help me understand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

help me understand

what does class RU mean ?

what does class V mean? delta flights.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by brooks49
what does class RU mean ?

what does class V mean? delta flights.
I think RU means revenue upgrade.
V Class is discounted economy.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
help me understand

In the past V was the upgrade class which has now been replaced by RU. V is now the second-lowest economy fare and lowest "normal" fare, outranking only E fares which have severe restrictions including no advance seat selection. FWIW, I try to avoid buying anything above V for personal travel.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes, RU is the designation you'd see in your itinerary/ticket if you get a complimentary medallion upgrade.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by donnak
I think RU means revenue upgrade.
V Class is discounted economy.
I wouldn't call it revenue upgrade unless you also call RP revenue upgrade.

In both cases you purchase a coach ticket with money and upgrade it.

RP (think SkyPesos to remember this) means that it was an upgrade supported with instruments: miles, old SWUs, or new RUCs/GUCs.

RU means a free upgrade for elites and their companions where allowed.

RP and RU are different inventory classes which are combined into a single priority wait list at the gate.

BTW, award tickets (paid with miles but also money for taxes and fees) are also considered to be revenue tickets.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
RP: really posh. It means you were meant to get champagne and caviar on board. If not, NRSAs and crew must have saved it for themselves. ;-)
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't call it revenue upgrade unless you also call RP revenue upgrade.

In both cases you purchase a coach ticket with money and upgrade it.

RP (think SkyPesos to remember this) means that it was an upgrade supported with instruments: miles, old SWUs, or new RUCs/GUCs.

RU means a free upgrade for elites and their companions where allowed.

RP and RU are different inventory classes which are combined into a single priority wait list at the gate.

BTW, award tickets (paid with miles but also money for taxes and fees) are also considered to be revenue tickets.
That was way too complicated.

RU - Revenue unlimited (complimentary upgrades)

RP - Revenue Paid

And yes, on an award ticket, you are above a non-revenue passenger. But just barely.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
That was way too complicated.

RU - Revenue unlimited (complimentary upgrades)

RP - Revenue Paid

And yes, on an award ticket, you are above a non-revenue passenger. But just barely.
You are at the bottom of the list for your status. A DM on an award ticket is above a PM on a paid ticket other than full fare Y or RUC medallion user.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bicostal
You are at the bottom of the list for your status. A DM on an award ticket is above a PM on a paid ticket other than full fare Y or RUC medallion user.
Be careful about those RUCs and also GUCs, SWUs, and upgrades with miles. Before the gate, these upgrades all come from a totally different upgrade inventory bucket than free elite upgrades, including those from full Y fares and award tickets. So you can't say how a GUC priority compares to full Y etc. before the gate as they're just not competing for the same thing or on the same priority list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.