Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I think I am ready to give up on LGA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Not only FCM, but also IROPS accomodation, as pointed out above. Given that I'm taking advantage of FCM more and more, I'm quite alright with them holding back upgrades so that if I do get IROPed, I have a better chance of being re-accomodated in FC.
I agree, we flew as a family not to long ago and had 4 seats in F. When we had some issues it was next to impossible to rebook us in F. I can see DL holding even more seats back in the future.

Last edited by troyintn; Jul 29, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
At least the A320 is going back up to 16 FC seats.
That is going to be a great plane for everyone (except the flight attendants) when the mods are done.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
+1, particularly to the bolded statements
My employer (USG) doesn't permit me to buy FC fares. So if I travel for work and happen to be on DL, my only option is to play upgrade roulette. If it clears, great. If not, oh well.

And if DL doesn't offer what you want, vote with your wallet and fly another carrier. DL's lack of "Upgrade with Miles" availability on a trip I'm taking from SEA to Florida is why I booked AA.

Not only FCM, but also IROPS accomodation, as pointed out above. Given that I'm taking advantage of FCM more and more, I'm quite alright with them holding back upgrades so that if I do get IROPed, I have a better chance of being re-accomodated in FC.
I agree to vote with your wallet, especially if you live in NYC and have a choice of carriers. I would switch to AA if I lived in NYC, they still have a lot of LGA flights and a lot of JFK flights. two guys in our Burbank office made the switch when Delta jumped the gun too early and eliminated JFK/LAX upgrades (they should have tested out the current policy of only upgrading DM's and PM's on paid fares first but too late now for people who jumped ship).

If someone wants to pay to upgrade to first all they have to do is call Delta and provide a credit card number for the different in fare.

I have mixed feelings about holding too many upgrades back. If you are number 3 for three empty seats on the upgrade list for a four to five hour flight and the GA clears the list during zone 1 boarding and for some reason you don't get the upgrade, means no time to grab something in the concourse and if you get the bulkhead it can be a pain finding bin space (although the FA's are usually good about putting a bag in the closet). On the other hand I have received two upgrades in the past three weeks where I would have been in the back otherwise. Both were pretty long flights and since my upgrades didn't look good, I did SB on both. Seeing the GA's are holding seats back till t-30 on both those flights they cleared the SB list before the upgrade list. The one time the GA put me right into first since there were 3 seats and she said no diamonds on the list. The other time there was one seat and she said there were 2 golds and the rest were FO's on the upgrade list, so apparently GM's and higher must have cleared at the window and she cleared the SB list and I had to go on the upgrade list and got the upgrade. In the first case a PM would have gotten upgraded over me and my flight the other day a GM or FO would have gotten upgraded over me, so holding back upgrades is a benefit for higher level elites who fly SB.

Both
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
The final insult by DL was a flight Sunday LGA-MSP, using a SWU with 3 open seats at T3 sat in the back. Every flight I have out of LGA the segments not to/from LGA clear at window and the others always go BF and are 50/50 at best.

Add the fact that the parking is a mess now and HPN has pre check I think I am going to avoid that dump LGA. My return flight has 8 open seats in F and still it is going BF.
Just curious if the SWU was about to expire. I live in MSP and would never use a SWU on that short of a flight. It's only a 2 1/2 hour flight. Or is EWR/MSP an option? I always clear on that route and am 90% on LGA/msp. It isn't just MSP flights they are holding back.

And as mentioned above holding back upgrades does have advantages for diamonds if you SB. When they hold the upgrades back and clear the SB list you have a decent chance at the upgrade if there are seats upfront than if they clear lower elites or diamonds on a lower fare at the window
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
If you're ex NYC you have a number of airlines to choose from. If DL isn't cutting it switch. Send DL copies of the receipts of travel and send them a note why you switched. So long as folks put up with FCM and quip want first buy first this will be your reality.

I only fly F/J so the changes are generally in my favor, but the status program gives me few reasons to fly DL. I fly DL when it's a competitive fare. Sometimes that's DL, a lot of the time it ends up being AA.
+1. Delta changed the policy on no upgrades on JFK to LAX flights. Enough people must have jumped ship seeing they are now giving the upgrades again to PM's and DM's on a paid fare. I don't take this route, but I think it was a very reasonable compromise on Delta's part
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
But he said he was trying to use a SWU, a perk DL gave him. And he sat in the back with empty seats up front. That means the SWU processing didn't work properly as he should have been close to #1 on the UG list and should have cleared if there were empty seats in F.

