Wiki Posts
Search

Skis on Delta (LGA->BTV on a CR7)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Skis on Delta (LGA->BTV on a CR7)

Good morning,

About to purchase a flight LGA->BTV for a ski trip to Stowe around Xmas. (don't own a car so the flight is about half of what a rental car would cost).

I know as a GM I get two free checked bags so that covers my skis and boots. I'll bring a carry on (which will likely get gate checked) and a laptop bag as a personal item.

My question is, do they ever run out of space for checked bags on flights like this? I know VT isn't Colorado but presumably a flight to/from Vermont in late December will have a lot of skiers/snowboarders bringing lots of gear on the relatively small CR7.

Has anyone ever seen a situation like this? And if so, what did Delta do? Would my bags get priority as a GM? Or is it based on who checks in first?

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta, United
As a GM your bags will be tagged priority so in theory that should give them priority - but what the baggage handlers do is anyone's guess. Check time does not really matter - except in how the bags are loaded.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
I flew from ATL-SMF in January last year and got bumped (with a very nice compensation) because the plane was too heavy. The plane bumped about 5 or 6 people total... They kept the checked luggage on the plane (I had checked two items) and my travel companion (who stayed on the plane) just picked it up at baggage claim when she landed.

Long story short: they may ask for volunteers to get off the plane because of the weight and fly the bags to the final destination.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Note that your boot bag and ski bag should be counted together as only one checked item.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by kahuna613
Note that your boot bag and ski bag should be counted together as only one checked item.
Depending on combined weight, yes. I've never had a problem at all.

I fly SLC-DEN frequently with my ski gear - have not (yet) run into a problem. (mix of CR7 and CR9). Not saying it couldn't happen, but prob would be no different than any other volunteer bump. The priority bag tags should protect your gear from an offload situation.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: DL GM
I make it a habit to carry my boots on with me. They will fit inside a carry on bag with my base layers and gloves or you can just strap them together and carry them separately.

If your gear doesn't make it you can usually find demos or decent rentals but if you don't get your boots that is a problem that can make or break your trip (especially if you have had them custom fit).
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Many U.S. ski destinations are served by various CRx aircraft by a number of operating carriers: Aspen, Gunnsion, Montrose... Specific flight conditions may demand that they be weight-restricted. This is needless worrying, especially given the short distance LGA-BTV compared to range, and the frequency of Delta flights LGA-BTV.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM
The only time I've personally experienced bags deliberately being left behind was on a CR2 out of CSG where more than half the plane were soldiers on PCS to Korea. They seemed to have 3-4 checked bags each (they are allowed up to four 70 lb bags each at no charge).

My bag did make it on, but I heard a ramper tell the pilots that five bags were left behind. It kind of made me feel bad that some of those guys were going to get to Korea without all their stuff and since I was just heading home I would have gladly volunteered to have my bag delivered at a later time.

In any case, absent something extreme like this I wouldn't worry too much about your skis making it to VT.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AS 75k; Hyatt Plat
Honestly wouldn't worry about it at all. Up until this spring I was located in BTV and would fly that route 10-15x a year (mostly in the winter) and baggage was never an issue. BTV is a little slow at times delivering the baggage, but from the plane standpoint no worries. Also enjoy the upgrade, its virtually guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.