Search

Miles with Travelocity only 25%?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,EK
Miles with Travelocity only 25%?

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ion-fares.html

Says fares booked in X only earn 25% miles.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html

Says fares booked in X earn 100% miles.

I am booking via Travelocity since Delta.com will not include an Alaska/Horizon segment even booking specific city pairs.

So how many miles do I get for:

Portland (PDX) to Amsterdam (AMS)
Delta 178
Economy / Coach (X)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:49 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
You can get Delta to include the AS segments by calling and requesting the specific flights. That way you will be sure in your mileage earning. Or you can try using this method of getting Delta.com to price and book it for you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...gs-006-dl.html

The Travelocity fare may be a consolidator or it may not, it is hard to tell without the fare basis and designator on the fare.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yes call them and tell them the Alaska flight you want and they will book the trip for you. I fly out of a small airport in Oregon and have to do this all the time. For some reason a bunch of the Alaska flights do not show up at Delta.com. It has always been very easy to do. Good luck.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
The Travelocity fare may be a consolidator or it may not, it is hard to tell without the fare basis and designator on the fare.
Is there a way to find out before ticketing… they only show Class (X).
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Is there a way to find out before ticketing… they only show Class (X).
As other posters indicate, the best solution is to call DL.
If you still prefer travelocity, since it offers free cancellation within 24 hours (if I remember correctly), you can book the ticket, and then determine whether it qualifies for 100% accrual.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of the the consolidator fares seem to involve package hotel deals. I think a lot of concerns about third party booking sites tend to be overblown. If it prices out the same on Matrix, I believe that indicates it's a published fare and you shouldn't have issues with full credit. I've booked mixed fares on Orbitz several times and have never had an issue with getting full credit.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:18 am
Original Poster

For my dates, travelocity does a fare RNO-PRG roundtrip for $1300 using Alaska, Delta, KLM and Czech.

I can't get DL to price the same and when I call them and give them the same flight numbers, they come up with $2500 for that trip. So is this a consolidator fare? I do see a similar fare on Matrix….

Fare 1: Carrier KL RKXP58US RNO to PRG (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code R, L
Covers RNO-SEA (Economy), SEA-AMS (Economy), AMS-PRG (Economy)
$291.50

Fare 2: Carrier DL XKXP58US PRG to RNO (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code Q, X, G
Covers PRG-CDG (Economy), CDG-SEA (Economy), SEA-RNO (Economy)

Last edited by DesertNomad; Sep 1, 2014 at 6:29 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
For my dates, travelocity does a fare RNO-PRG roundtrip for $1300 using Alaska, Delta, KLM and Czech.

I can't get DL to price the same and when I call them and give them the same flight numbers, they come up with $2500 for that trip. So is this a consolidator fare?
book it. Then check the ticket on Delta.com and ensure there is no ticket designator attached e.g. TX5213D33/HUAUP if you got a ticket designator attached then likely it is a consolidator fare, although unlikely IMO in this market. You can also check the base fare and if this matches a published DL fare by the penny then you should be o.k.
Post the fare basis and someone can look it up.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Matrix does not show any connections via PDX, but travelocity, expedia and orbitz all do. (eg RNO-PDX-AMS-PRG)
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:36 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Matrix does not show any connections via PDX, but travelocity, expedia and orbitz all do. (eg RNO-PDX-AMS-PRG)
Can you post dates (or PM)? The OTAs may be splitting the fares but I am surprised ITA isn't offering it as at least Orbitz uses ITA as their back-end.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Sep 24 RNO-PRG / Oct 28 PRG-RNO

Travelocity and Expedia list for $1309.89:

RNO-PDX AS2150 - R
PDX-AMS DL178 - X
AMS-PRG DL9533 - X

PRG-AMS OK616 - S
AMS-SEA KL6033 - R
SEA-RNO KL9620 - R

ITA lists $1308.40:

RNO-SEA KL9694 - R KL RKXP58US
SEA-AMS KL6163 - R
AMS-PRG KL1357 - L

PRG-CDG OK758 - Q DL XKXP58US
CDG-SEA DL33 - X
SEA-RNO AS2255 - G

DL and KL sites are both over $1600.

If I call DL and give them the fare codes, can they book it if ITA/Matrix show it listed?

I live between RNO and PRG and do this trip several times a year - it is always a hassle when it involves AS or OK since DL can't seem to handle those at all - DL usually has to call Alaska and I spend an hour or two booking on the phone. It was much better when DL flew RNO-ATL-PRG on their metal.

Last edited by DesertNomad; Sep 1, 2014 at 7:53 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Most of the the consolidator fares seem to involve package hotel deals. I think a lot of concerns about third party booking sites tend to be overblown. If it prices out the same on Matrix, I believe that indicates it's a published fare and you shouldn't have issues with full credit.
Thank you for the reference to Matrix! I had forgotten about that. Delta was able to ticket it over the phone except they could not do a Czech Airlines flight as a DL flight number (even though Matrix listed it). They did do it as an OK number which changed the price slightly but still vastly better than the delta.dumb website.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:53 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the reference to Matrix! I had forgotten about that. Delta was able to ticket it over the phone except they could not do a Czech Airlines flight as a DL flight number (even though Matrix listed it). They did do it as an OK number which changed the price slightly but still vastly better than the delta.dumb website.
Glad you got it to book. I have struggled with getting ITA fares to price the same on Delta recently.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM or DM for 24 years, SkyClub: Lifetime, Delta Million Miler
I was trying to book a KLM flight with Delta.com or by calling Delta (SIN - DPS), but Delta told me they don't show the flight and they can't book it. So I checked on KLM.com to book it there but encountered a Credit Card Fee that I generally don't want to pay. So I checked on Travelocity and it showed the same price as KLM.com but no CC fee.

So I booked it on Travelocity and ended up getting a 006 ticket number and my Credit Card showed the charge as being from Delta. Even though it is a 006 ticket number I can not add the ticket to "MY DELTA" on Delta's website and now I am wondering if I even get full miles. It does show up on the KLM website as a KLM "N" fare which should get 100%

I am a bit puzzled how the seamless booking and travel for Delta/KLM/Air France is not seamless at all.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:14 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by renhelm
I am a bit puzzled how the seamless booking and travel for Delta/KLM/Air France is not seamless at all.
Who ever said it's seamless?

Just a side note, that, KL had a much closer to "seamless" experience with NW, before the merger. It wasn't perfect, but it was WAY better than it is now, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.