Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paid extra for nonstop. Delta changed it to a one-stop.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Reluctant Delta Loyalist

I'm heading to Dublin in a couple of months for an anniversary trip. We paid a little extra for a non-stop r/t flight ATL-DUB in EC. A month or so after the ticket purchase, I logged into my DL account to find that they'd cancelled our original flight and we're now on a flight that includes a stop in JFK and tacks about 3 hours onto our travel time each way. (This trip is in December, and I'm terrified of stopping over in JFK due to possible weather problems - another reason why we didn't want to have a layover.)

I know DL is completely within its right to change itineraries and cancel flights, but do you think I'm entitled to anything at all since I originally paid more to get on a non-stop flight? Probably not, but was wondering if anyone had similar issues previously.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Likely your only recourse is to take a full refund, which assuming you'd still like to take the trip would only be useful if you can get new tickets for less money.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I'm assuming the addition of the stop in JFK added more than an hour to your schedule. As such, you should figure out how want to get there and call and ask for that routing (CDG and AMS look like the obvious alternatives). Otherwise I believe you could request a refund.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:28 pm

<previous poster beat me too it>

Last edited by kop84; Aug 27, 2014 at 12:29 pm Reason: redundant
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Beckles
Likely your only recourse is to take a full refund, which assuming you'd still like to take the trip would only be useful if you can get new tickets for less money.
Unless you want your money back, call DL Customer Service and ask Delta to re-route you on the ATL-CDG and CDG-DUB flights and back DUB-CDG-ATL.

This should be an easy fix given the changed flight itinerary.

Originally Posted by TTT
I would suggest CDG instead as KL no longer flies AMS-DUB.
Thanks for the correction. Have updated my post.

Last edited by dd1612; Aug 27, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:43 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dd1612
Unless you want your money back, call DL Customer Service and ask Delta to re-route you on the ATL-AMS and AMS-DUB flights and back DUB-AMS-ATL.

This should be an easy fix given the changed flight itinerary.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I'm assuming the addition of the stop in JFK added more than an hour to your schedule. As such, you should figure out how want to get there and call and ask for that routing (CDG and AMS look like the obvious alternatives).
Adding a stop (from non-stop to direct, or from direct to a connection) triggers the DOT refund guidance. No specific length of travel duration increase is needed to give the OP a right of refund. If there's nothing cheaper or more convenient to be had, the OP can travel as rebooked.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by JourneysBeginning
I'm heading to Dublin in a couple of months for an anniversary trip. We paid a little extra for a non-stop r/t flight ATL-DUB in EC. A month or so after the ticket purchase, I logged into my DL account to find that they'd cancelled our original flight and we're now on a flight that includes a stop in JFK and tacks about 3 hours onto our travel time each way. (This trip is in December, and I'm terrified of stopping over in JFK due to possible weather problems - another reason why we didn't want to have a layover.)

I know DL is completely within its right to change itineraries and cancel flights, but do you think I'm entitled to anything at all since I originally paid more to get on a non-stop flight? Probably not, but was wondering if anyone had similar issues previously.
Hmm...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Reluctant Delta Loyalist
Originally Posted by TTT
If I ask for a re-route via CDG, since I paid for EC seats, do you think they'd automatically place us in premium voyageur if I get placed on an AF flight or do you think that's another can o' worms all together?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:58 pm

You would have to pay for your own hotel room, but you may ask to go a day early into NYC and take the nonstop JFK DUB. Just a thought.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
If I ask for a re-route via CDG, since I paid for EC seats, do you think they'd automatically place us in premium voyageur if I get placed on an AF flight or do you think that's another can o' worms all together?
No. Premium Economy is a completely different class of service. Service and price wise, it isn't close to EC.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
(This trip is in December, and I'm terrified of stopping over in JFK due to possible weather problems - another reason why we didn't want to have a layover.)
Well it is sharknado season, so you should be terrified.

Actually, December is usually pretty calm, weather wise. Big snow storms, which are rare, tend to be closer to February.

That said, I'd much rather fly ATL-CDG-DUB than ATL-JFK-DUB. Longer international flight, and if you're STE+ you'll get lounge access on the return. Plus you'll probably get to fly the Avro RJ-85 into DUB!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Beckles
That *might* be possible as the OP paid more for a non-stop. It might be that the refund will be greater than the current going price of a one-stop flight.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by bennos
That said, I'd much rather fly ATL-CDG-DUB than ATL-JFK-DUB. Longer international flight, and if you're STE+ you'll get lounge access on the return. Plus you'll probably get to fly the Avro RJ-85 into DUB!
-1. I'd much rather connect in JFK than CDG (but I'd prefer AMS over either of those 2). Also the RJ-85 is another reason to avoid that routing.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Originally Posted by HDQDD
-1. I'd much rather connect in JFK than CDG (but I'd prefer AMS over either of those 2). Also the RJ-85 is another reason to avoid that routing.
Seconded. Since DUB has preclearance, your transfer at JFK will be treated as a domestic flight. If you were flying from anywhere else, I'd recommend doing the transfer before reentering the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.