Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade with Miles Tickets - Receipt Reflects Y or F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum

Was just curious, if anyone has booked an "upgrade with miles" ticket and what the final receipt looks like...

I see when I price out Y fares that the option shows up. If you click on it, it changes the class of service to F and shows the price plus miles. If you actually book it, does it show the Y class for the fare on the receipt or just shows F.

Booking some future flights that get reimbursed for Y, but not F and do not want to jeapordize my reimbursement.

I also assume the upgrade with miles option is not available after booking. I do not see it as an option on any of my other bookings.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It will show the first class fare. You are essentially buying the first class fare, and paying for what the coach portion would have cost using cash, and the difference using miles.

No, the upgrade with miles button is not available after booking. In many cases you can still upgrade with cash after booking, but not miles.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: Dl mm (Gold), Marriott Patinum, UA Silver
Upgraded receipts

My itinerary for such flights shows :First, RP and my receipt shows: Open RP So while the receipt doesn't show first class, it doesn't show coach, either. If you BUY the upgrade, both the receipt and itinerary shows First.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by leew
My itinerary for such flights shows :First, RP and my receipt shows: Open RP So while the receipt doesn't show first class, it doesn't show coach, either. If you BUY the upgrade, both the receipt and itinerary shows First.
RP is a first class inventory bucket, specifically for upgrades into FC using instruments: miles, SWUs or RUCs/GUCs. Elsewhere down in the fare construction you *should* be able to see the original coach fare construction.

However I'm surprised that these things, where you use pay with miles for the fare difference rather than paying the fixed number of miles for the upgrade from the charts, book into RP and not G A P. I had thought that a major advantage was that upgrade inventory is not required for this method.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
RP is a first class inventory bucket, specifically for upgrades into FC using instruments: miles, SWUs or RUCs/GUCs. Elsewhere down in the fare construction you *should* be able to see the original coach fare construction.

However I'm surprised that these things, where you use pay with miles for the fare difference rather than paying the fixed number of miles for the upgrade from the charts, book into RP and not G A P. I had thought that a major advantage was that upgrade inventory is not required for this method.
I am surprised also. leew, are you referring to tickets for which you paid economy K class or higher, and then used (typically 12,500) miles to do a plain old SkyMiles upgrade? Or are you referring to tickets where you have checked the box during the checkout process to "upgrade with miles" where the price is identical to the cash buy-up at a rate of $0.01 per mile?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:10 pm

I haven't used the upgrade with miles on the website, I'll have to give that a shot... I usually call DL to make the reservations where I want to upgrade with SM and the tickets/receipt have shown "K/OP" (or whatever fare you're booked into).
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GoCanes
Was just curious, if anyone has booked an "upgrade with miles" ticket and what the final receipt looks like...

I see when I price out Y fares that the option shows up. If you click on it, it changes the class of service to F and shows the price plus miles. If you actually book it, does it show the Y class for the fare on the receipt or just shows F.

Booking some future flights that get reimbursed for Y, but not F and do not want to jeapordize my reimbursement.

I also assume the upgrade with miles option is not available after booking. I do not see it as an option on any of my other bookings.
The receipt will show the class of service for the flight in F as it should.

However farther down the receipt in the details section it will show the actual fare basis you paid for the flights. This is what will tell them what you actually paid.

Also note that sometimes you can get 1)an economy ticket that books into First class or 2)A non-refundable/restricted actual First class ticket for less then the cost of Y.

I know of no company that begrudges you flying in first IF it costs LESS then Y. In the case of number one it will actually show as an economy class ticket in the fare details section. Number 2 will of course show as first class in the fare details section, however if it's less then Y get a print out of the Y fare from DL to attach showing you saved the company money. Most times you can get them side by side on the same screen print out.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I know of no company that begrudges you flying in first IF it costs LESS then Y.
Another thread has listed several that do so for various reasons.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Dl mm (Gold), Marriott Patinum, UA Silver
Upgrading with miles

FWIW, the ticket receipts I was referencing were (Hawaii) flights puchased in M (not sure) and upgraded under old upgrade structure, thus the RP class, I guess. In any case, I can't find any actual reference to the purchased class on my receipt, and I haven't booked any tickets using the new upgrades that are based on revenue. So, the OP's situation may be different.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, the ticket receipts I was referencing were (Hawaii) flights puchased in M (not sure) and upgraded under old upgrade structure, thus the RP class, I guess. In any case, I can't find any actual reference to the purchased class on my receipt, and I haven't booked any tickets using the new upgrades that are based on revenue. So, the OP's situation may be different.
Yes, that is a plain old SkyMiles upgrade, and would certainly be M upgraded into RP. This is a different program.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
My employer bans F tickets, even if thy are cheaper. But, sometimes I buy the Y ticket, get the receipt, then cancel within 24 h and buy the F ticket, and cover the difference on my dime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.