Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Wanted First. Booked First. Not in First.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanted First. Booked First. Not in First.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by djk7
That's assuming first is fully booked already. Since the flights are still several months out, they might not be.

To the OP, is dl.com still selling FC on the flight you were downgraded on?
OP said this trip was over Xmas/NYE ... looking at returns from HNL on 1 Jan they are not selling F on either JFK or ATL, and the seat maps are all grey

Originally Posted by Beckles
I have a difficult time believing that DL swapped equipment over 3 months out on a flight that was already so heavily booked in a premium cabin that they had to downgrade customers ...

I don't doubt that an equipment swap occurred, I do doubt that they had to downgrade customers due to it.
it's quite possible that they hadn't sold out the 36F bird, but decided that there was more likelihood of doing so on another route
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM
Holidays in Hawaii are tough. Just yesterday, I wanted F, I was willing to pay F, but couldn't...already sold out to my island on my DAY from EVERYWHERE. Even AS was full....had to settle for a paid F ticket on UA (AA was even sold out - was putting me on US - no way). Re-accommodation is deserved, but may not be possible.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I wanted F, bought F but half my flights are on a CR2 for my trip over Thanksgiving week to BTM. But, I knew that going in. I can take an hour on a CR2 for the bonus miles. Plus, the flight was only $627 from MSP and I used PWM to knock it down to $327. I'm now less than 5K MQMs short of DM for next year with what I've flown and have booked.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Would Delta ever consider booking the OP on the United EWR-HNL in F (if there is space and DL cannot find F space on their own routes?)
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Would Delta ever consider booking the OP on the United EWR-HNL in F (if there is space and DL cannot find F space on their own routes?)
Ha! No way any airline would do that. The tickets are so far out that they are perfectly within their rights to simply refund them if OP cannot find any alternate routing to his satisfaction. Accommodation on other (non alliance) carriers typically only happens either due to day-of IRROPs or if service to a particular destination is discontinued entirely.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
esp since OP said this was an award ticket ...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by yohanson
I wanted F, bought F but half my flights are on a CR2 for my trip over Thanksgiving week to BTM. But, I knew that going in. I can take an hour on a CR2 for the bonus miles. Plus, the flight was only $627 from MSP and I used PWM to knock it down to $327. I'm now less than 5K MQMs short of DM for next year with what I've flown and have booked.
Ok?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
I have a difficult time believing that DL swapped equipment over 3 months out on a flight that was already so heavily booked in a premium cabin that they had to downgrade customers ...

I don't doubt that an equipment swap occurred, I do doubt that they had to downgrade customers due to it.
The JFK-HNL HNL-JFK nonstops that only operate around the holidays have been full in first for awhile. I tried looking at one two months ago and nothing in first for a paid ticket. These flights only operate around the holidays each year, and generally fill up as soon as they're announced. They all of course operate on 767s, which mean they can end up getting different size cabins.

IMO I would ask to be sent HNL-LAX-JFK and getting the Premium LAX-JFK flight on the way back. Yes it leaves 5 hours on a 757 to LAX, but then from LAX you can get either a 757/767 with BE service and lie-flat for the flight to JFK. You booked first, thus even if there's no saver levels on the LAX routing they should be able to book it for you since you're getting re-routed because of DL downgrading a/c to smaller BE cabin.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
quite frankly...who cares. If I booked a First seat, I should be accomodated there. And if they cannot they definitely should reach out to you, not just change your seat.

OP: If there are any FC seats on that flight, obviously demand that. If not, put up a stink, but have an alternative that you want. A supervisor should grant you just about anything reasonable in this case
+1. It shouldn't matter if a pax uses miles or pays with $$. Either way it is out of pocket compensation from the pax, and DL owes it to the pax to put them in that class of service or offer something better (or close to it).
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
OP said DL CSR's rationale was "equipment swap"

OP is a PM, and is justifiably PO'd that DL (1) downgraded an award ticket with no notification and (2) didn't proactively accommodate

36J --> 26J means nine other folks who booked up front aren't going to ride up front on the flight they booked either
It's not obvious to me that the flight was already sold out in FC.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Update

Thanks for all the advice. I'm on an iPad now. But, briefly, my recollection was that I booked a 767-400 in both directions, but I can't be sure. I booked back in April. All I know is that it was originally a 767-something with lie flats and was subsequently swapped to a 767 with fewer lie flats, bumping me and my companion to economy. The flight is completely sold out in first now, I was told it is actually oversold in first.

I was told I could switch to any other flight with two seats for sale. My first few choices (including routing through LAX to JFK for the BE equipped aircraft) were no-goes even though they were being offered for sale on DL.com. CSR stated they were actually sold out too and if tried to purchase online, the sale wouldn't go through.

I ended up having to switch to a flight leaving the next day. Since that entails missing my separately booked flight home from JFK, the CSR added in the leg (in first, no less) onto the award which was great and an improvement over my own booking.

The new flight home is a step down in terms of aircraft, flight time, stops and duration, but staying in HNL an extra day is actually nice even though it will come at some significant out of pocket cost. I have to add on an extra day to the car rental and rates have skyrocketed. The hotel I'm booked at is sold out for the extra night and other hotels are pricing through the roof. And this is my primary complaint with DL's handling of this situation. If DL had simply contacted me when the swap happened (which apparently was several weeks or months ago), many other options would have been available. Either a flight home that didn't involve an extra night or cheaper car/hotel options for that added night.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Holidays in Hawaii are tough. Just yesterday, I wanted F, I was willing to pay F, but couldn't...already sold out to my island on my DAY from EVERYWHERE. Even AS was full....had to settle for a paid F ticket on UA (AA was even sold out - was putting me on US - no way). Re-accommodation is deserved, but may not be possible.
Wait!?! Does this mean I may have a chance to spend Xmas in Hawaii with the infamous bubbashow?!? It's a Christmas miracle!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
but staying in HNL an extra day is actually nice even though it will come at some significant out of pocket cost. I have to add on an extra day to the car rental and rates have skyrocketed. The hotel I'm booked at is sold out for the extra night and other hotels are pricing through the roof.
I would focus on this and escalate it. Delta should pay for your hotel that night, . Same with car rental. Was any compensation offered?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Also, just checked those routes and noticed that both first and coach are listed as "no meal service." Its 12 hours westbound. I'm sure there is a meal served in first, but it's actually possible that coach would be a 12 hour flight with only food for sale. This makes a potential downgrade even more serious. On a side note, I really hope they feed those coach pax!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I would focus on this and escalate it. Delta should pay for your hotel that night, . Same with car rental. Was any compensation offered?
DL's not going to pay for incidental charges (hotel, car, etc.) for a schedule change that occurred more than 90 days in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.