Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A rumor about LAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:58 am

[QUOTE=ClipperDelta;23602885]With these adds, DL will already be quite large at LAX: approx 158 flights a day with nonstops to 54 destinations.

Domestic: # of daily flights (approx) 36 nonstop destinations

International: # of daily flights (approx): 18 destinations nonstop]

So some notable route missing from the LAX network.
IAD, EWR, ORD, PHL, DEN, IAH, RNO, STL, MKE, ABQ, ELP. OKC.
International: ICN, AKL, MEL, SAP, MGA, LIM, BOG (maybe)
Any opinions?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why stop here? There are arguments for adding BOS, LGA, DCA, MIA, PHX, SEA, DEN, IAH, DFW, ATL, MSP, SAN,.......to your list of airports that should be served by nonstops operated by all three alliances.
you're an economist ... just come on out and say it

it's the battle between microeconomics and macroeconomics: despite the fact that a dozen or so vocal FTers would love to have service that better meets their needs/desires, why should that third carrier waste its resources chasing unprofitable objectives? plain and simple ... demand in these markets doesn't support a third carrier
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Windiesga
Any opinions?
IAD/DCA/BIW makes sense. EWR doesn't (JFK is close enough). ORD agree. PHL maybe. DEN yes. IAH would make sense for Compass/Skywest (since they fly to DFW, AUS, and SAT already). The rest are probably too small to justify without impacting SLC or MSP.

ICN would compete against their SEA-ICN route. They fly to SYD, can't see adding AKL or MEL. Don't see a huge demand for central/south America?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
The rest are probably too small to justify without impacting SLC or MSP.
That, or too much direct competition already. In STL both AA and WN offer non-stops to LAX. There is only a slight premium on the non-stops vs the 1-stops. If a third airline jumps in, the likely outcome is a fare level that none of the carriers want. While I would love a nonstop to LAX on DL, I'm not holding my breath.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
[QUOTE=Windiesga;23721274]
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
With these adds, DL will already be quite large at LAX: approx 158 flights a day with nonstops to 54 destinations.

Any opinions?
DL tried LAX-PHL and it didn't. Everytime I tried to book the non-stop the fares were hundreds of dollars more than taking a connection through DTW, MSP or ATL. Did not justify the price. It died.

Now that VX has pulled out of PHL there may be an opportunity again.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
[QUOTE=Windiesga;23721274]
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
With these adds, DL will already be quite large at LAX: approx 158 flights a day with nonstops to 54 destinations.

Any opinions?
IAD - seems like UA territory to me
EWR - seems like UA territory as well
ORD - already has AA and UA. Why get involved in that potential bloodbath you will lose?
PHL - maybe now that VX dropped out, US/AA have the only non-stop. Might be worth a shot?
IAH - who goes to Houston??
RNO - is good for a 50 seat CRJ, maybe
STL - might be good for going after AA customers
MKE - what's wrong with connecting through MSP?
ABQ - what's wrong with connecting through SLC?
ELP - you would think SLC - ELP would come before LAX - ELP
OKC - where's that?
ICN - KE already does this and they are in the same alliance (kind of)
AKL - It would be a great way to burn SkyMiles and it's a 1300 mile backtrack from SYD. But, who would fly DL when you can fly NZ?
MEL - you can go through SYD
SAP - you can go through ATL
MGA - I heard ATL is pretty nice to go through
LIM - Doesn't Everything go Through Atlanta?
BOG - Hello Atlanta
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:39 am

It's too late in the game that u can find a route ex - LAX with no competition. Sometimes, you have to offer routes that adds strategic importance and value to yur network. U can't have a LAX network with out offering services to ORD, DEN, IAH, and IAD/ DCA / BWI etc. Sometimes u have to retain clients or be able to target new clients. Delta jumped into LAX- BOS even though it was a bloodbath but now offers a 2x daily service. Anyways, which routes can Delta offer ex - LAX that will enable their network?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:43 am

Also regarding prospective gates, doesn't Delta gets preferential use of some gates that were leased to Alaska at LAX? IIRC, they should be able to do this in 2016-2017.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767
you're an economist ... just come on out and say it

it's the battle between microeconomics and macroeconomics: despite the fact that a dozen or so vocal FTers would love to have service that better meets their needs/desires, why should that third carrier waste its resources chasing unprofitable objectives? plain and simple ... demand in these markets doesn't support a third carrier
Networks effects... A Delta LAX-ORD might bring some corporate contracts that also boost demand LAX-ATL, LAX-DTW, and the rest. DL operates on some routes where there are five carriers; three isn't necessarily indicative of an unprofitable market (or unprofitable network contribution).
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Networks effects... A Delta LAX-ORD might bring some corporate contracts that also boost demand LAX-ATL, LAX-DTW, and the rest. DL operates on some routes where there are five carriers; three isn't necessarily indicative of an unprofitable market (or unprofitable network contribution).
I fly ORD-LAX (originate in ORD) about once a month. If DL started this route I would move my biz on that route from AA in a heartbeat. Yes, there are five airlines on this route but three are LCCs (WN via MDW) and not airlines I would consider anyway (except maybe VX).

If DL wants to be a serious contender at LAX (and SEA for that matter) it has to offer flights to all major domestic markets.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:55 pm

LAX is listed as an official hub since August 2014 according to Delta MediaRoom Press kit.
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20309&cat=3191
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Windiesga
LAX is listed as an official hub since August 2014 according to Delta MediaRoom Press kit.
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20309&cat=3191
well, Boston is listed as well and this is clearly not a DL hub ... I think they call it 'focus city'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.