Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta International In-cabin Dog

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by carzin
The backup plan is me staying at home, with the dog, without the company of my inlaws. How upset do you think I'll be?
That should be plan A!

Tell the wife you heard on FT that DL is 100% following the rules and there is no way "fido" can get on-board. Stay home and no In-Laws. It sounds like a win-win. ^ FT to the rescue!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
It's all good, until you get KICKED OUT OF YOUR EC SEAT!

I always follow the rules.
Yes, you and Mr. Leo do, but the person with the dog on my last BE trip did not.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by carzin
Thanks, all. I had no idea about the first class rules for international. We would have been told at booking, but I'm glad to know ahead of time.

Our dog is so well behaved the other passengers don't eveh know we have a dog until we are deboarding the plane. In fact, the carrier doesn't look like a carrier, so most FAs wouldn't even know it's a dog. We'll just fly under the radar

The backup plan is me staying at home, with the dog, without the company of my inlaws. How upset do you think I'll be?
Don't be so sure.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Can I ask a question? Do you folks advise the airline you are carrying on a dog or sneak it on?

I ask because the GA should be aware of any pets onboard if another passenger has allergies.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Dogs in the airport

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I fly BOS-AMS and AMS-BOS once a year with a (just shy of) 7kg, 15lb dog.

In AMS, he's able to stay out of his carrier (and visit all areas of Schiphol including the KLM lounge) until just before boarding the flight.
And that's one of the nice things about Europe . . . in many countries, there far fewer puritanical dog rules compared to the U.S., so "dog parents" can bring their 4-legged companions with them to many establishments without people freaking out about it.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:42 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by andrewk829
And that's one of the nice things about Europe . . . in many countries, there far fewer puritanical dog rules compared to the U.S., so "dog parents" can bring their 4-legged companions with them to many establishments without people freaking out about it.
Yep. In Amsterdam, that includes places like the Apple Store, Department Stores, public transport and about 60%+ of the restaurants in my neighborhood.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by andrewk829
Maybe they're "freaking out" because the "dog parents" think they need their 4-legged companions everywhere they go these days. So in your mind, it's OK for someone to have their dog in common areas, ie an airplane or say a department store, rubbing up against clothes that my wife, who is allergic, may try on or buy (and then suffer) not knowing your 4-legged companion had to join you on your trip to the mall?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Are there no longer international quarantine rules? IIRC, in the past, pets were held up to 3 months at some POEs (depending upon the nation).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At least he plans to follow the rules.

On my last long haul international trip, a woman with a dog moved up to an empty BE seat near me shortly after takeoff. The dog was out of the container for almost the entire flight, including being carried back and forth to the lavatory with her, although when the FAs changed toward the end of the flight, I noticed that she tried to hide the beast under a scarf when she took it up to the restroom.
How is this even possible for someone to poach a BE seat on an international flight?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Can I ask a question? Do you folks advise the airline you are carrying on a dog or sneak it on?
How does one sneak a dog onboard an aircraft??
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by SansSerif
very carefully?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by craig44485
How is this even possible for someone to poach a BE seat on an international flight?
I saw about a half dozen people move up to BE on my most recent international flight. According to the seat map, the BE cabin was perhaps sixty or seventy percent full shortly before takeoff and then a bunch of people just moved up. When we arrived, I even asked a DL staff member at ATL whether a certain three seats near me were supposed to be empty or full and the person told me that they were empty according to the seat map on DL's computers at that time, after the flight.

It seems strange that the FAs allowed it, given how much DL emphasizes "protecting" the "integrity" of the BE cabin. I could easily imagine BE passengers being upset at seeing this.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:49 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by relangford
Are there no longer international quarantine rules? IIRC, in the past, pets were held up to 3 months at some POEs (depending upon the nation).
There is no quarantine in The Netherlands, or most of the EU. Upon arrival, and new residence you can get your dog an EU Pet Passport; that allows for more seamless travel within the EU (and upon return). Otherwise, when entering the EU ex-USA, you would need USDA certification of you dog within 10 days of flying.

Originally Posted by SansSerif
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
very carefully?
I'd say the "risk" of sneaking on a dog, is that you might be denied boarding or kicked off the flight. They do have the dogs listed on the manifest (as they have the infants in arms listed).

I saw about a half dozen people move up to BE on my most recent international flight. According to the seat map, the BE cabin was perhaps sixty or seventy percent full shortly before takeoff and then a bunch of people just moved up. When we arrived, I even asked a DL staff member at ATL whether a certain three seats near me were supposed to be empty or full and the person told me that they were empty according to the seat map on DL's computers at that time, after the flight.

It seems strange that the FAs allowed it, given how much DL emphasizes "protecting" the "integrity" of the BE cabin. I could easily imagine BE passengers being upset at seeing this.
Wow. That is incredible. I am amazed this happened. What route? Recent?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
On my last long haul international trip, a woman with a dog moved up to an empty BE seat near me shortly after takeoff. The dog was out of the container for almost the entire flight, including being carried back and forth to the lavatory with her, although when the FAs changed toward the end of the flight, I noticed that she tried to hide the beast under a scarf when she took it up to the restroom.
Ah, a true dog lover, eh.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond

Wow, simply amazing. Did they get the BE meal service also? This hardly seems fair to the people who paid to fly in BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.