year, and 22,000 miles short. I would forgot about wasting money for Plat, and be content with Gold.
It seems to me that moving up from Silver to Gold creates worthwhile incremental benefits, as does moving up from Platinum to Diamond. But the incremental benefits of Platinum versus Gold just are not too compelling.

In fact, in anticipation of a light travel year in 2015, I am debating whether to try to land just shy of 75,000 miles in order to preserve rollover miles . . . I'd rather be (a) Gold in 2015 and Gold in 2016 than (b) Platinum in 2015 and Silver (or maybe even "peon") in 2016.

And that brings up an interesting issue . . . in my opinion, Delta should offer folks the option of sacrificing membership in the next higher elite tier if they would rather rollover the miles. Especially if there are others like me who would actually forego flying on Delta specifically to preserve rollover miles.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by andrewk829
But the incremental benefits of Platinum versus Gold just are not too compelling.
One who does a lot of international long-haul travel will find free EC compelling (especially if traveling with family in the same reservation). Free award changes and redeposits can be very useful, too.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One who does a lot of international long-haul travel will find free EC compelling (especially if traveling with family in the same reservation). Free award changes and redeposits can be very useful, too.
Plus PM phone calls tend to go to Chisholm.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:08 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
But the incremental benefits of Platinum versus Gold just are not too compelling.
I'm making the push to PM this year for a few reasons:

1. Partner benefits.

SPG Crossover Rewards start giving the good stuff at PM (Elite check-in, late checkout, etc), and I stay in Starwood hotels often enough to get good use out of this. VS lounge access has been opened up to GMs at the US end of the trip, but LHR is still PM/DM only if you're not in Upper Class.

2. International EC.

I'm planning to make more international trips next year, and won't always want to (or be able to) be on a partner with Premium Economy and buy up to it. EC isn't as good but it'll make those long hauls a little less painful.

3. Award redeposit/reissue fee waiver.

I may or may not book reward trips next year (either for myself or for others), but if I do I really like having the flexibility this gives.

4. Choice benefits.

I miss the old SWUs, but I can always find a use for a $200 voucher.

5. Higher upgrade priority.

My upgrade experience this year as a GM has been either "clear at the window" (a few really easy flights) or "You're #12 on the list for the 2 remaining seats" (the rest of the time). I figure this way I'll get to be #6 on the list for the 2 remaining seats instead.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... incremental benefits of Platinum versus Gold just are not too compelling.
I'll respectfully disagree ... looking at my travel plans for 2015 and early 2016, the ability to change award tickets w/o penalty will be huge

some of this travel may be international, so free EC will be significant

and at least half my domestic travel is likely to be JFK <--> SEA, so the possibility of those TCON UGs is always nice

And that brings up an interesting issue ... in my opinion, Delta should offer folks the option of sacrificing membership in the next higher elite tier if they would rather rollover the miles. Especially if there are others like me who would actually forego flying on Delta specifically to preserve rollover miles.
this is indeed an interesting thought, but I have to say it's really impractical in terms of running/administering the program ... I think it would have to be an irrevocable opt-in decision with a firm deadline (if you don't choose this option by xx date, the standard rules apply), and I can hear the squawks of dozens of people who would want DL to let them change their mind as their travel plans changed (especially late in the year)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus PM phone calls tend to go to Chisholm.
I've seldom been so lucky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.