Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I think I am ready to give up on LGA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by rylan
Were there any seats open in F prior to boarding, and where were you on the upgrade list? My guess is it wasn't coded properly.
It was coded properly, I was #1 from T24 on. This happens all the time at LGA because they don't release UG until before boarding and people buy cheaper A fares on flights they have no intention of flying to SDC to the popular ones.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I don't love LGA but its my airport of choice for when I fly to NYC
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bicostal
On company booked business - I do. The issue is that all travel is booked electronically via CONCUR or equivalent and billed through directly to a corporate AMEX card. Very little room to change anything absent IROPs.
In that case, you can call up and upfare using your personal credit card. What's the problem?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lsumegan
In that case, you can call up and upfare using your personal credit card. What's the problem?
Not possible - the ticket is held by the travel group, not Delta - to change ANYTHING requires that Delta take control of the reservation, which they cannot do without it generating an exception and a charge of $50.

Just because you work in a system that uses personal credit cards and expense reports old school, doesn't mean we all do.

I have a large group of employees and I have the responsibility to approve their expense reports - and when this happens (upcharges) it sets off a chain reaction of exception reports and they get kicked upstairs - it just cant be done without violating travel policy and being noticed.

I agree - it sucks but it is what it is - all automated and check edits along the way. When you manage a multi million dollar travel budget, its a whole lot easier NOT to make it your full time job.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
It was coded properly, I was #1 from T24 on. This happens all the time at LGA because they don't release UG until before boarding and people buy cheaper A fares on flights they have no intention of flying to SDC to the popular ones.
9 LGAs (in or out) this year - 7 upgrades, 2 misses. Of the 7 upgrades, 4 were RP/OP, 3 were RU/OU - the misses were Q/Q and U/U and on the LGA-ATL/ATL-LGA route. Except for one ATL-LGA, all BFUGs

No SDCs, no FAPs.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:16 am

Not possible - the ticket is held by the travel group, not Delta - to change ANYTHING requires that Delta take control of the reservation, which they cannot do without it generating an exception and a charge of $50.

Just because you work in a system that uses personal credit cards and expense reports old school, doesn't mean we all do.

I have a large group of employees and I have the responsibility to approve their expense reports - and when this happens (upcharges) it sets off a chain reaction of exception reports and they get kicked upstairs - it just cant be done without violating travel policy and being noticed.

I agree - it sucks but it is what it is - all automated and check edits along the way. When you manage a multi million dollar travel budget, its a whole lot easier NOT to make it your full time job.
LOL, trust me, our travel and expense reporting system is anything but old school. And yes, a fare change does generate an exception, but if I really want First enough, I will just deal with it. The exception requires a manager approval, which I get when I show him that I used my personal card to upfare. Some people don't like to rock the boat and generate exceptions, but if it's important enough to you, you will find a way to make it work.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:25 am

LOL, trust me, our travel and expense reporting system is anything but old school. And yes, a fare change does generate an exception, but if I really want First enough, I will just deal with it. The exception requires a manager approval, which I get when I show him that I used my personal card to upfare. Some people don't like to rock the boat and generate exceptions, but if it's important enough to you, you will find a way to make it work.
In our system - you CANNOT use your personal card to upfare. ALL airline charges are automatic against the Corporate Amex card. Period. IF you have Delta pull the res to their side to allow you to do as you suggest it is out of compliance. Sorry - but there is at least one Fortune 100 company where it is NOT possible to upfare to FC when on business travel.

Its not an opinion, it is a fact.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Has anyone every really expected to get advanced upgrades out of LGA during peak travel periods?

Its been like that forever out of LGA, particularly on routes to the hubs.

With the high amount of paid F, FCM or not, plus boatloads of elites in NYC it makes sense.

I flew in/out of NYC every week for a year back when I was PM at NW then DM at DL and I think I got upgraded maybe a handful of times on the outbound flights.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In our system - you CANNOT use your personal card to upfare. ALL airline charges are automatic against the Corporate Amex card. Period. IF you have Delta pull the res to their side to allow you to do as you suggest it is out of compliance. Sorry - but there is at least one Fortune 100 company where it is NOT possible to upfare to FC when on business travel.

