Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AA Asks U.S. Government for DL's Daily Seattle-Tokyo Haneda Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Asks U.S. Government for DL's Daily Seattle-Tokyo Haneda Route

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Geez, HND seems to be a very permiscuius airport. She's had a turn with every US airline and is constantly being passed around!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Geez, HND seems to be a very permiscuius airport. She's had a turn with every US airline and is constantly being passed around!
Well she is very close to Tokyo and convenient
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
I find this so interesting. Has anyone really made a HND route work? While I was based in London, BA's HND route had notoriously low yields (admittedly the landing slot timing makes for very poor route timing out of LHR...not sure if there are similar issues exUSA). It looks like all the exUSA HND routes have been in constant flux since being awarded. Why the all the romance drama?

That said, I'd personally love an exLAX route given I'm now based here in SoCal.
The Japanese carriers and HA are succeeding in HND. Even DL's LAX flight has never been cancelled outside of a temporary period after the March 11 earthquake. I imagine UA's SFO-HND will eventually gain some traction too.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
The Japanese carriers and HA are succeeding in HND. Even DL's LAX flight has never been cancelled outside of a temporary period after the March 11 earthquake. I imagine UA's SFO-HND will eventually gain some traction too.
True, but Japanese carriers don't have the restrictions on timing that US carriers do. Also HA is a bit different market then mainland US. I bet if US carriers could have the same access they'd be able to do something with the route.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
True, but Japanese carriers don't have the restrictions on timing that US carriers do. Also HA is a bit different market then mainland US. I bet if US carriers could have the same access they'd be able to do something with the route.
Actually, they do have the same limitations in arrival-departures. JL has made SFO work in spite of SFO being a *A hub, and NH has made LAX work in spite of having a NRT offering and with competition from DL.

The Japanese carriers DO have the advantage of being able to make better use of planes between flights. However, this hasn't actually been a reality with JL's flight, but that will change in December when SFO-HND changes to a 12AM dep/5AM arr.

Daytime HND slots have been set aside from US flights, but there's apparently a delay in negotiations between Japan and DOT.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
It's like a romance drama.

2010: DOT awards 4 slots to HA (HNL), AA (JFK), and DL (LAX, DTW). UA (SFO) and CO (EWR, GUM) lose out. AA also doesn't get LAX.

2012: DL cancels DTW, requests for shift to SEA. UA/HA counterapply w/ KOA and SFO, but DL wins again.

2013: AA cancels JFK-HND. UA/HA apply to take over the slot; UA wins and they start that service later this month.

2014: AA applies for LAX-HND in place of the nearly-dormant SEA-HND by DL. Verdict remains to be seen.

In other words:

Slot 1: HA (HNL)
Slot 2: DL (LAX)
Slot 3: DL→DL→AA? (DTW, SEA, LAX?)
Slot 4: AA→UA (JFK, SFO)
With limited Haneda service, I don't favor duplication by AA to LAX..

I have absolutely no power but if I did:
slot 1: HA - HNL. HNL needs HND service. HA is a good choice for that service.
slot 2: ok, LAX by DL is ok. LAX by AA would have also been ok but they didn't get it.
slot 4: UA SFO is a very good choice even though it was not in the original decision.
slot 3: with 1, 2, and 4 in place, there may be:
DL SEA seasonal
AA LAX
CO GUM, EWR (CO is now called UA)
HA KOA

With that, I vote DL SEA but AA LAX is second.

Seems to be no UA ORD, UA IAH, UA IAD, DL ATL, AA DFW, AA ORD demand.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:37 pm

I find this so interesting. Has anyone really made a HND route work? While I was based in London, BA's HND route had notoriously low yields (admittedly the landing slot timing makes for very poor route timing out of LHR...not sure if there are similar issues exUSA). It looks like all the exUSA HND routes have been in constant flux since being awarded. Why the all the romance drama?

