Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No MQD if ticket purchased using an affinity program - such as Visa Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No MQD if ticket purchased using an affinity program - such as Visa Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bsktpdlr
Thanks everyone - the agent said it was ALL fares booked through award/benefit programs, not just Visa Rewards. I'll let you know once I get more details from Delta (if I get more details).
That would be just idiotic, and quite frankly impossible for Dullta to know did you pay using cash or points for it, as you can book it, e.g. through US Bank FlexPerks or Chase UltimateRewards, also all in cash in addition to all or part in points. How you actually paid for it DL can't possibly know; it can only know through whom you booked it, and DL blocking Elan Financial Services / Travelocity, Rearden Commerce, etc. as booking sources for MQD earning would seem to the net cast far too wide. So, I don't believe it, as doing this would cause far, far too much impact on actual full paying customers and travel agencies and could cause a landslide of problems for Dullta. Most likely the OP just got a consolidator or other unpublished fare here.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL Platinum 15 Years, Diamond 6 Years, DL Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold
This is what I received back

Flight Redemption Terms and Conditions:
Effective for new Delta tickets only, issued on or after October 1, 2014, Delta will adjust its policy for its SkyMiles program for any flights paid with rewards via Affinity Programs (loyalty, affinity or similar program offered by a credit card issuer) sold by a third party. Flights paid with rewards will earn miles per Delta SkyMiles program, but no Medallion qualification criteria (e.g., MQMs, MQDs and MQSs) will be earned. Tickets purchased with your Rewards card will continue to earn both miles and Medallion qualification criteria per the Delta SkyMiles program.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bsktpdlr
Flight Redemption Terms and Conditions:
Effective for new Delta tickets only, issued on or after October 1, 2014, Delta will adjust its policy for its SkyMiles program for any flights paid with rewards via Affinity Programs (loyalty, affinity or similar program offered by a credit card issuer) sold by a third party. Flights paid with rewards will earn miles per Delta SkyMiles program, but no Medallion qualification criteria (e.g., MQMs, MQDs and MQSs) will be earned. Tickets purchased with your Rewards card will continue to earn both miles and Medallion qualification criteria per the Delta SkyMiles program.
Oh, now this is really bad then. Is this from Delta?

And note that it's not just no MQD, but no MQM either.

How does Delta distinguish did you just use the Affinity Program booking agency (e.g. Travelocity, Rearden Commerce) and paid real money, vs. paid by points?

It still makes little sense, as it doesn't matter how the customer pays, DL is still paid in real cash by the booking agency.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:48 pm

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ion-fares.html

nor

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html

have anything on this... yet?

Another major devaluation by stealth, and not even disclosed on dullta.com?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RealHJ
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ion-fares.html

nor

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html

have anything on this... yet?

Another major devaluation by stealth, and not even disclosed on dullta.com?
I wasn't able to find anything in Google either.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just ran into this issue when booking through my Visa Signature rewards site as well... same warning message.

The DM agent had no clue about this and could not find anything.

She suggested making an actual booking to understand what's the reasoning/code behind it. The cheapest DL fare i could find was ~$70 and then added with booking fee, that makes it a good chunk of points that I'd be out if this is true (my rewards site does not offer cancellation/refunds).

Edit: will still investigate and post update
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Please do!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just ran into this issue when booking through my Visa Signature rewards site as well... same warning message.

The DM agent had no clue about this and could not find anything.

She suggested making an actual booking to understand what's the reasoning/code behind it. The cheapest DL fare i could find was ~$70 and then added with booking fee, that makes it a good chunk of points that I'd be out if this is true (my rewards site does not offer cancellation/refunds).

Edit: will still investigate and post update
What issuing bank?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
What issuing bank?
this is clearly targeted at USBank (seen all their billboards at MSP?) and other similar providers, most of whom use Orbitz or another online travel agency to issue the tickets. That said, I havent seen anything from USBank (which I would expect) to inform me that these redemptions of their "miles" are not as valuable as they once were
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
this is clearly targeted at USBank (seen all their billboards at MSP?) and other similar providers, most of whom use Orbitz or another online travel agency to issue the tickets. That said, I havent seen anything from USBank (which I would expect) to inform me that these redemptions of their "miles" are not as valuable as they once were
We book all of our tickets via the US Bank portal, and I have received the appropriate PQD on tickets this year.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
We book all of our tickets via the US Bank portal, and I have received the appropriate PQD on tickets this year.
When was the last time you booked and flown?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yohanson
When was the last time you booked and flown?
On Delta it was January 22-24th.

We still don't know what topcat_dcx was using though.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Visa Signature Rewards Portal from PNC Bank.
Couldn't book a ticket last night and today its all about the Denmark Krone..
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:02 pm

US Bank books via Travelocity. Or it at least it did when I booked in November for DL F. I'm not sure how DL would know it was a US Bank ticket vs any other Travelocity PAX. I didn't have any issues with MQM/MQD.

Though, there is a risk of getting some sort of consolidator ticket when using booking portals. Biggest issue I've seen is most sites don't give you the full fare code until ticketing happens.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:23 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
On Delta it was January 22-24th.

We still don't know what topcat_dcx was using though.
Are you booking using points, cash, or a combination?

My concern is the combination (points + cash) when booking via a CC points scheme. I have had success booking with Amex MR points+cash but am hesitant to try Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.