Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's Going on With DL Fares, Huge Price Differences...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List

OK, I'm looking into an itinerary from ATL-LAX for the week before Thanksgiving to take advantage of usually relatively normal priced airfares before the holiday fare prices kick in...

My generic search via ITA shows that UA, AA, US are all priced in the $380's for 1 stop service to LAX... However, DL is coming up over $600 for the NS flights... Seriously? Looking at the DL fare buckets, they are selling U and Q buckets but have X and V still out there potentially...

It's insane... I know that flights from the Hub to Hub are usually more expensive by a bit but seriously??
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Sounds like a no brainer. I'd fly the 1 stop on UA or AA.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like nonstop and one-stop flights are different markets, with the one-stop passengers generally being more price sensitive. [Obviously if the nonstop flights were cheaper or the same price, most people would pick them.]
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like nonstop and one-stop flights are different markets, with the one-stop passengers generally being more price sensitive. [Obviously if the nonstop flights were cheaper or the same price, most people would pick them.]
$250 more? That's seemingly absurd.

However, the WN nonstop fares are still $400, which is within reason... Usually WN and DL nonstops share same fares in/out of ATL.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tfc3rid

However, the WN nonstop fares are still $400, which is within reason... Usually WN and DL nonstops share same fares in/out of ATL.
Not for lawyers, consultants, etc. who bill more than about $125-250 an hour (calculated based on the connection adding two hours to the trip, of which perhaps one hour might be able to be spent doing some work).

ADDED: This is not a high hourly rate for qualified professionals.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 30, 2014 at 9:15 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:52 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Use a one-way ticket on the hidden city trick for ATL - get that fare and drop off at ATL. Wait at the gate for any upgrades, give the upgrade to someone so you continue the leg or play the gambling game (A few a year won't hurt).

One-way ticket back.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you don't want to pay the difference for the non-stop, fly a connection. Everybody values his time (and the risk of a misconnect) differently.

The fact that you came here rather than buying a cheaper fare instantly shows you're still considering a DL purchase.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:03 am

Are the DL connecting flights $250 cheaper or is this like many of the exMSP markets with the better fares requiring nonstops?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My generic search via ITA shows that UA, AA, US are all priced in the $380's for 1 stop service to LAX... However, DL is coming up over $600 for the NS flights... Seriously? Looking at the DL fare buckets, they are selling U and Q buckets but have X and V still out there potentially...
This is Delta's strategy on its most profitable routes, and has been for some time. They are willing to let other airlines sell seats well in advance at lower prices, sit back, and know that they are going to be able to sell their seats closer to departure time for more money. Delta's revenue management and "journey control" software, and their stated policy to match aircraft size to demand has been simply uncanny in filling their airplanes profitably.

This is why on many routes they are unwilling to compete with other airlines on price. However, when they are competing on a route with an airline with whom they have a serious jones (like many routes out of BWI where they are competing with WN, or now DCA where they are competing with the likes of WN and B6), they will slash and burn.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you don't want to pay the difference for the non-stop, fly a connection. Everybody values his time (and the risk of a misconnect) differently.

The fact that you came here rather than buying a cheaper fare instantly shows you're still considering a DL purchase.
OP probably will just as DL expects people to do. It seems so silly that people come to complain about how they think something is overpriced. DL seems to be doing well financially so I assume revenue management knows what they are doing
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Feeling your pain. Looking at fares to LAS, DL was $300 more than UA, $200 more than AA. And this was for a T fare bucket.

But it is not absurd. The airlines charge whatever they can. Sometimes they make mistakes and overprice, sometimes they underprice. Bottom line, if you don’t want to pay the DL fare, fly another airline. Talking with your wallet will do far more to reduce airfares than a rant on FT.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
I found some Southwest non-stops ATL<->LAX Weds. before to Tue. after at $374 roundtrip
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:20 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I am not sure of the OP's dates, but I looked just looked at 11/17 to 11/21 (Mon to Sat) and Delta is $473 for the non-stop. UA is $404. OP, are you trying for a mid-week, less than 3 night stay?

Does AS offer anything with a connection in SEA? Would still get MQDs (if you called Delta to ticket) but might be cheaper.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Well, sadly, the only days I can travel that routing are Tuesday outbound, Friday inbound as I have an event Saturday midday... So I guess it's just a bad arrangement of days...

I'm considering WN even tough I despise them... Personal trip so I'd rather have spending money than spend for the airline...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

I'm considering a DL purchase only because I 'may' be close to Platinum for 2015...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.