That said, I'd personally love an exLAX route given I'm now based here in SoCal.
HAL, JAL, and ANA all have, the last three have advantage of the Japanese carriers large networks out of HND and UAL and AAL US routes. HAL has a massive demand for Hawaii Japan tourist dollars.

Last edited by ROCAT; Oct 4, 2014 at 2:49 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ROCAT
HAL, JAL, and ANA all have, the last three have advantage of the Japanese carriers large networks out of HND and UAL and AAL US routes. HAL has a massive demand for Hawaii Japan tourist dollars.
AA should have benefited similarly to JAL on their JFK-HND route and didn't.

Frankly, I haven't actually seen any evidence that HA, JL, or NH are doing well on their routes. We have speculation, and they don't seem as eager to abandon the routes as the some other carriers, but JL and NH, at least, don't exactly make a lot of money. It could be simply that the other carriers are doing just as poorly, but don't have anywhere better to fly the planes...
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:12 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
... That said, I'd personally love an exLAX route given I'm now based here in SoCal.
You have one. DL flies LAX-HND and isn't giving up on it (yet).
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Give SEA<>HND to EK or AS.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Give SEA<>HND to EK or AS.
I'd love to see the Eskimo on a beautiful new 787!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'd love to see the Eskimo on a beautiful new 787!
Great way to stick it to DL!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Frankly, I haven't actually seen any evidence that HA, JL, or NH are doing well on their routes. We have speculation, and they don't seem as eager to abandon the routes as the some other carriers, but JL and NH, at least, don't exactly make a lot of money. It could be simply that the other carriers are doing just as poorly, but don't have anywhere better to fly the planes...
The AA flight from JFK arrived very late in the evening, when domestic connections were all gone, so there were no benefits of domestic connections, the aircraft then spend 8 hours on the ground departing in the morning. With the initial slot times it was difficult to make it profitable for AA. With the day time slots now available, that might be easier.

I don't have specific statistics, apart from my booking experiences. But for the cities served by the same airline from both HND and NRT, HND has the higher prices and sell out earlier.

The financial performance of ANA and JAL compared to the US counterparts might have more to do with absence of nickel and dime'ing the passengers at each possible step, than it has to do with poor yields out of Haneda.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Oct 4, 2014 at 7:33 pm Reason: typos
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American carriers have learned that the restrictive HND arrival/departure window does not result in economically viable flights from any part of the USA other than the west coast. DL learned this lesson when it finally gave up on DTW and moved the frequency to SEA.

JAL has been extremely profitable since exiting Japan's version of bankruptcy reorganization. with profit margins that are the envy of the worldwide industry. Don't know how much money JAL makes on its SFO-HND flight, but overall, JAL's profits are impressive.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The AA flight from JFK arrived very late in the evening, when domestic connections were all gone, so there were no benefits of domestic connections, the aircraft then spend 8 hours on the ground departing in the morning. With the initial slot times it was difficult to make it profitable for AA. With the day time slots now available, that might be easier.
Agreed. Business travelers have become accustomed to leaving the USA around noon and arriving in TYO in late afternoon. Likewise, they're used to departing TYO in the early evening. There's really nothing favorable about any airline's current HND schedule under the restrictive long-haul curfew.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The financial performance of ANA and JAL compared to the US counterparts might have more to do with absence of nickel and dime'ing the passengers at each possible step, than it has to do with poor yields out of Haneda.
As I posted above, JAL's profit margins since exiting bankruptcy put even DL's margins to shame.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA

JAL has been extremely profitable since exiting Japan's version of bankruptcy reorganization. with profit margins that are the envy of the worldwide industry. Don't know how much money JAL makes on its SFO-HND flight, but overall, JAL's profits are impressive.

<snip>

As I posted above, JAL's profit margins since exiting bankruptcy put even DL's margins to shame.
Huh? DL's 2014 operating margin is likely to be substantially higher than JAL's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.