Why anyone would waste a SWU LGA-MSP is beyond me, but it's his to use as he pleases, and DL screwed him in a situation where he should have been able to use it.
I thought the OP meant there were three empty seats at t-3 but F went out full, if F went out with 3 empty seats I would have been demanding to speak to a red coat if the door hadn't closed yet or be on the phone with the diamond desk the second the plane hit the ground at MSP.

If FC went out with all sold seats there was nothing the OP could do about it. If there was even one empty seat up front, it should have gone to the OP-I can't imagine there would have been anyone else using an SWU on that route unless they were connecting at MSP. There have been numerous complaints about the diamond and PM desks not coding SWU's right. If I'm not #1 or 2 on the upgrade list I am on the phone with the diamond desk and usually it's because it wasn't coded right and they undo the check in and code it correctly and then I move up to #1 on the list
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
the parking is really out of control. I solved the issue by paying ANOTHER $5 (on top of the $33) to reserve a spot, but the problem is that only works for planned trips. If you're trying to fly out in the next couple days, there are no reserved spots available.
I did the same thing
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Just curious if the SWU was about to expire. I live in MSP and would never use a SWU on that short of a flight. It's only a 2 1/2 hour flight. Or is EWR/MSP an option? I always clear on that route and am 90% on LGA/msp. It isn't just MSP flights they are holding back.

And as mentioned above holding back upgrades does have advantages for diamonds if you SB. When they hold the upgrades back and clear the SB list you have a decent chance at the upgrade if there are seats upfront than if they clear lower elites or diamonds on a lower fare at the window
Who said MSP was my final destination. But the irk is that I would have been upgraded on the second leg anyway and used the SWU to confirm the LGA leg and this is the third time that has not worked.

No matter my flight next week out of HPN upgraded at the window
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

I thought the OP meant there were three empty seats at t-3 but F went out full, if F went out with 3 empty seats I would have been demanding to speak to a red coat if the door hadn't closed yet or be on the phone with the diamond desk the second the plane hit the ground at MSP.

If FC went out with all sold seats there was nothing the OP could do about it. If there was even one empty seat up front, it should have gone to the OP-I can't imagine there would have been anyone else using an SWU on that route unless they were connecting at MSP. There have been numerous complaints about the diamond and PM desks not coding SWU's right. If I'm not #1 or 2 on the upgrade list I am on the phone with the diamond desk and usually it's because it wasn't coded right and they undo the check in and code it correctly and then I move up to #1 on the list
By 30 mins before boarding F had checked in full, here is an ironic part. I sat in my bulkhead seat and 2 mins before departure this old lady in 1D suddenly decides she wants to sit with her husband, so she slowly strolls back near the exit rows, I could see the GA trying to get the issue resolved so she just gave her seat to the person sitting next to her husband

Last edited by BusTrav8yrs; Jul 29, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
LGA...

Ah, LGA, how we love you and how we despise you...

Even with all its warts and indignities it's still my airport of choice (I live in Brooklyn).

Yet every time I get there I am reminded of Vice President Biden's comment that it feels like being at a third-world airport (actually I take exception with that comment because the only place nowadays you are likely to come across an airport like LGA is in the First World).

In any case, in order to deal with LGA you have to have a system. I almost never drive because of the parking. The car service from Brooklyn is affordable. TSA pre-check is huge.

Regarding upgrades I began the year as a lowly FO so I had zero expectations and yet I was upgraded on 6 out of 8 LGA segments. All BF, of course.

I can't remember the last time I had an IrrOps or even a delay at LGA. Lucky? I recently flew LGA-DFW and the captain told us there would be a 45-min taxi delay. Yet 5 minutes later we were airborne.

My biggest gripe, in the end, is the stifling overcrowding at Terminal D. It's an okay facility, but anything that crowded is unpleasant.

Actually, I like Terminal C better. For some reason it's much less crowded, or at least feels less crowded. And then there is the Marine Air Terminal. Sure, it isn't much more than a glorified construction trailer, but boy is it clean and tidy, never crowded.

