Delta hiring 1,800 flight attendants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Smile Delta hiring 1,800 flight attendants

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/del...tlink_homepage
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Delta Air Lines plans to hire at least 1,800 flight attendants as it plans for growth
Growth? Where?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Growth? Where?
PNW
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
I suspect this is probably because they are using the mainline 717 to replace the regionals on a number of routes and need the FAs to staff them
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GNVFlyer
I suspect this is probably because they are using the mainline 717 to replace the regionals on a number of routes and need the FAs to staff them
Agreed. Would not be surprised if the end up hiring a lot of the FA's from the regional airlines who have basically been working as Delta FA's already.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
I would be surprised if they simply hire the herd of regional airline FAs. Normally, I see a real difference in customer service competence between mainline DL staff and those on the contract carriers. (I'm not in a position to comment on the relative safety and emergency capabilities).
This will be an important hiring class for Delta. The last number I saw put the mean age of flight attendants in the US at 48. So, this new group will represent the future of cabin service. Maybe Delta is like me - I'd rather hire and train new minds instead of breaking habits and reforming people with other experiences.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta is probably more careful to avoid expressions of ageism in its hiring practices.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star®, & Rapid Rewards
My guess is that Delta has been slowly moving away from smaller contract carriers like Sky West, and replacing those routes with their own small-medium aircraft. I heard they were having trouble with those carriers being reliable, and the purchase of SW aircraft were going to be used to replace some of those routes at less cost, more reliability, and in house.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star®, & Rapid Rewards
I think they are also expanding their international presence. Many of those jobs are for a variety of spoken languages.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta is probably more careful to avoid expressions of ageism in its hiring practices.
I know of a number of 50+ individuals have been hired as FAs in the last 5-6 years, I'd have a hard time imagining them have any issues in that regard (ageism). If you are 50+ and can fluently speak a language other than English they will definitely give you every opportunity to score a job.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I know of a number of 50+ individuals have been hired as FAs in the last 5-6 years, I'd have a hard time imagining them have any issues in that regard (ageism). If you are 50+ and can fluently speak a language other than English they will definitely give you every opportunity to score a job.
+1

I think we should show this thread to all the high schoolers that complain about taking a foreign language - this is your meal ticket, kids!

I also really like the service of the veteran FA's, so I hope this doesn't mean there will be any inconvenience to those that have been serving DL/NW for so many years.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by ChimarraoMate
My guess is that Delta has been slowly moving away from smaller contract carriers like Sky West, and replacing those routes with their own small-medium aircraft. I heard they were having trouble with those carriers being reliable, and the purchase of SW aircraft were going to be used to replace some of those routes at less cost, more reliability, and in house.
A lot of those carriers are having a harder time getting enough pilots after the FAA rule changes earlier this year. It makes sense to bring some of this in house with bigger planes (cutting back on frequency, thus reducing the demand on crews).

1800 FAs does seem like a LOT of projected growth (and/or retirements) though.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
+1

I think we should show this thread to all the high schoolers that complain about taking a foreign language - this is your meal ticket, kids!

I also really like the service of the veteran FA's, so I hope this doesn't mean there will be any inconvenience to those that have been serving DL/NW for so many years.
Absolutely +1 ^
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, I always had the impression that one reason for outsourcing to the DLConnection carriers was to lower labor costs since those employees are generally on different pay scales and don't receive the same level of employee benefits that DL (mainline) employees do.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Perhaps it will offset some of the losses over at CNN. Imagine, Wolf Blitzer could be your next FA.
http://www.ajc.com/news/business/tur...uts-lay/ng8g5/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.