Its not an opinion, it is a fact.
Thats a pretty crappy system then if they have it so tightly locked down and controlled that an employee can't pay out of their own pocket for a better seat. I guess there must be large differences in the different types of corp booking systems. We use Amex travel and book through them using direct bill to corp card. I've been able to call DL and upfare just paying the difference without them charging to take over the ticket.

Later I end up getting an email from Amex travel about a flight change notification, and it just shows 'upgrade to first/business class' in the details. Maybe its something different with how our travel dept books the tickets.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Thats a pretty crappy system then if they have it so tightly locked down and controlled that an employee can't pay out of their own pocket for a better seat. I guess there must be large differences in the different types of corp booking systems. We use Amex travel and book through them using direct bill to corp card. I've been able to call DL and upfare just paying the difference without them charging to take over the ticket.

Later I end up getting an email from Amex travel about a flight change notification, and it just shows 'upgrade to first/business class' in the details. Maybe its something different with how our travel dept books the tickets.
It might be a crappy system but it is what it is. It was the same at my former company: Concur and company credit card only.
I'm now lucky that I work for a small company who let's you use your personal credit card top buy on delta.com. So I do buy cheapest coach, print and expense. Cancel and up using $ or miles.
But I do know that not everyone is as lucky as me.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 am

Same here. Looks like Concur could learn something from Amex. When I was 34 weeks pregnant and had to travel on a cross country business trip, there's no way I would have accepted the fact that I had to fly coach. I gladly paid to upfare. I would not have been a happy employee if I had not been able to do that.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences using ADTRAV

the company I work for had been on Orbitz, but we were acquired a couple months ago; I haven't yet been to the briefing, but saw some unpleasant language on the overview slides:

> We use managed travel as a valuable cost-control tool.
>>We perform detailed analysis on specific aspects of travel spend while looking at broader travel trends to:
>>> Contain costs (lower agency fees, negotiated pricing to lower purchase price, etc.)
>>> Capture missed opportunities for savings
>>> Continue to cut costs by further price negotiations
>>> Increase savings through volume leverage and policy adoptions
> By providing visibility to costs and patterns, the Travel Department can empower VP/GMs to find solutions in trimming their budgets so that you can still do your jobs at a lower cost.

Volume Discounts/Leverage
> The more you participate the more we can leverage our volume with suppliers for larger discounts and greater savings
>Using Preferred Vendors creates overall savings which outweighs the savings of a few who independently book online.

Non-compliant Behavior
> Booking outside of preferred program
> Policy Deviations
> Lose the ability to track spend
> Loss of leverage weakens future negotiations with vendors
> Overall bottom line is compromised
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jrl767

the company I work for had been on Orbitz, but we were acquired a couple months ago; I haven't yet been to the briefing, but saw some unpleasant language on the overview slides:

>>We perform detailed analysis on specific aspects of travel spend while looking at broader travel trends to:
>>> Contain costs (lower agency fees, negotiated pricing to lower purchase price, etc.)
> By providing visibility to costs and patterns, the Travel Department can empower VP/GMs to find solutions in trimming their budgets so that you can still do your jobs at a lower cost.

> The more you participate the more we can leverage our volume with suppliers for larger discounts and greater savings
>Using Preferred Vendors creates overall savings which outweighs the savings of a few who independently book online.

Non-compliant Behavior
> Policy Deviations
I think I am missing the unpleasant language...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
What's the longest scheduled route out of LGA these days? DEN? MIA? Around 4 hours either way?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by jrl767

Non-compliant Behavior
> Policy Deviations
I think I am missing the unpleasant language...
+2
We need more of this in the DoD (better oversight on how people spend when they travel). Unfortunately, right now much of the waste is allowable under the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

Originally Posted by mmichael453
What's the longest scheduled route out of LGA these days? DEN? MIA? Around 4 hours either way?
For service every day except Saturday: DEN - the only city that is exempt from the perimeter rule at LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.