And, in the end, whenever I start to feel negative about "Le Garbage" (ha ha) I need only think briefly of the Delta Connection RJ hell at JFK T2 and then I realize how much worse it could be...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
It might be a crappy system but it is what it is. It was the same at my former company: Concur and company credit card only.
Same here at my Fortune 100 company.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If brettalb's upgrades are exceptions, then the colleagues aren't getting any or many upgrades.
That makes no sense. His colleagues could still be getting upgrades, which are all also flagged as exceptions but understandable ones. That was quite a jump in logic.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Same here at my Fortune 100 company.
Trust me, it's definitely not that same at all Fortune 100 companies, to the extent that it doesn't really make sense to single them out as Fortune 100.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
I agree to vote with your wallet, especially if you live in NYC and have a choice of carriers. I would switch to AA if I lived in NYC, they still have a lot of LGA flights and a lot of JFK flights. two guys in our Burbank office made the switch when Delta jumped the gun too early and eliminated JFK/LAX upgrades (they should have tested out the current policy of only upgrading DM's and PM's on paid fares first but too late now for people who jumped ship).

If someone wants to pay to upgrade to first all they have to do is call Delta and provide a credit card number for the different in fare.

I have mixed feelings about holding too many upgrades back. If you are number 3 for three empty seats on the upgrade list for a four to five hour flight and the GA clears the list during zone 1 boarding and for some reason you don't get the upgrade, means no time to grab something in the concourse and if you get the bulkhead it can be a pain finding bin space (although the FA's are usually good about putting a bag in the closet). On the other hand I have received two upgrades in the past three weeks where I would have been in the back otherwise. Both were pretty long flights and since my upgrades didn't look good, I did SB on both. Seeing the GA's are holding seats back till t-30 on both those flights they cleared the SB list before the upgrade list. The one time the GA put me right into first since there were 3 seats and she said no diamonds on the list. The other time there was one seat and she said there were 2 golds and the rest were FO's on the upgrade list, so apparently GM's and higher must have cleared at the window and she cleared the SB list and I had to go on the upgrade list and got the upgrade. In the first case a PM would have gotten upgraded over me and my flight the other day a GM or FO would have gotten upgraded over me, so holding back upgrades is a benefit for higher level elites who fly SB.

Both
Kinda being serious, kinda being funny - I think it really depends on where you are at a given time. If you're in paid F and experiencing IROPS, and can't get reacomodated in FC because of all the UGs, your thought process is probably "Stupid upgrades!" but if you're not in paid FC and your UG clears at the window (I know, more and more rare these days), you're thought process is probably "YES! Love those upgrades! " I admit, I'm biased depending on what side of the fence I'm on at any given time.

Originally Posted by troyintn
I agree, we flew as a family not to long ago and had 4 seats in F. When we had some issues it was next to impossible to rebook us in F. I can see DL holding even more seats back in the future.
Yea my wife and I ran into that on our honeymoon (this was on AA, not DL). We flew through DFW and our flight to HNL was canceled; we were rebooked on the later flight but moved to Coach (middle seats in seperate parts of the plane). Fortunately AA is (or at least was) better about reacommodating on other carriers, and after throwing out several options to find one with FC availability, we got rebooked through a west coast city (AA from DFW to the west coast, then Hawaiian to HNL) but our delay in DFW went from 6 or 7 hours to closer to 10. But we decided the extra time was worth it to get FC for the 8-9 hour flight versus being stuck in Y.

Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm retired USAF, spent the next 8+ years in the same HQ office as a contractor, currently working for another contractor supporting OSD; I fully understand and agree with this ...

while I believe the JFTR allows things like upfare at your own expense, I don't want to turn this into a debate about ethics (ploys such as purchasing a ticket on the preferred carrier to capture the receipt for reimbursement purposes, then cancelling within the 24-hour window and rebooking on one's own preferred carrier)
Some of the worst abuse I've seen is on routes that are non-GSA city pairs. What happens is you can then select any flight you want, no matter the cost. If you don't select the cheapest flight, you'll just get an email back saying "cheaper flight available" but it's not even sent to the person who approves your travel, just you as an "FYI in case you missed this". I was watching over someone's shoulder (I was trying to help them) and they selected a flight that was over $700 one-way, which was displayed right above a flight that was about $400 one-way. The difference? The $400 flight got in at 6 pm instead of 4:30 pm and the person didn't want to "get back that late" and also because they didn't want to go thru "that city". Over $300 of your taxpayer money wasted for no added benefit. The even better part: on that trip (I was on that trip; I selected the $400 flight thru a different city) - my flight left and got back on-time, while their flight got canceled due to weather and they didn't get home till the following afternoon.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lsumegan
That makes no sense. His colleagues could still be getting upgrades, which are all also flagged as exceptions but understandable ones. That was quite a jump in logic.
Exactly. People are getting upgrades, and an exception notice that the class of service changed from what was booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.