Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta RTW going away?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jbalis
waiting to hear from the delta defenders about how their program is great ect ect ect
Wait a sec, why is DL getting rid of RTW? I thought this more or less was a ST program (but redeemed individually by airlines)? Or is it that DL is just canning the award RTW program? Too good of a deal?

Sadly, DL fleecing on great benefits takes another step today...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wait a sec, why is DL getting rid of RTW? I thought this more or less was a ST program (but redeemed individually by airlines)? Or is it that DL is just canning the award RTW program? Too good of a deal?

The moment AA took away it's OneWorld "Explorer" award a few months ago (with no notice whatsoever - clearly "learning" from DL), was there any doubt that DL would follow suit? DL will never let someone else beat it in the continual devaluation by stealth game, of which it likes to think of itself as the undisputed master.

Thankfully, there are still other airlines which offer the equivalent (e.g. JL's oneworld awards work well and are 120,000 for J round the world without too circuitous routing, though the YQ charges can easily add up to more than $500). One would be smart to save up on SPG points and the like that can be converted a wide variety of airline miles vs. stock up on airline specific points, like DL SlyMiles.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Dovster, pricing a RTW award based on multiple one-way awards and ticketing them under one PNR should still be technically possible (but generally more expensive).

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
The devaluations are just getting started and it won't be long before all airline mileage programs will be revenue-based for both earning and redeeming.
All airline mileage programs? No.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:57 am
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
again delta saying we value our customers.....so a majority of people next year will earn less miles and do less with them, or we will cap what you earn and limit what you do. More award availability, gee thanks if I can do nothing I want with them that availability is awesome! Maybe next week I can wake up and find out my miles are going to expire next week, or I can't use my peso's with KE anymore, maybe a 25$ for the DM line, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why should DL mangement care? They are a big cartel kingpin and can knee-cap SkyMiles customers largely with impunity, and so they are doing so. These awards eat up a lot of time to book and most SkyMiles customers won't ever come close to having enough miles stocked up for a RTW award even in economy class. Instead, DL will try to fleece the customers via charging for a set of multiple one-way awards -- or maybe charging at some kind of fixed redemption value per mile for a cash-equivalent fare -- that generally results in needing far more miles for flying than is the case today.

Give it to DL management to squeeze out consumer surplus from SkyMiles and transform that consumer surplus into supplier surplus and the extraordinary profits that arise from that in this oligopolistic marketplace where competition has been destroyed with assistance from the airline-industry-lobbyist-bought government. The competition horse has been sent to the glue factory, and the customers are stuck in this customer-unfriendly environment.

I agree, they are doing an excellent job to squeeze out every inch of profit. That being said, someone somewhere in Atlanta does keep a prioritized list of consumer comments/complaints. Should DL's market share/profitability ever start to get soft (the world changes quickly, who knows what will happen in the next 2 years) -- they will go to that list and probably start going backwards.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Dovster, pricing a RTW award based on multiple one-way awards and ticketing them under one PNR should still be technically possible (but generally more expensive).
When I was making my TLV-JFK-LAS itinerary, the TLV-JFK legs were available at the saver rate (140,000 SkyMiles) but the JFK-LAS leg was at a higher rate, and I was told that if I put them all on the same itinerary the whole thing would be at the higher rate -- making the trip about double the SkyMile cost.

(If JFK-LAS had been available at the low rate, I could have done the entire thing for the 140,000 SkyMiles.)

In the end, I paid for JFK-LAS-ATL and then added ATL-JFK (which was available at the low rate) to my JFK-TLV return. This means that if ATL-JFK has a problem, and does not arrive in time, I am protected for my return JFK-TLV flight as they are on the same PNR.

I am not worried about JFK-LAS (assuming that I am not delayed more than 34 hours in arriving at JFK). If the JFK-LAS flight is delayed, it just means I won't have the full 10 days in LAS. If the LAS-ATL flight is delayed, it will reduce my 3 days in ATL.

Without the extra time built into my stays in NYC and LAS, the fact that I will not be on the same itinerary as my award stay could well have cost me a lot of money for a missed flight -- even though my missing the flight would have been Delta's fault.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
BLAH!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is why they're doing it:
Give it to DL management to squeeze out consumer surplus from SkyMiles and transform that consumer surplus into supplier surplus and the extraordinary profits that arise from that in this oligopolistic marketplace where competition has been destroyed with assistance from the airline-industry-lobbyist-bought government. The competition horse has been sent to the glue factory, and the customers are stuck in this customer-unfriendly environment.
And don't forget this side effect... even if you can piece it together using the 'new' 1-way awards, you're going to get nailed for origination fees.
Originally Posted by Orion316
Don't forget, on tix originating in Europe you'll have to pay fuel surcharges. So now you're out miles and quite a bit in real money.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox

They are NOT getting rid of RTW. Only RTW with skymiles. You can still buy a RTW ticket ^
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
I agree, they are doing an excellent job to squeeze out every inch of profit. That being said, someone somewhere in Atlanta does keep a prioritized list of consumer comments/complaints. Should DL's market share/profitability ever start to get soft (the world changes quickly, who knows what will happen in the next 2 years) -- they will go to that list and probably start going backwards.
I don't think thats likely... with the airlines operating as an oligopoly and using heavy lobbying to block out external competition, they can control the market how they wish. Even if things start to 'soften' they'll just reduce capacity and squeeze more out of your pocket with additional fees. I'm sure there is a list, however its at the bottom of the pile behind all of the bright ideas from MBAs on how to squeeze more blood from the stone.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yohanson
Speaking of which...isn't it a flat rate for RTW J? If so, how much is it? I can't find it on DL's website but I swore I've seen it before.
its not on DL's website. Its on Skyteams website...here:

http://www.skyteam.com/en/Flights-an...World-Planner/

and to be frank with you, the RTW business class prices really aren't that bad. The only real bummer is that say you spend $11,000 on a RTW BE ticket, you are still capped at the 75,000 max mileage credit.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
RTW tickets need to be booked into the correct (discount/restricted) fare classes. It can be hard to find availability of the required inventory.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:50 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yohanson
Speaking of which...isn't it a flat rate for RTW J? If so, how much is it? I can't find it on DL's website but I swore I've seen it before.
You used to be able to find the fare info in ExpertFlyer... I think you will need to call as the fare isn't published online.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:52 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
its not on DL's website. Its on Skyteams website...here:

http://www.skyteam.com/en/Flights-an...World-Planner/

and to be frank with you, the RTW business class prices really aren't that bad. The only real bummer is that say you spend $11,000 on a RTW BE ticket, you are still capped at the 75,000 max mileage credit.
Those are the general terms and conditions. The fare rules and fare rates are different depending on which SkyTeam carrier is originating the ticket so would need to be obtained from the operating carrier or a travel agent. You can also find them if you have access to a GDS.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTT
Those are the general terms and conditions. The fare rules and fare rates are different depending on which SkyTeam carrier is originating the ticket so would need to be obtained from the operating carrier or a travel agent. You can also find them if you have access to a GDS.
You can absolutely get a price from skyteam.com. Use the RTW Planner:

http://roundtheworld.skyteam.com/B2C...me/WelcomePage

I just priced out an itinerary in BE and it gave me a price of $12,000 or so. It mostly depends on mileage bands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.