Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines (CI) advice?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Red face China Airlines (CI) advice?

Having scored two biz award tickets using Skymiles, we will be flying LAX-TPE-HKG round-trip in October. I read reviews that their 747-400 seats are old, not lie-flat. What about the in-flight service, food, etc.?

Any tips and advice to make our long flights more comfortable will be much appreciated.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:44 pm

I think the business class seating on the 3 class configuration are pod style seat with 160 degree angle.

it's not bad, but not the best in class by any means either.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:06 am

yeah those old 747 seats aren't too comfortable. service is nice though. they will be flying their brand new 777 in december.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
Having scored two biz award tickets using Skymiles, we will be flying LAX-TPE-HKG round-trip in October. I read reviews that their 747-400 seats are old, not lie-flat. What about the in-flight service, food, etc.?

Any tips and advice to make our long flights more comfortable will be much appreciated.
I did LAX to TPE in June in J on CI. I did upper deck out and main deck back. Upper deck preferable. They have those side cabinets you can put stuff in flight which is convenient.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
May be some Oxygen or a mask, especially if your a non smoker. It seems many pilots for the Chinese Airlines are chain smokers, and they smoke during the flights. YMMV
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craig44485
May be some Oxygen or a mask, especially if your a non smoker. It seems many pilots for the Chinese Airlines are chain smokers, and they smoke during the flights. YMMV
One of the weirdest posts.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by TerryK
Not entirely; I used to experience this on GA as well.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by TerryK
particularly, given that CI isn't actually, um, a Chinese airline...
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:49 am
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
CI food and service are fantastic, the flight attendants are very attentive and professional. Food is yummy, seats are comfy, not lie flat on that route though. It'll be a great ride, I hope you booked a stopover in Taipei because it's a great city.

The smoking thing is from someone who hasn't flown CI, I would be shocked to see anyone smoking on CI.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by craig44485
That only happens for China Eastern (frequently - as in most of the time, based on my first hand experience) and possibly China Southern, Shanghai Airlines and Xiamen Airlines (can't speak first hand experience for those).

So is never the case, to the best of my knowledge and based on my experience, on China Airlines.

It's two different worlds MU, CZ, FM and MF come from (China) vs. CI (Taiwan). (Guess which one is more civilized. And guess which country is trying hard to keep the other and its masses out of it and staging protests to keep it so.)

Originally Posted by Mdanner423
The smoking thing is from someone who hasn't flown CI, I would be shocked to see anyone smoking on CI.
+1000. I would very highly doubt it ever happens on CI. I am quite sure that if anyone tried to do so they'd be reported and would lose their job for breaking the Taiwanese laws and regulations. (Unlike on the Chinese airlines where it's the norm and socially acceptable, and where laws are not worth the paper they are written on.)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by koreanair720
particularly, given that CI isn't actually, um, a Chinese airline...
Depends on your point of view!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
I suppose from your point of view, CX is a Chinese airlines with chain smoking pilots.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
i know! as a pro-ROC guy, i cringed a little even as i wrote that...
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Former Diamond
Flying China Airlines is the worst experience I have ever had and I only took them once on that LAX-TPE route.

Rude flight attendants, old/disgusting plane, bad food, the list could go on.

Save yourself some sanity and do DL through Tokyo onto TPE and/or HKG
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by MrAAUGA
Flying China Airlines is the worst experience I have ever had and I only took them once on that LAX-TPE route.

Rude flight attendants, old/disgusting plane, bad food, the list could go on.

Save yourself some sanity and do DL through Tokyo onto TPE and/or HKG
CI is absolutely great, fun flight attendants, media selection is nice and they are one of the few ST partners that would greet you by name in flight if you have Delta status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.